$40 For a tape measure?? Absolutely!

Review by lumberjoe posted 443 days ago 4114 views 7 times favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
$40 For a tape measure?? Absolutely! $40 For a tape measure?? Absolutely! $40 For a tape measure?? Absolutely! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw this at a booth at the New England Woodworking show a few weekends ago. At first it seemed like just another gimmick, but I noticed the company is local to me. I am always one to give local businesses a shot, so I asked for some more information. What I found out was this is not a gimmick. I would go as far to say this is a must have.

You are probably thinking ”A tape measure is a tape measure, what makes this one $40?”. Well, let me answer that for you. Before I get into the details, I’d like to outline my thought process a little bit. Yes, I have what I would consider good tape measures (Stanley 30’ powerlocks, I have about 10 of them but can only find 2 at any given time). They are about 15$. Why on earth would I want to spend more than double that for one tape measure? I guess for the same reason I have a $75.00 tiny 4” double square. Precision matters.

General observations
This tape has a lot going for it. It’s pretty heavy, has a really nice rubberized grip all around, and fits in the hand nice. The action is smooth and the lock is great. It’s advertised that you can extend it 8’ without support, I can consistently get about 12’ out of it before it bends.

Clearly Marked Double sided rule
On the top of the tape, the graduations are written out in their respective fractions. No more counting ticks. Graduations are marked on both the front and the back of the tape. That can come in really handy. In addition to a double sided rule, it has double sided hooks. No more bending the tape over to make that pencil line. Just flip it upside down.

Sight Scribe
This is what sold me. If you are measuring cut lines, you can skip the pencil all together. There are a few separate components that make this system work, and they are very well thought out. The first of which is the strong, positive lock. This tape isn’t going anywhere when you lock it. The lever at the top is easy to lock with one hand.

The other is the scribe system itself, shown here:

It is positioned right at the end of the the body. For marking cut lines, just set your measurement, hook the end of the board, and drop the tape down. That is more accurate than you can ever get with a traditional tape and pencil. If you are doing general layout and don’t want a scribe, use it like a regular tape measure.

Another awesome feature that makes this work so well is the sight:

You have black guides on both sides of the tape that are very easy to read and super simple to lock in the proper measurement.

It’s guaranteed for life
Both the scribe and the tape are guaranteed for life. You pay about 7$ for shipping. The packaging has instructions on replacing the parts.

Speaking of packaging – it’s pretty cool. It comes in a metal box. It also comes with a really nice metal mechanical pencil, replacement leads, and replacement erasers.

In closing
I have no affiliation with this company at all. I do give this 5 stars, and I rarely give anything 5 stars. A tape measure is a mundane thing which no one gets excited about, but I love using this. It really has changed the way I work, and for the better. Once you use it, you will have one of those “holy crap, why the heck didn’t I think of that” moments.

I highly recommend getting one. You will not be disappointed. My local Woodcraft stocks them, but I don’t think Woodcraft carries them everywhere. You can order one on the website:

View Kreegan's profile

Kreegan

If you check their website, they’re having a free shipping promotion right now. Looks like an awesome tool. Good review, Joe.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

that is pretty cool. wish I had seen it at the show.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

lumberjoe

they were right next to the woodcraft booth where everyone was trying to win a SawStop

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

there was a woodcraft booth?!? lol

winning a sawstop… maybe thats why I missed it, was more on the LV/Hammer side of the floor

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View jap's profile

jap

that built in scripe looks useful for many meaurents

-- Joel

Joe.
I did not give you the right to tempt me.
I do not need any help when it comes to temptation.
Nice tape.
I might have to buy one.

lumberjoe

Jap, it’s the best thing ever when laying out mortises. After using it, I wouldn’t want to lay them out without one.

Bert – you would love it.

Lev, the Hammer stuff was awesome. I spent a ton of time at LV as well, but I made the rounds quite a few times.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

Sounds like a great idea, but once you drop it and it will happen with every tape, there goes the accuracy. And BTW, there is a law that says “if you have x number of tapes and one of them is an expensive one, it’s always the expensive one that either gets stolen or lost”.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

I don’t mind spending a little extra for a quality tool. That said, I lose tape measures more than anything. They always pop up later, but I figure I’d probably need for or five of these things, and that’s a good investment. Thanks for the review!

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

I was just holding one of these Monday, at the Manchester Woodcraft! They have them on sale for $29, right on the counter.

It looked like a well made, heavy-duty tape. I would have loved to have had one when I rebuilt my deck, the scribe is an interesting idea, and I’m continually dropping pencils.

In the shop, I like the lightweight, girly-man, 16’ w/ pencil sharpener FastCaps ($7!!), but the M1 has a lot going for it compared to larger Stanley’s.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Hey, if it’s guaranteed for life and exceptionally well made with a lot of knew features that will save you time and keep you from making mistakes why not?

helluvawreck aka Charles

View BRAVOGOLFTANGO's profile

BRAVOGOLFTANGO

I can’t pull up the vids here at work, can’t picture the the scribe functionality other than a little yellow prick thing under it in their product gallery. To me it seems to be hidden, but I’ll check out the vid at home.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

Do they make or provide a right hand model? In other words when you hold it in the left hand and extend it the numbers read upright correctly. I got a lesser model Rt hand two years ago and it surely helped me to quit reading on the wrong side of numerals

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@msn.com

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

Interesting tape measure. I can’t see using the scribe for anything precise though. It would come in handy if you were doing framing but to lay out a mortise??

Like Cessna I use a small one in the shop. I think it’s 12’. This would be great for general construction.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

lumberjoe....cool product….thanks for the detailed review

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once