Grizzly Strikes Again

Review by tme4tls posted 538 days ago 2987 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly Strikes Again No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been having trouble breathing this winter while the shop has had the doors and windows closed. Normally, two large drum fans keep a good volume of air going in and out which keeps the dust down. Works well for the warmer months but in the colder months when I have the heat on the dust gets to be a bit much. I thought about an air filter but never got around to ordering one.

So, I decided to order a Grizzly G9965 air filter for the shop since they claimed it would change the air in a 20’ x 20’ shop 26 times per hour. My shop is 36×40 so the filter should do well. Pretty good I thought. And I also ordered a washable filter for it so cleaning would be easier. Sounded like a good idea at the time. After all, I have bought 11 other Grizzly tools and have been satisfied with their quality so I believed something as simple as an air filter would be a no brainer.

So the big truck stopped by today and dropped off the 78 pound box. I opened the box, read the instruction manual, plugged it in and turned on the switch. Nothing! No air! Just the hum of the motor. Something isn’t right. So I removed the two filters and found that the squirrel cage motor wasn’t attached to the motor housing and was laying loose. The squirrel cage was laying in the housing and it wouldn’t turn. All the hardware was laying on the bottom of the case and if I counted right, some is still missing. Looks like a 5 pm assembly, the assembler simply tossed in parts at quitting time and sent it on its merry way.

So I called Grizzly and asked for a replacement. Once they receive the filter and inspect it, then a new one will be sent out. Means a two to three week wait which I am not willing to do. Then I requested a partial refund since I would have to totally disassemble the filter, finish the assembly then put it back together. No, can’t do that! So I told them I wanted a RA # and a full refund. The CS rep was kind enough to tell me I wouldn’t have to pay the 10% restocking fee since it was defective. Then I told them I wanted a refund for the freight since it was totally worthless when received. We’ll see what happens there.

Then I remembered I ordered a washable inner filter as an after thought a few days later. I cancelled that also. I have return labels in hand, UPS freight has been called and a pick up scheduled for tomorrow. UPS ground is supposed to deliver the inner filter tomorrow and it will go out the door with a return label as quickly as it will come it.

So the air filter is back in the original box, ready to go and I believe this will be the last Grizzly tool I will purchase mostly because of the poor excuse for quality and some because of the poor concern shown by the CS rep.

BTW I bought a Jet air filter this afternoon.

View tme4tls's profile

tme4tls

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

Just refuse the shipment from UPS when the inner filter shows up. They will ask “why.” Just tell them that it’s was shipped in error and send it back. Easy Peasy. Then you don’t have to do anything at all. I’ve done this with Amazon in the past and it makes returns a breeze.

c

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

View jeff's profile

jeff

634 posts in 2061 days

i can see your frustration…Grizzly should step up and make it right…hope the Jet works out-let us know…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

I know Grizzly can be hit or miss but I’ve not personally had problems with either the tools or CS. It’s too bad you’re ready to give up on them after 11 good experiences then one bad one.

View Howie's profile

Howie

I’m with Jeff. 11 good experiences would outweight one bad one for me. You can always ask for a supervisor if you aren’t satisfied with the CS you’re getting.
Not likely you would have been satisfied with that unit anyway. It was built for (20×20=400) compared to your shop at 36×40=1440 sq ft) it was undersized anyway.
Sorry about your bad experience.

-- Life is good.

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

We can always get a bad customer service rep, or a good one having a bad day. If you had 11 good experiences from Grizzly why not chalk up the one bad experience to being a fluke and try a different Grizzly product?

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

111999 posts in 2173 days

Many times these problems are shipping problems, Shipping seems to be the equivalent of throwing your equipment that you order into the twirling drum of a concrete truck.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Many times these problems are shipping problems

Jim – really?
Would shipping cause all bolts and nuts to come off leaving the parts completely unattached?

I agree that every company have their ups and downs and can have faulty units, which this is what it seems to be, and while shipping damage can occur, this one doesn’t seem to fit the bill.

It’s ok – even Grizzly can have duds…happens

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View BRAVOGOLFTANGO's profile

BRAVOGOLFTANGO

Well hate to hear that for anyone, I’ve had good luck with their Grizzly G0555LX bandsaw, upper wheel bearing on the inside went out, they sent out 4 bearings (2-sealed & 2-shielded) just for good measure and free of course. As stated above guess it’s a hit or miss thing at times.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Sometimes it don’t seem to pay to get out of bed. I hear these sorts of problems a lot and I don’t blame you for being angry. I hope that you get it resolved. I’m looking at some Grizzly stuff myself. I just don’t know.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View Richard's profile

Richard

UPS is notorious for their rough handling of heavy packages. I have been in positions that required me to ship packages big and small via UPS/Fedex/USPS. In a word, they all suck.

I have been dumbstruck by how badly mangled a carefully packaged piece of equipment, that I personally packed and strapped, can look by the time it arrives three short days later. Years ago when I had my own marine electronics business (GPS, VHS Radio’s, Fish Finder’s, etc) I shipped an “indestructible” 8’ long fiberglass antenna packaged in a heavy duty, very stout tube to a customer. They received it in three pieces that DHL was kind enough to tape into a nice manageable bundle. The replacement antenna I sent via UPS arrived folded in half. So much for “indestructible”.

It absolutely would not surprise me to receive something with what looks like a “5PM assembly” that was shipped via UPS. Bolts vibrate loose in transit and once free of it’s constraints the guts of a machine are free to dance all over the place, causing damage.

The only advice I have about shipping is, pack well and never ever ship anything you give two whits about without insurance.

-- "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Something I don’t understand. You are mad at Grizzly because they want to make your issue right, but it will take time for shipping even though you knew when you got into the deal you were working with a mail order company? If you wanted the right here, and right now experience with customer service why did you bother with a mail order / online retailer instead of hauling your tail over to a local vendor?

I don’t see how this is all Grizzly’s fault. Sure their quality control fell on the sword as it were. But the total lack of QC you experienced is the exception rather than the rule. From what you stated “So I called Grizzly and asked for a replacement. Once they receive the filter and inspect it, then a new one will be sent out. Means a two to three week wait which I am not willing to do.” So your unwillingness to work through the process is totally unreasonable. It’s not like they are telling you to take a hike, or taking a month or so to get back to you when you try to contact them (the current experience I am having with Sealy, the mattress people…). They have offered to receive the item, inspect it to make sure it isn’t user error or worse, attempted fraud which almost ALL retailers deal with constantly, and get a replacement back to you…

Read my prior posts, I have no qualms slamming a manufacturer or retailer when they deserve it, but I honestly think you are off base with this. This is one of the risks of buying remotely. If you don’t want to take that risk and deal with turn around times, then get over to your local shop and spend your money there…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

Now that I have been fussed at for bringing a poor customer service problem to light, let me explain on thing. This isn’t the first dance I have had with Grizzly. Most of not all of the CS reps seem detached and above the question. When I purchased a 12” jointer last year, my questions/concerns seemed to be of little concern to them and I all but had to deliver it there by myself to prove a point. What should have been two or three or four lengthy calls to tech service stretched into 10 days of back and forth calls. Always it was for me to try something else or wait until they called me back. Enough was enough and after finding a CS supervisor who was willing to iron things out I finally got resolution.

BTW This isn’t something that happened because something vibrated loose during transit.

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

If it was me i would order another one so it gets shipped out right away and then just return the damage one for a full credit. When you do all of this call in the order and explain what you are doing so you don’t get charged for shipping on the new one.

11 good experiences would outweigh the 1 bad for me. It still sucks to go through it though.

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

i can understand your frustration when you spend alot of money you expect decent equipment in return.i’d be ticked off also with a two to three week turn around!!!

by the way i bought the jet back in the summer and it has worked great for me.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

I just had a run-in with Grizzly and an 8 inch Jointer. The motor mounts were bent showing signs it was dropped. First time a called the guy was nice but blew me off completely. I found out this by calling a week later asking where my motor brackets are. The 2nd rep said there was no activity report and nothing was done. He would send them out today. I asked if they could overnight them being I have been waiting 9 days since it was first delivered. The said NO, this kind of stuff that drives me crazy and they all seem to do it. They want your money, but quality control is becoming a joke. I have been thinking of buying a 5 hp table saw from them but I’m pretty much done with Grizzly… Sorry to hear your problems…