You get what you pay for...

Review by DKV posted 01-31-2013 11:01 PM 5716 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You get what you pay for... You get what you pay for... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am building raised panel cabinet doors for an infill cabinet I am doing for the wife. All of my router bits to date have either been CMT, Whiteside or Freud and I have been pleased with the performance of them. Being a hobbyist woodworker I figure router bits that are built to be used by professional woodworkers should last me a lifetime. Also, since I could not envision myself ever again making raised panel cabinet doors I decided to go cheap on this one-time purchase, one-time use bit.

The Yonico bits are significantly cheaper than the above named brands and since I knew it was going to be a one-time use I would go ahead and buy one.

As you can see from the picture the bit cut well. I used it twice for practice runs and then the three sides of the panel. The cathedral end I will get to tomorrow. After the five cuts I removed the bit and I could tell just by running my finger over the cutting edge that it was significantly duller. This is the first report and I will follow up after I use it again tomorrow. However, at this point I do not think it is a bit that a professional that builds raised panels for a living should ever select. It will probably get the one-time job done for me but I can’t see getting extended use out of it. More later…

-- Have fun and laugh alot. Life can end at any moment. You old guys out there know what I mean...

View DKV's profile

DKV

View rkober's profile

rkober

#1 posted 02-01-2013 12:11 AM

I feel your pain. Even though I knew better I bought an off brand raised panel set b4 Christmas for a little project. It was $35+/- for a 3 bit set! I made a couple test runs and the joints were so loose I just boxed it up and returned it. Did it the old fashioned way which probably gave me more flexibility anyway.

-- Ray - Spokane, WA - “Most people don’t recognize opportunity because it’s usually disguised as hard work.” - Unknown

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#2 posted 02-01-2013 12:44 AM

I have not seen this brand in the stores around here and I am very leery of brands I dont know.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

15161 posts in 1912 days

#3 posted 02-01-2013 01:00 AM

Thx for the info. I feel your pain we have all done it.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#4 posted 02-01-2013 02:00 AM

I bought a stacked rail and stile bit from them when I was learning to make doors. I made about 6 door frames and was satisfied with the bit.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View Moron's profile

View Francisco Luna's profile

Francisco Luna

#7 posted 02-02-2013 01:12 PM

There are three reasons why I buy $140 New Balance Shoes:
1. Made in Usa 100%, that means part of that money will pay us workers.
2. They make my right size, US 14D.
3. The last pair I had, lasted 5 years.

As it is said in Spanish, “lo barato sale caro”!

-- Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain" Frank Lloyd Wright

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#8 posted 02-02-2013 01:16 PM

Es la verdad Francisco.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

#9 posted 02-02-2013 09:24 PM

Dkv How many passes on each board did you take to reach full depth

View DKV's profile

DKV

#10 posted 02-03-2013 01:50 AM

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#11 posted 02-04-2013 09:01 PM

I noticed it says “Satisfaction Guaranteed, Lifetime warranty” on the little bag. I guess that was not quite true…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#12 posted 02-05-2013 02:57 PM

yep I bought some of these at a estate auction although they were cheap I thought I was getting a steal till I used them, dulled in like 2 passes that were very light and had really bad vibration nothing like a Whiteside that cuts smooth as butter and no vibration

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country