Grizzly Wood Threading and Die Set

Review by AKSteve posted 02-04-2013 04:37 PM 4298 views 4 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Wood Threading and Die Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this mostly on Price, I check around at other online stores and this appeared to be the cheapest, with that said I couldn’t just walk in the Door and purchase given my location. it was 11.95 for the Tap and 22.95 for the Die. Grizzly of course delivered right away and I got my purchase within the specified time suggested for my Delivery to Alaska.
Quality: Tap: the overall quality for the Tap was superb, it had no chips or loose metal ends to clean and was oiled to prevent from rusting, 3 pieces included in the package which were the Tap, a cross bar and a screw to hold down the cross bar for turning. the Die: the overall quality was also superb, made from maple and lathe turned handles, a brass nut to hold in the cutting tool and a metal insert for moving the thread through after being cut. this product had a “Made in Taiwan” sticker. yeah it would have been nice to have been made here but this will do for now. the Tap came with instructions in the wrapper and the die had the instructions on the Box. Pretty simple to follow and not much to have to do. Basically for the die you need to a 7/8’s hole to start the process. I used Paduak wood a real hard wood, and threaded the Tap thru with ease, it was very sharp and cut through the wood like butter! I backed it out occasionally to clean the threads. the Die as just as easy and just as slick. I used Home Depot’s 1 inch hardwood dowel. Once I complete the process I put some minwax on the threads to allow the dowel to be screwed into the Paduak, I worked it in and out a couple of times to allow it to loosen up some. the Threads hold really well and tightened the two pieces together really good. I can’t say anything bad about the product. I can’t wait to build something else with it now!

#1 posted 02-04-2013 04:55 PM

Nice review. Do they have other sizes available ?

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

#2 posted 02-04-2013 06:07 PM

I use these exclusively for the connectors on my clock frames. Very useful indeed. www.hardwoodclocks.com

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

#3 posted 02-04-2013 07:28 PM

yep you can get them at Grizzly 3/4 and 1/2 inch sizes.

#4 posted 02-04-2013 11:38 PM

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#5 posted 02-04-2013 11:47 PM

Thanks for the review. I have a 1” from Woodcraft but will consider Grizzly for the other sizes

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 02-05-2013 02:30 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to do wooden threads but was discouraged by all the problems others had posted using router jigs, etc. I’ll be having this set ASAP! Do you think they will tap and thread Jatoba?

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#7 posted 02-05-2013 03:06 AM

I don’t know about Jatoba, but it went thru the Padauk like butter!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#8 posted 02-05-2013 03:47 AM

Thanks Steve. I’m ordering mine tomorrow! Jatoba should make really good stock as it acts like steel!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#9 posted 02-05-2013 01:53 PM

Got the same sort of set some years back from Busy Bee tools, works realy well, just have to watch the dowels for roundness or you get some spots where the thread isn’t full size.
mine’s the 3/4 size and I bought both the through and bottoming taps.
The only modification I made was replacing the tap handles with the type that are used for metal taps, the originals were too light, bent like spaghetti
;-)

Good review, thanks

View Shanem's profile

Shanem

#11 posted 02-26-2013 07:16 PM

Do you know what the tpi is for this die? I couldn’t find any info online.

View JamesVavra's profile

JamesVavra

286 posts in 2002 days

#12 posted 02-28-2013 08:46 PM

@Shane – I have the same one. It’s a pretty coarse thread, maybe 8 tpi. I’ll measure the tap when I get home and report back.