Great Rust Remover

Review by douglbe posted 02-03-2013 06:39 PM 2712 views 5 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Rust Remover Great Rust Remover Great Rust Remover Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking for something to easily remove rust from some hand planes I am restoring. I was contemplating using electrolysis and I came across an article the other day on using The Works Toilet Bowl cleaner, so today I gave it a try. I used it at full strength and put the parts in for 20 minutes and this virtually removed all rust, it doesn’t get any easier than this. Now I need to find a pan largest enough to hold the body of this #5 Stanley. Use in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves. Easily 5 stars!

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

#1 posted 02-03-2013 06:51 PM

I have a Millers Falls No.22 that I recently acquired, I will be trying this and reporting back as well.

20 minutes and what did you use to scrub/wipe it off?

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 02-03-2013 06:54 PM

Good to know, thanks Doug.

View douglbe's profile

douglbe

#3 posted 02-03-2013 07:05 PM

GlennsGrandson, there were two very small areas I lightly scrubbed with steel wool and rinsed with water, it was that easy. Good luck with your Millers Falls.

-- Doug, Reed City, Michigan

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

494 posts in 1974 days

#4 posted 02-03-2013 07:23 PM

Great discovery, Doug! It’s always gratifying to find common solutions like this.

I’ve also found that you can soak rusted metal in 10:1 water-molasses or straight apple cider vinegar. Takes a lot longer than 20 minutes (like a week longer), but it works!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Dan Krager's profile

Dan Krager

#5 posted 02-03-2013 07:27 PM

“Snobol” is a stronger cousin to “The Works”, but around here you are a terrorist if you buy it…you have to sign for it and give all sorts of personal information to get it. Never thought about using them on tools! I’m gonna try this too.
DanK

-- Dan Krager, Olney IL http://www.kragerwoodworking.weebly.com

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#6 posted 02-03-2013 09:48 PM

I’ll have to try this. I wonder how it compares to EvapoRust which has been my go-to rust remover. One thing is that it’s probably a heck of a lot cheaper than EvopoRust.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Radu's profile

Radu

#7 posted 02-03-2013 10:40 PM

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it next time I need to de-rust anything. I’ve been using phosphoric acid (the one for pool cleaning)

#8 posted 02-03-2013 10:53 PM

Not sure what the active ingredients are in “the Works” so I might be a little Leary, I have used Evapo-Rust and many others have had good results with it too. Evapo-Rust is not caustic and is reusable.

View JohnnyB's profile

JohnnyB

#9 posted 02-03-2013 11:11 PM

The active ingredient in this appears to hydrochloric acid, aka muriatic acid, according to the MSDS. One of the industrial uses of hydrochloric acid is “pickling” steel to remove oxides. That explains why it works so well. HCl is dangerous in liquid and in aerosolized forms, so you don’t want to breathe it or get it on you. Thanks for the review. I am going to give it a try.

-- JohnnyB - - Sometimes determination can substitute for skill.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#10 posted 02-03-2013 11:12 PM

But Jim, The Works is a dual use product. You can’t get a gleaming toilet bowl with evapo-rust.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#11 posted 02-03-2013 11:14 PM

Thanks Johnny. We’ll try to resist the temptation of brushing our teeth with it. ;)

#12 posted 02-03-2013 11:23 PM

funny stuff Tedstor
I think I’ll stick with Evapo rust it’s much safer

.http://www.evaporust.com/

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

#13 posted 02-03-2013 11:39 PM

Now I need to find a pan largest enough to hold the body of this #5 Stanley.
I have a suggestion:

Thanks for the tip!

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View Dan Krager's profile

Dan Krager

#14 posted 02-04-2013 12:07 AM

I ordered a pot tray from a garden supply store for putting the saw plates in. Just right sizes available.
DanK

-- Dan Krager, Olney IL http://www.kragerwoodworking.weebly.com

#15 posted 02-04-2013 12:48 AM

I read about this products use for cleaning rust someplace and they did recommend safety precautions

-- Norman