My quick grip clamps are now gathering dust

Review by Marcus posted 536 days ago 2618 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My quick grip clamps are now gathering dust No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, maybe my quick grip clamps are not gathering dust, but they are definitely not getting used near as much after purchase a few of these. I bought 3 of the 40” versions to supplement other clamps on a very large glue. They quickly became my go to clamps.

Unlike my other bessey parallel clamps, these have a nice large rubber handle that make it easy to really twist and lock down on a piece. I’ve yet to have any issues with flexing with them either, but most of the work I am doing does not require the sort of clamp pressure that might torque a clamp. The one instance where I did put some serious torque on these, I did not notice any flexing, and that was smashing a #20 biscuit into a #10 slot!

Another reviewer mentioned the heads not having a stop on them causing them to slide down the bar and crash into the end. I will freely admit that is definitely annoying and keeps me from giving these 5 stars. I also wish that the clamps came with more than 2 of the little leveling feet. 2 feet is plenty for a 12” clamp and a couple small boards, but for larger work, a few extra would be nice.

View brtech's profile

brtech

Yeah, agree in all respects. I have 6 of them, 4 in 50” and 2 of the 40”, and I really, really NEED more. I was glueing up a bench top and just didn’t have enough. My aluminum bar clamps and pipe clamps were helpful, but not as much as the K body Revos.

One more annoyance = sometimes the clamp wont start to grab unless you squeeze the aluminum bar that the handle threads through to the bottom jaw. You screw in and screw in, but it doesn’t clamp.

But the problems are small, and the usefulness of the clamp is so large that I really NEED more.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

990 posts in 1965 days

Interesting. I have some of the older K-bodies and had heard that the Revos weren’t as good. I only have 40’s and 50’s and have been looking for some of the smaller ones, but the older K-bodies are like hens’ teeth. I may have to grab some of these. Thanks for the review

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

Marcus

I have some older 60” Bessey K-bodies as well, and these are far and above better for me. Personal preference may come into play I suppose though.

View BenI's profile

BenI

I have 4 – 24” ones and I love them, can be pricey but definitely worth it. Great clamping pressure and as mentioned, no flexing. When I need longer clamps for bigger glue ups, these will be my first choice.

-- Ben from IL

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

The clamps are supposed to come with a stop clip. If yours are missing contact Bessey for a replacement if you explain to them they were gone when you got the clamp they may even give them to you. This clamp can be removed from the bar to turn the head around or to gang more than one clamp together for extra long projects.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View dahenley's profile

dahenley

i jumped from a bessey pipe style clamp to these (i bought the 4 pack that comes with 2 long and 2 short with riser locks)
these are fantastic. i later bought some pony F-style clamps…

These are my #1 no matter the size…. (i have some Jet F-style clamps as well)

I am a large guy with above average build, and i have probably over clamped things…. and there has never been any flex (like other style) or no flex that i have been able to see. (i havent put the straight edge on the bar during a clamp up….. but these are amazing clamps!!!!

-- David Henley

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Here’s my collection of Bessys…from 12” to 60”....I have around 30, and have added a few more since this pixs was taken in the shop…..

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

They are great clamps I have the Jets and some Besseys… Love them,,,, I over clamp everthing because of these things LOL Here is my collection,.....

View mbs's profile

mbs

I picked up some Jet clamps at Christmas. 4@ 24” and 4 @ 40” with the risers. They were on sale for $198 which was too good to pass up.

I have the bessy’s too but I like the jet better.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View lumberjoe's profile

lumberjoe

Maybe it’s just me, but I have yet to find a better parallel clamp than the Jorgensen cabinet master.

-- www.etsy.com/shop/KandJWoodCrafts

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

Buy Jet…

-- Rick

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

We are talking about 2 different classes of clamps. Each of these is designed for a specific type of work. If you are not using the Quik Grip clamp as much you were probably trying to use it for the wrong job. They have their place and that is clamping things that require one hand to close them. That is hard to do with Bessey or Jet clamps like you are touting. It is hard to get lots of pressure with the Quik Grip clamps. Different designs for different jobs.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

I have a couple of these clamps…they work great, but I prefer Jorgensen clamps, their smooth bar is a lot easier to scrape glue off of than Bessey’s serrated bar….

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

Marcus

I find some people’s responses to reviews pretty entertaining. It’s like they’re personally offended if you give a good review to a product that is not their favorite of the item!

I do appreciate the constructive conversation. I think I need to track down a jorgensen and jet clamp to give them a try, they seem to be quite popular as well.

View brtech's profile

brtech

A interesting factoid:

Did you know that “Bessey” is pronounced “Bess-Eye” and not “Bess-eee”?
It’s a German company and that’s how the German’s pronounce it.

There is a promo on You-Tube which shows the steel factory (yes, they own the factory that makes the steel, or rather the steel company got into the clamp business) with a nice UK english commentary where the guy correctly pronounces “Bess-Eye”.