Missed the mark

Review by sawdustroad posted 2257 days ago 2121 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Missed the mark No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I must admit, I know very few mobile bases that are actually worth much, and this one is no exception. The brakes have no chance of holding against a load; The entire setup is very unstable, everything wobbles; Universal = Universal from 24×24 to 36×36

-- - http://www.sawdustroad.com

View sawdustroad's profile

sawdustroad

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Good warning.

Thanks for the review. There are many of us either using or planning to but mobile bases. Getting a heads up on one like this is wonderful.

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

I have the Shop Fox mobile base for my table saw. No brakes on this machine. Instead you have to screw down two posts/pads that lift the wheels on one side off the floor. This base is solid as a rock once the wheels are off the floor.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter

View irishhandyman's profile

irishhandyman

I have to fight those Shop Fox mobile bases myself Iowa, in my opinion they are a joke. I have those bases under a cabinet saw, planer, and band saw. Equipment by the same name I might add. I thought by getting the bases from the same company they would work well together. WRONG. Glad I dont own any of it. LOL
I know the base for the planer just wont take the weight of the planer. The screws are to small and I dont believe they are above a grade 4-5.

-- God bless the men and women who protect our counrty.

View sawdustroad's profile

sawdustroad

I do admit that the HTC I have on my jointer is by far the best in the shop. I’m not sure why I didn’t go with one for this, guess I didn’t run across one that supported the extension, and thought I’d try Jet. Oh well…

-- - http://www.sawdustroad.com

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

I’ll second this one. Put one one my table saw a couple of days ago. It is going back to the vendor…too squishy with the way the built the front wheels as outriggers. Thumbs down.

View Kipster's profile

Kipster

Thanks for the heads up.

-- Kip Northern Illinois ( If you don't know where your goin any road will take you there) George Harrison

19280 posts in 2436 days

Nothing worse than a wobble in the table saw. I made my own mobile base, wood frame with mini rollers.

gator9t9

Thanks for the review …..I do not have a large tablesaw ..I have the BOSCH TS2000 and bought it for its fold up ability, so i can gain room in my garage …

The tools i do have that have mobile bases ….i.e Jet BandSaw and Jet Drill Press both have JET HTC mobile bases …I believe these bases have the smallest footprint which is a very nice feature. and of course a bandsaw and or drill press do not need the same braking that a table saw would ..and the HTC Mobile bases employ the screw down base/brake/stop…If i was planning on getting a larger mobile table saw …Tho bad news ….This is a great warning about a product that this user has found to be ineffective …and on this one review ..i would not buy that product …

thanks so much

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

gator9t9

Grumpy …..I am sure we all would love to see pix of the mobile base you created …...Wouldn’t we fellow LJ’s

OK Gator, will do.

19280 posts in 2436 days

Here are the pics Gator. The 3X2 bolted to the side is there so I can lift the Tablesaw with a trolley jack & prop it high enough to put the stand under.
TableSaw Base-01
The stand is MDF with a 2X1 frame under to support the rollers. A roller is screwed to each corner, they are not very big & do not affect stability. an old achitrave skirts the frame.
Rollers
I found I needed a separate prop support at the other end of the machine for stability. This was needed with or without the base. I don’t move the T/s very far but the mobility allows me to turn the machine around when I need to cut long lengthe of timber.
I used a similar technique under the lathe & it works well & it is a heavy machine.

Grumpy

I finally read that you have a mobile lathe also with your own created base …..could you or do you have pix of that mobile base for your lathe …I would love to see that …I am wanting a lathe and i have to have it mobile.
Dang every day my garage gets smaller. And i just bought a new truck so you know i dont want to leave my truck out in the element tooo often …
Yes love to see your lathe stand w/mini rollers ….

thanks so much ..