Veritas Brass Bench Dogs

Review by Mauricio posted 536 days ago 2655 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Brass Bench Dogs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have only used these dogs for a couple of days and so far I am very impressed.

I was one of those that said, bahhha I don’t need to spend $30 bucks on something I can make out of wood. But, I wanted to add some bling to my bench and reward myself for accomplishing my bench build.

What sold me was going to Highland Woodworking, opening a box and inspecting a pair of these dogs and feeling the gripping face. There is a texture there that is not entirely apparent by looking at them. Besides the cross hatch pattern there are raised burrs and a ridged texture that doesn’t come across in pictures. You can file your finger nails with it. It’s nice and rough.

When clamping a piece of wood between dogs in my wagon vise the grip is amazing. I can move the bench around and the wood does not move. I cant do the same with wooden dogs.

Also, for those that think that these brass dogs can damage your planes if you accidentally hit them. I can confirm that it does not appear to be an issue.

Last night I hit one of these dogs with a pretty aggressive cut from a vintage Stanley #5, one with a vintage thin iron. And the plane iron won. I took a gouge out of the brass dog and the cutting edge is not damaged but is dulled in one spot. It still cuts but will need to be sharpened.

In short, there is no comparison between these dogs and shop made dowel dogs. IMHO if you have round dog holes and an end vise on your bench you should seriously consider buying a pair of these. Especially if you do a lot of hand planing.

Edit: One last thing. I did have an issue with them fitting into the 3/4” holes I had already drilled in my bench. I had to do a little sanding to get them to fit. Not sure if this was caused by the diameter of the dogs or if my bench shrunk after drilling the holes (still a little green). I’ll have to check the exact diameter of the dogs.

Mauricio

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View Mauricio's profile

View John's profile

John

thanks for (partially) sacrificing one of your dogs for this review! good to know about the rough finish and especially good to know that Stanley won the fight! i bought a set and a wonder dog for my bench (in lieue of a tail vise for the time being) – but they are still unopened awaiting the completion of the bench

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

I have 4 of these dogs and the BENCH PUP and they perform as advertised. I use them a great deal of the time and the built in spring keeps the dogs in position. When planing I put a piece of sacrificial stock between the dogs and the stock being planed to help prevent tear out of the end grain.
They do fit nicely in a 3/4” hole on my vice and bench top.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

I’ve got the same as Coastie above; a pair of dogs and the pup. Wonderful mates for the bench, can’t imagine doing without them anymore. I’ve hit the brass once with a plane iron, but that’s it. It’s how you set up for the task, really. Gotta know how low you need to go with the dogs.

Great review, and after a couple years I’d suggest they’ll still rate five stars. (Mine do!)

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View AnthonyReed's profile

AnthonyReed

I purchased the the Wonder Dog and now have these bench dogs in my cart waiting on the next free shipping event. I still need to drill the holes in my short bus worthy “bench” and am looking forward to having a better holding option than a sticking board type of affair.

It is nice to hear that they come highly recommended (enduringly so in some cases) from trusted sources. Thank you for the review Mauricio.

-- ~Tony

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

Glad to be of service. I didn’t see a previous review so I figured I’d better give these dogs the merit they deserve!

Smitty, hopefully I’m cured after the first run in with the dog. I was planing an odd shaped piece I was going to put on the lathe (handle for a brass mallet). The ends are narrower than the middle so I was planing downwards towards the dog. I didnt have the piece sitting on the bench it was suspended in the air by the dogs (dumb). So the end slipped and I went into the dog. I was also talking on the phone and not paying attention to what I was doing. Lesson learned.

View Don W's profile

Don W

Thanks Mauricio. I wouldn’t have considered it before. Now, maybe!

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

Mauricio, this is funny because I purchased a set of the brass bench pups from Highland on the same day. I absolutely love them. They fit in the holes perfectly, look stylish, and function absolutely flawlessly. Next time I’m there, I’m going to get another set, or maybe I should get some prairie dogs (which they unfortunately don’t sell at highland).

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

Got the dogs, pups and prairy dogs, and they’re great, only damage I’ve done is sanding the top of one.
(also have a pair of their original steel dogs..wouldn’t want to hit one of them with a blade ;-)
Afler pushing a pup too far into a blind hole I did make a modification, like the steel dogs had, added a hole into the face of the dog (goes right through) and chamfered them. Now if I do a DOH, at least I can hook ‘em out..

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

Wow, I should have bought some of these. I have 4 aluminum ones that look like an identical casting. Mine are a hideous aqua blue, and the brass would be so much nicer. But mine work just fine, so until I accidentally lose them all, I can’t justify buying the pretty ones.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View Luke's profile

Luke

Bought the dogs a while ago. Use them ALL the time.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com