Irwin Passive Lock Bar Clamp

Review by Purrmaster posted 539 days ago 1599 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Irwin Passive Lock Bar Clamp No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up at Home Depot a couple of months ago. I hadn’t seen a passive lock clamp before but it was beefy and I wanted something strong. It was designated as a “heavy duty” clamp.

This thing is great. It really is heavy duty. The steel bar is the thickest I’ve seen on a bar clamp and hand screw is beefy too.

I’ve put a ridiculous amount of clamping pressure onto this thing. The bars on all my other bar clamps have deformed because of excessive clamping pressure. This thing hasn’t. It’s still straight no matter how hard I clamp.
I haven’t found the passive style any more difficult to use than a clutch style clamp. The deep throat on this clamp gives it added flexibility.

I’m hoping to pick up another 3 or 4 of these things. I haven’t seen them at Home Depot recently but I’m sure they’ll turn up.

If you want a strong bar clamp that can take a lot of punishment I recommend looking at one of these.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

View karl roth's profile

karl roth

have had several for a couple years now – they work well and i’ve had no problems
k

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I own about 8 of these. Caught them on sale at my local HD quite a while back. They work great for big block glue-ups, like on larger bandsaw boxes. No problems save that little dimple on the bottom that holods the movable piece on the rail, one of mine they missed the dimple, and first time I picked it up the movable piece went to the floor! I just put a little bolt and nut in it, didn’t bother taking it back. Other than that, great clamps.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View dnick's profile

dnick

Thank’s for the review. Going to take a serious look at these.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View RoyE's profile

RoyE

I bought 2 of these also and today 1 of them failed. They haven’t been used but 2 or 3 times and one just won’t hold. It keeps slipping on the bar. It’s going back.

-- Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon!

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Irwin products are guaranteed for life. IF it fails 5 years after purchase take it back to the store where you got it.

View RoyE's profile

RoyE

Thank you for the info!

-- Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon!