Magnogrip Quick Snap Magnetic Tape Measure Holder...Redesign is MUCH BETTER !!!

Review by PASs posted 537 days ago 2378 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Magnogrip Quick Snap Magnetic Tape Measure Holder...Redesign is MUCH BETTER !!! Magnogrip Quick Snap Magnetic Tape Measure Holder...Redesign is MUCH BETTER !!! Magnogrip Quick Snap Magnetic Tape Measure Holder...Redesign is MUCH BETTER !!! Click the pictures to enlarge them

If you read my first review I was much under-impressed with the actual design of the belt clip.
Magnogrip corporation responded to my complaint and shipped me a redesigned belt clip.
I put it on my jeans workbelt that afternoon and was impressed with its tenacity…I actually COULDN’T get the clip off without taking the belt off.
Today I wore it most of the day in the shop and around the house even though I didn’t do any real measuring just to get a feel for it.

The clip is PERFECT on my 1 1/2 inch leather bluejeans work belt (the belt I wear when I’m working in bluejeans).
The clip is made for a belt up to 1 3/4 inches, but the slight oversize on the 1 1/2 inch belt wasn’t noticeable. I popped the tape measure (a large and clunky 35 foot beast) on and off throughout the day and every time the tape came off with the belt clip staying firmly attached. Even when I intentionally pulled the tape measure UP instead of pushing down or sideways the belt clip wouldn’t budge.

But I was concerned that the clip is only 1 3/4 inch wide. I was afraid that it wouldn’t work on an actual tool belt.

So I grabbed the two tool belts I have and did a test run.

First up was a standard multi-pouch padded black nylon web belt.

The belt part is 2 inches wide and sure enough the Magnogrip wouldn’t fit over the belt.
(For comparison I also clipped my Toughbuilt cell phone holder on right beside the Magnogrip.)
Although it didn’t fit completely over the belt I hoped that the redesigned clip might “bite” into the webbing enough to keep the belt clip in place.
I didn’t even put the belt on to try it because as soon as I pulled up on it it slipped back off the belt.
With the belt on and tight it might help hold it in place, but it didn’t feel like even that would prevent it from slipping off…so it was a fail on a 2 inch belt.

I also have a GI webb belt, courtesy US Army, that I have some pouches on and I use as tool belt from time to time.

Bad news for the Magnogrip….the GI belt is 2 1/4 inches. So the belt clip was even further from latching on.
The up side was that the GI webbing is a coarser weave than the black tool belt, so the clip did hold a little better. But it would still slide off…so it was a fail for a 2 1/4 inch belt as well.

I might have a 1 3/4 inch belt somewhere, but it doesn’t matter, the Magnogrip appears to work exactly the way I’d want it to on any belt that it can clip completely around.

(BTW, the cell phone holder fit and hooks completely over the 2 inch belt, and the inner hook (Toughtbuilt has a two part clip system) fit completely over the 2 1/4 inch belt.

So in summary, the Magnogrip holder works great on any belt that it can fit completely around (up to 1 3/4 inches), but may pop off fairly easily on any belt wider than that, which is unfortunately most tool belts.

As a side note about the cell phone holder, it may wiggle around on my 1 1/2 inch leather belt, but I’ve NEVER, EVER had it come off the belt. And I think It would hold perfectly well on any belt up to 2 1/4 inches due to the design of the belt clip.

I didn’t try clipping the belt unit onto my pants pockets because I felt it was too bulky to wear there…and I don’t wear my tape measures there anyway because they tend to fall off when I squat down.
I would recommend the Magnogrip to anyone with the caveat that they shouldn’t wear it on any belt larger than 1 3/4 inches.

-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."

View PASs's profile

PASs

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

Thanks for the followup. I remember your first review and wondered if they were REALLY gonna do anything. The new design seems to do the trick. Now, did they tell you how long before we’ll see the new design on the store shelves?

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward