8 x 72 3HP Jointer from Santa

Review by Ken90712 posted 02-06-2013 01:30 AM 3046 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
8 x 72 3HP Jointer from Santa 8 x 72 3HP Jointer from Santa 8 x 72 3HP Jointer from Santa Click the pictures to enlarge them

Santa ( aka Blondie ) was good to me again this year. I have been using a Delta 6 inch Table Top Jointer for yrs. As most of you know that can be a challenge when doing 8 foot boards.

After a lot of research we decided on this one with the normal cutter head. Cpl buddies say the Helix can leave lines in the wood. Think this might be myth truthfully, however I can always up grade later if I feel I need to. I have been using the blade method for ever and it has worked fine for me. I thought about the Parrellogram jointer as well. We use eccentrics on our airplanes flight controls, but I have never had a problem setting up machinery.

So the negative stuff first. Boxes arrived in good shape. When I opened the wood crate with table inside it look fine. When I was cleaning the oil off there was overspray and two small blemishes in the casting, not such a big deal. When opened the Base it looked like it was dropped. When I looked inside at the motor, the 2 brackets that the motor was mounted on were bent in opposite directions, which says to me it was dropped. I took them to my press and straighten them out.

Once together and all rigged and after hrs of cleaning overspray off I got her up and running. The fence on the outfeed side of table toward the top is so slightly off square. Which says I need to shim the front dove tail.

When I called Grizzly the first guy blew me off. He said the parts were on the way but when I called a week later looking for them I found out he never did an action report or ordered the parts. Eric the 2nd rep did as he promised and sent the replacements as promised. I asked for them to be overnighted as I have already waited a week and half but they would not.

It was a deal $715 plus $150 for shipping but it could have been better. I have been thinking of buying Grizzly’s 5HP table saw but might go to another company the way they seem to be going.

The machine with all that said runs well and does great job on all the hardwoods I use. So a 3 star is the best I can give her.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#1 posted 02-06-2013 01:50 AM

Good review Ken. It’s too bad about your initial problems. I hope that the machine works well for you in the long run.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View wiswood2's profile

wiswood2

#2 posted 02-06-2013 01:59 AM

You should have went after comp. first and grizzly at the same time, it was the freight comp. fault and there had to be insurance on the shipping. I would have went after a new jointer, good luck with, I just got a new 6 inch from them and every thing was right on.
Chuck

-- Chuck, wiswood2 www.wisconsinwoodchuck.com

View gvales's profile

gvales

#3 posted 02-06-2013 02:08 AM

When I went to pick my stuff up from ups freight, I got to watch and witness how badly the freight is handled! It was scary. I don’t know how all freight isn’t damaged!

View hasbeen's profile

hasbeen

#4 posted 02-06-2013 02:08 AM

Greetings from the socialist capital of America – California.
There is more than one reason they call it the ’left coast’?

My friend bought a new motor from Grizzly for his metal lathe. Major problems not only with the motor but also with customer service to the point that they refuse to sell to him anymore.

Lee
Moreno Valley’s local has-been.
Servant of the Living God.

-- I may not have a lot of good ideas, but some of them are just incredible.

View jim C's profile

jim C

#5 posted 02-06-2013 02:24 AM

hasbeen,

Are you thinking of getting out of the “left coast” ?
The state is off the wall crazy!

View ken_c's profile (online now)

ken_c

#6 posted 02-06-2013 02:35 AM

here is hoping it works for you -

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#7 posted 02-06-2013 02:44 AM

Oh Dang, sorry about your troubles. That sucks.
I somehow know that you will get this thing going in its full glory. And boy, will that be nice.
8 inches and 3hp – zow. Give it some love and enjoy.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View gawthrrw's profile

gawthrrw

#8 posted 02-06-2013 02:52 AM

I have the same jointer and I love it! I end up using the hand plane on my wood after the jointer anyhow so the regular cutters are plenty good enough for that. Good buy!

-- Rob, Dallas TX

View bullhead1's profile

bullhead1

#9 posted 02-06-2013 02:58 AM

Just when I thought of buying a table saw from Grizzly instead of paying a premium for a similar Shop
Fox saw I see this. Makes me think the $200 premium for setup, tuned and ready to go and 2 year warranty might be worth it. I think this might have pushed me over the edge.

View JR_Dog's profile

JR_Dog

#10 posted 02-06-2013 03:15 AM

Great review Ken; specifically about straight vs. helical cutters, and even though it wasn’t in the condition anyone would/should expect after paying close to a 1000 after you factor in your labor it’s still very nice and I’m still very envious. Take care of yourself

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#11 posted 02-06-2013 04:54 AM

COOL Jointer!

Nice Santa! You must have been a good boy! LOL

I can’t picture using a desktop for years!

Glad you got upgraded… !

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

#12 posted 02-06-2013 02:54 PM

Hey Ken -

I actually had the same jointer at my house for about a week before sending it back to Grizzly. There were all kinds of QA issues with mine. I actually did not even get it set up to cut before it was time to send mine back, so just curious how pleased you are w/ the performance.

I ended up getting the G0490 instead, and it had none of the QA problems I saw w/ the 656.

#13 posted 02-06-2013 03:06 PM

Once up and running I have been happy other than the fence issue I need to correct as mentioned in review. I do realize the one thing in life is normally true, is you get what you pay for. Grizzly offers some good deals but at times it feels like you’re dealing with Harbor Freight. They are so big and could be so much better, but what can you do? I have read reviews from other on different companies and them having the same problems.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#14 posted 02-06-2013 04:21 PM

Great review, Ken. You mentioned that the box was in good shape but the jointer looked like it was dropped. That implies it was damaged before it was shipped, meaning someone at Grizzly shipped a tool they knew was damaged. Is that a fair assessment?

View newTim's profile

newTim

#15 posted 02-06-2013 06:24 PM

I have the spiral cutter (with the small square cutters) and I can tell you it is no myth that they can leave lines in the wood. The cutters are indexed but it is real easy for one of them not to seat properly. If any one of them is off by just a micron, you’ll get a line. When I got my jointer the cutting squares were frozen in place and it was impossible to loosen their screws without stripping the heads. Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh! Can you believe they ended up sending me a complete upper half of the jointer? How do they make any money. The shipping costs must eat them alive. Customer service is also hit or miss as you found out. Not to mention all the hassles to make sure the delivery truck has a lift gate and the driver has a rolling stand that can be used to roll the crate into your shop. Honestly I don’t know of any equipment company other than Saw Stop that is any better. SawStop nails it in every category.

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com