Irwin Passive Lock Bar Clamp

Review by Purrmaster posted 02-04-2013 12:00 AM 2299 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Irwin Passive Lock Bar Clamp No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up at Home Depot a couple of months ago. I hadn’t seen a passive lock clamp before but it was beefy and I wanted something strong. It was designated as a “heavy duty” clamp.

This thing is great. It really is heavy duty. The steel bar is the thickest I’ve seen on a bar clamp and hand screw is beefy too.

I’ve put a ridiculous amount of clamping pressure onto this thing. The bars on all my other bar clamps have deformed because of excessive clamping pressure. This thing hasn’t. It’s still straight no matter how hard I clamp.
I haven’t found the passive style any more difficult to use than a clutch style clamp. The deep throat on this clamp gives it added flexibility.

I’m hoping to pick up another 3 or 4 of these things. I haven’t seen them at Home Depot recently but I’m sure they’ll turn up.

If you want a strong bar clamp that can take a lot of punishment I recommend looking at one of these.

View Purrmaster's profile

View karl roth's profile

karl roth

#1 posted 02-04-2013 04:24 AM

have had several for a couple years now – they work well and i’ve had no problems

View Tennessee's profile

2004 posts in 1600 days

#2 posted 02-04-2013 08:58 PM

I own about 8 of these. Caught them on sale at my local HD quite a while back. They work great for big block glue-ups, like on larger bandsaw boxes. No problems save that little dimple on the bottom that holods the movable piece on the rail, one of mine they missed the dimple, and first time I picked it up the movable piece went to the floor! I just put a little bolt and nut in it, didn’t bother taking it back. Other than that, great clamps.

-- Paul, Tennessee,

View dnick's profile

#3 posted 02-07-2013 04:37 AM

Thank’s for the review. Going to take a serious look at these.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View RoyE's profile

#4 posted 03-06-2013 01:06 AM

I bought 2 of these also and today 1 of them failed. They haven’t been used but 2 or 3 times and one just won’t hold. It keeps slipping on the bar. It’s going back.

-- Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon!

View Grandpa's profile

#5 posted 03-06-2013 04:34 AM

Irwin products are guaranteed for life. IF it fails 5 years after purchase take it back to the store where you got it.

View RoyE's profile

#6 posted 03-06-2013 04:36 AM

Thank you for the info!

-- Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon!