great finishing light

Review by shelly_b posted 537 days ago 1727 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
great finishing light great finishing light great finishing light Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was at lowes lastnight during one of my weekly shopping trips there and decided i needed a light for my bench. The overhead lights are just not bright enough for detailed work and there are oo many shadows. It is esp hard when i am doing finish. I was just looking for a regular desk lamp when i found this one with some neatextras. It has an outlet on the base and a swivel base wih compartments for “pencils” or whatever wood working tools i want toput in it. Maybe it jas just been a while since i have shopped for a desk lamp, but i was really excited when i saw this! It will be nice to not have to search the bench /floor for small tools!

shelly_b

View DIYaholic's profile (online now)

DIYaholic

Looks like a good find.

Just a few words of advice:
1) It works better when plugged in.
2) It is MUCH brighter with a bulb installed
3) Shine it into the corner…..
Someone parked a lawn tractor in your shop!!!

I’m glad you have “seen” the light!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Roger's profile

It is always a good idea to check your finish with a light such as this. Thnx for the review

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Just don’t go breaking the ground lugs off your tools to use that outlet, LOL.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Get one of those “curly-que” bulbs (CFL) You can get 100watts of light from 23 watts of power usage. And if you read the packages I believe the ones packaged in blue are the “whitest light” so they’re a bit brighter. Added benefit is the CFLs give off almost NO heat.

And pink? Didnt they have it in blue? :-)

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

shelly_b

Lol yes they do have it in blue! And i have a ton of the curly bulbs in the house(they were on sale) but it was like 10° outside with a windchill th would feeeze your nose hairs so i didnt want to make unwanted trips lol. So though i have not plugged it in and turned it on, i figure a light is a light and i just like all of the neat features it has… so more of a review on the base than the light itself….and that darn tractor takes up alot of space in my shop, so does the wood splitter but atleast the dirt bikes r finally in his room!

shelly_b

“my” side of the garage is slowly being taken over…and the other bad part is my side also has the doors and wood burner so he and all of his friends have to go through my side to get to his which means it is impossible to keep my floor clean!! and they tend to leave their trash in my shop…but I guess it’s better than no shop at all!

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3588 posts in 1964 days

You could get a couple of different LED lamps with different color temperatures to see how the finish looks in different light plus having extremely low power consumption (80% of a CFL) and very long life (typically 15 years). Most LED lamps can also be dimmed!

Color temperatures with incandescent lamps is not easy to control and with CFLs there are basically cool and/or warm white.

I have a couple of LED lamps in fixtures my grand kids can reach as I don’t want them around CFL lamps and the hazards they present (even adults need to be careful around CFL or any fluorescent lamps).

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View Cosmicsniper's profile

Cosmicsniper

I was going to say how woosified LJs is becoming, but then I realized the poster is a girl. :)

Thanks for the review, Shelly. It’s cool to be reminded that these kinds of things can be good fixtures in a shop.

-- jay, www.allaboutastro.com

shelly_b

lol yes, i am a girl:) but i would have to make fun of a guy if they posted this too!

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Note to self... dont tell anyone about the pink router I just bought :-)

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

shelly_b

haha i want one!! can you atleast tell me where you got it:) maybe i could make my whole shop match my light!

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

Shell_b…..go here not a router but some other stuff.

A friend of mine in Canada is a dealer for them.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

shelly_b

dallas-lol i was really just kidding, but those are some pretty tools! i don’t think i would pay more for the color of any tool:)

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

3588 posts in 1964 days

Joe did you get your pink router the same place I did?

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View crashn's profile

crashn

Shelly,
My wife just reminded me that when we went to the Baltimore Wood Working show, there was a vendor / mfg that had all pink tools. Cant remember their name, sorry.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes