Dust Collection Upgrade

Review by TheDane posted 02-05-2013 07:12 PM 8622 views 5 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Collection Upgrade Dust Collection Upgrade Dust Collection Upgrade Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have wanted a two-stage dust collection system for some time, so decided to take the leap and order an Oneida Super Dust Deputy.

The Super Dust Deputy (SDD) was well packed and everything (SDD, installation bolts, foam gasket, and the 5”-to-4” and 6”-to-4” reducers) was packed in a single box surrounded by plastic and foam. Because of the lid I opted for, I substituted the bolts Oneida provided with 1/4” x 20 tpi x 2 1/2” that I had on hand in the shop.

Oneida offers a barrel that is made for the SDD, but I opted for a home-spun solution. I laminated two 20” x 20” x 3/4” sheets of MDF together, and used my circle jig to route a 3/8” groove that matched the inside diameter of a 20-gallon garbage can. I installed a 3/8” wide by 1/4” thick strip of foam insulation in the bottom of the groove.

To make it mobile (I still like pretty much everything on wheels in my shop), I made a base out of scrap lumber and attached casters to it.

The lid fits snug on the can, but for extra security, I installed eye-hooks on top of the lid and on the base for a set of bungee cords.

I turned some scrap stock on the lathe and made a pretty good-sized pile of shavings which I then sucked up with the dust collector. Nothing detectable would up in the bag, and the pile was relocated to the bottom of the can.

I don’t have any empirical data, and it does seem that I have a little less suction, but I think that is to be expected, particularly when using reducers to accommodate 4” hoses. I think the loss in suction is offset by getting less in the filter and not having to empty the DC bag quite so often.

BTW, the dust collector shown is a Jet DC650A that I picked up on CraigsList for $50. I added the PSI canister filter (~$130) last year, and bought the Super Dust Deputy and reducers for the SDD inlet and outlet for ~$220 plus S&H. My total investment, including hoses, fittings, etc. is in the $460 range.

Down the road, I will probably replace the dust collector with a more powerful unit, but for now, I am pretty happy with it. And my future plans include moving the SDD to whatever new configuration I come up with.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#1 posted 02-05-2013 07:20 PM

Nice set up, Gerry. If you haven’t done the “wok mod” to your dust collector, it makes a difference in how much dust gets up to the canister. Watch the “tornado” in the bag and you’ll see how far up into the upper section it goes.

#2 posted 02-05-2013 09:41 PM

I have been thinking about the wok mod … maybe I’ll do that next.

I just ran a bunch of stock on the tablesaw and cut a batch of pen blanks on the bandsaw … nothing in the bag at all. When the DC is running, I’m not seeing the familiar tornado in the bag.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 02-05-2013 11:09 PM

Looks good! Thanks for the review!

View MJCD's profile

MJCD

#4 posted 02-05-2013 11:38 PM

About 1 year ago, I upgraded my DC to include a SDD separator (and you will loose some suction, simply because you’ve placed something else into the air stream), and I can say it is one of the best investments I’ve made. I’ve also added a Wynn Environmental HEPA canister onto the 1.5hp Delta. I have a HD trash can sitting below the SDD, and it accumulates the vast majority of the debris and fines.

I fully recommend this upgrade.
MJCD

-- Lead By Example; Make a Difference

View BenR's profile

BenR

#5 posted 02-06-2013 12:21 AM

Gerry, I am thinking of doing the very same thing. I have a jet 1.5hp DC, and have been thinking of selling it and getting the well reviewed Harbor Freight 2hp (should be ~even exchange). The thing that I noticed in your setup that may be causing a decrease in suction is the piping. If you decided to leave the DC in one place, then you could use the slick metal pipe. This way you may be able to gain some of the suction loss back from “simply having something else in the air stream”. Just a thought; it might work.

#6 posted 02-06-2013 12:58 AM

Dane, nice job and a very good review. Glad you’re doing well, I Have been thinking of getting the filter on top of mine instead of the bag. My just collector stays outside the shop in the back yard so dust isn’t the issue. Then it gets put away in the garage when done. Running out of room in the shop LOL

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#7 posted 02-06-2013 01:55 AM

Very good… I like my Baby Onieda Dust Deputy… no complaints…

They’re sure riding the Dust Deputy line aren’t they?

#8 posted 02-06-2013 02:12 AM

Nikki—Actually, you are right. I didn’t think it would make sense to use piping on a 650cfm dust collector … I just drag the hose from machine to machine. If/when I upgrade to a more powerful DC, I will probably run PVC lines to them.

Joe—I also have a plastic Dust Deputy that I use with my shop vacuum … been using it for about 3 years. I have been really happy with the products I purchased from Oneida.

View JerryLab's profile

JerryLab

#9 posted 02-06-2013 11:42 AM

Nice job Gerry. I plan on doing the same upgrade on my Delta. Already added the canister from Wynn.
Jerry

-- Jerry, Waupaca, WI

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

#10 posted 02-06-2013 02:00 PM

I built a Thein set-up (http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm) to attach to my HF dust collection. I’ve used it for over two years. It does a great job but I get a lot of caked dust in the canister filter and it is difficult to remove the trash can holding the dust.

Can you compare the Super Dust Deputy to the Thein design? Is the suction about the same? Do both remove the same amount of dust?

Thanks in advance. Good review.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia

#11 posted 02-06-2013 03:30 PM

Chuck—Wish I could give some comparison, but I have no experience with a Thien separator.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#12 posted 02-06-2013 10:47 PM

One thing to remember is that you want some caked dust on the inside of the cartridge filter to get the right MERV rating. Too much of a good thing and you lose suction due to resistance. Not enough and you get too many fines in the air.

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

#13 posted 02-07-2013 04:32 AM

Good review! You might reconsider your decision to favor the flex hose over smooth walled ducting, metal or PVC, because flex hose has about three times the air flow resistance of smooth walled duct. With a DC of that size it would be beneficial to put as much of your airflow to work as possible. Great shop made dust bin, too!

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

#14 posted 02-09-2013 12:04 AM

The recent edition (came in the mail this week – issue 232) of Fine Woodworking has a great article on dust collection upgrades. The award of “Best Overall” was given to the Super Dust Deputy. The article also answered my question regarding Thein vs Super Dust Deputy performance.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia

View CL810's profile

CL810

2029 posts in 1655 days

#15 posted 02-09-2013 03:36 PM

Nice job Dane!

I added the Wynn filter and SDD to my HF unit at the same time and noticed an increase in air flow. I’ve heard before that the SDD will decrease air flow and the Winn filter will increase air flow over a bag (more sq. feet.) So in my experience the increase from the Winn filter change more than offset the decrease from the SDD.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."