Great lumber in Southern California

Review by david_larch posted 02-07-2013 06:09 PM 2073 views 4 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great lumber in Southern California Great lumber in Southern California No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I don’t remember how I heard of this place, but having exhausted my search for decent Walnut in San Diego I decided to try something different.

These guys are located in the Brea / Anaheim area so it was about an hour drive for me. I called up first and spoke with a sales rep – Steven – who informed me that their stock was great with extra wide boards. One thing that is different than what many are used to is that you don’t pick your lumber. You tell them what you need and they grab it when you get there. This was fine with me and my project requirements. I let him know I was looking for 20bf of 4/4 walnut FAS and I was told to show up to will call and pick it up. If I didn’t like it, don’t take it. Cool.

When I showed up I approved the purchase order and a guy went and grabbed 3 boards. All boards were 8 footers and way straighter than I had expected. What I also didnt expect was that they were all over 10” wide with the largest (pictured) at 12.5”. Oh and the 4/4 was an 1 1/8” thick. It was under $6 a bf and exceeded my expectations.

I try to pay less than $5 bf but its a near impossibility to find good walnut in SD for that.

My sales rep also told me that they deliver to San Diego with no minimum purchase and what I considered a very reasonable delivery charge.

-- www.alibiwoodworks.com

View david_larch's profile

david_larch

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#1 posted 02-07-2013 06:12 PM

Good to know, thanks David.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 02-07-2013 10:05 PM

Back when I lived in OC, I used to spend many a days hanging around those lumber yards that have some Awesome hardwoods.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

1120 posts in 1931 days

#3 posted 02-07-2013 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for alternative suppliers to Austin Hardwoods just to compare service and prices.

You seem to imply they don’t allow visitors other than picking up orders or ordering. Ill have to give them a call as I need some pricing anyway.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View Ken90712's profile (online now)

#4 posted 02-08-2013 02:03 AM

I’ll have to ck them out as well. I go to Austin’s, Reel lumber, Penn and Bohnhoff Lumber Co. Bohnhoff is great, some people don’t like it being it’s all rough lumber and kind of dirty. It’s not all pretty like in the stores, so the surprise awaits you when you get home.

Thx for the info.

View Quiglag's profile

Quiglag

#5 posted 02-08-2013 09:14 AM

http://www.petermanlumber.com/ in Fontana is also a good place to shop. There are actually a few good places in the Inland Empire.

-- Chris, Southern California, www.tool-rank.com

View MikeyLikesIt's profile

MikeyLikesIt

#6 posted 02-08-2013 06:32 PM

This is a very timely post as I just started woodworking and I am having a difficult time finding lumber. I am in Temecula and woodfinder has not been very helpful. I have a local hardware store called Hanks hardware but 3/4” thick S2S is the thickest stock they deal with.

Any advice for someplace closer to me as these all seem to be in LA or Orange County?

View Shawn Masterson's profile

Shawn Masterson

#7 posted 02-09-2013 02:59 PM

I must be very lucky. I have a guy that lives 2 miles down the road form me(south bend IN) who has a wood miser. he is always sawing something he has air dried walnut, poplar, cherry, red and white oak, ash, sassafras, and a few other local woods. not everything he has is perfect, but it is all $1 a BF or less and if you bring him a log he will wand it and if it is clean he charges $ 0.30 a BF to saw the log if you stack it coming off the mill. It is great to be spoiled.
Sorry to gloat these prices are the reason I invested in a 20” planer. The last lumber I picked up was 3 R oak 2×10x18 and they were really 9/4 and they were knot free. They were only $30 for all 3.