You get what you pay for...

Review by DKV posted 528 days ago 4706 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
You get what you pay for... You get what you pay for... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am building raised panel cabinet doors for an infill cabinet I am doing for the wife. All of my router bits to date have either been CMT, Whiteside or Freud and I have been pleased with the performance of them. Being a hobbyist woodworker I figure router bits that are built to be used by professional woodworkers should last me a lifetime. Also, since I could not envision myself ever again making raised panel cabinet doors I decided to go cheap on this one-time purchase, one-time use bit.

The Yonico bits are significantly cheaper than the above named brands and since I knew it was going to be a one-time use I would go ahead and buy one.

As you can see from the picture the bit cut well. I used it twice for practice runs and then the three sides of the panel. The cathedral end I will get to tomorrow. After the five cuts I removed the bit and I could tell just by running my finger over the cutting edge that it was significantly duller. This is the first report and I will follow up after I use it again tomorrow. However, at this point I do not think it is a bit that a professional that builds raised panels for a living should ever select. It will probably get the one-time job done for me but I can’t see getting extended use out of it. More later…

-- 2014 will be a different year...at least for me it will.

View DKV's profile

DKV

View rkober's profile

rkober

I feel your pain. Even though I knew better I bought an off brand raised panel set b4 Christmas for a little project. It was $35+/- for a 3 bit set! I made a couple test runs and the joints were so loose I just boxed it up and returned it. Did it the old fashioned way which probably gave me more flexibility anyway.

-- Ray - Spokane, WA - “Most people don’t recognize opportunity because it’s usually disguised as hard work.” - Unknown

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

I have not seen this brand in the stores around here and I am very leery of brands I dont know.

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

Thx for the info. I feel your pain we have all done it.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I bought a stacked rail and stile bit from them when I was learning to make doors. I made about 6 door frames and was satisfied with the bit.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View Moron's profile

View Francisco Luna's profile

Francisco Luna

936 posts in 1980 days

There are three reasons why I buy $140 New Balance Shoes:
1. Made in Usa 100%, that means part of that money will pay us workers.
2. They make my right size, US 14D.
3. The last pair I had, lasted 5 years.

As it is said in Spanish, “lo barato sale caro”!

-- Nature is my manifestation of God. I go to nature every day for inspiration in the day's work. I follow in building the principles which nature has used in its domain" Frank Lloyd Wright

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

Es la verdad Francisco.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

Dkv How many passes on each board did you take to reach full depth

View DKV's profile

DKV

-- 2014 will be a different year...at least for me it will.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I noticed it says “Satisfaction Guaranteed, Lifetime warranty” on the little bag. I guess that was not quite true…

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

yep I bought some of these at a estate auction although they were cheap I thought I was getting a steal till I used them, dulled in like 2 passes that were very light and had really bad vibration nothing like a Whiteside that cuts smooth as butter and no vibration

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country