Grizzly GO555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw, 1hp TEFC Motor

Review by BRAVOGOLFTANGO posted 01-29-2013 07:01 AM 4639 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly GO555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw, 1hp TEFC Motor No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Absolutely fantastic piece of machinery. I originally purchased a 14” Porter Cable BS from Lowe’s, brought it back the next day, not that it was junk, just limited to 1/2” blades vs 3/4 specialty blades with the Grizzly. This model was their upgrade from the previous G0555 and it was on sale during Christmas.

PROS –
  • This BS runs so smooth and quiet, in fact you need to be sure it’s OFF, my RIDGID shop vacuum I hook up to it is louder than this machine.
  • Included fence is super accurate, square and precise.
  • Alignment is simple and stays put for the upper wheel, upper & lower thrust & side bearings, etc.
  • Smooth rack & pinion depth set.
  • Easy blade width adjuster and smooth blade tensioner.
  • Tracks true & straight, no blade drift workarounds needed to cut straight, align everything per the instructions and it performs as designed.
CONS –
  • The cast iron table could be a little bigger, that was the only nicer feature on the Porter Cable, it had a big 16×16 table, but that was the only advantage I found.
OBSERVATIONS – (neither pro nor con)
  • This model could use better upper band-wheel bearings. The inner sealed bearing on the upper wheel went out yesterday, replaced it with a shielded vs sealed higher end bearing, both inner & outer for good measure and it’s quiet as new again.
  • Finally by design they should make the table trunion handles a little easier to access, minor thing and it’s no more than turning your hand one way vs another really, but I have noticed other BS brands make theirs a little easier to acess.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT?
Abso-friggin-lutely and twice on Sunday! I would also recommend the Shop-Fox caster assembly for this unit, makes it very nice to have in my 2-car garage converted woodworking shop.

#1 posted 01-29-2013 03:40 PM

I’ve also got this BS and after some initial setup issues it’s been pretty good. My only complaint right now is that when I use the rack and pinion adjustment the guides tend to move left/right and once I reach my final cutting depth I usually have to readjust the guides because they’ve shifted ever so slightly and are now in contact with the blade. When you’re supposed to set the guides as close to the blade as possible without touching this small movement when adjusting the height is really annoying…

By the way I have the riser block installed so the travel up and down is greater than on your saw.

#2 posted 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

I haven’t had a single issue with guides shifting whatsoever with the stock height at least. I almost bought their Grizzly riser block but don’t see the need for it just yet. How is the flex with the Grizzly riser block (assume you purchased their kit).

#3 posted 01-29-2013 03:51 PM

Yes I bought their block kit. I’m not sure what you mean by flex?

I also put a 3/4” BladeRunner from Iturra Design (same blade as the WoodSlicer but much cheaper) for resawing and am very happy with it so far. Night and day from the crappy stock blade.

#4 posted 01-29-2013 04:02 PM

I’ve read that some block risers cause a bit of flex on some bandsaws, was just curious about this Grizzly model. I almost ordered it but held off until I had researched the whole “flex” thing more. Assume you have zero flex by your question therefore…good thing.

Holy cow! I just ordered two more 93-1/2” 3/4” 4-5 tpi specialty blades from Lou yesterday, he’s a great guy! My old one finally wore out. Hey what size blade does it change to with the Grizzly riser?

I’m considering a Lennox 1/2” carbide blade from Lou so I better figure out if I’m going to put a riser on or not.

#5 posted 01-29-2013 09:15 PM

I haven’t really experienced any flex nor have I read about it as an issue with this saw when doing my research. The riser makes the blade length 105”, I believe.

And yes, Lou is a great guy, always takes the time to answer all my questions. I also considered the carbide blade but wanted to see first how these other blades did before I paid twice as much for the carbide (which when buying from him is reasonable, not astronomical in price difference, to be honest).

#6 posted 01-29-2013 09:24 PM

Yeah Matt I agree on the price not being as bad as I thought it’d be. Lou recommended the 1/2” Lennon carbide @$124 and at the mfg advertised “lasts 40% longer” that’s over $800 in savings over these $22 blades I’m buying from him, in due time.

Glad to know there’s no flex, guess I’d have to get a resaw fence and build some kind of bandsaw table attachment for larger resaw pieces. I’ve found a few plans online for that, just busy with other projects lately.

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

#7 posted 01-31-2013 12:56 AM

I love mine – just the plain 555. It’s been perfect except the lower band thrust bearing froze up last week (the one that pushes back when you push the material through.) I figured there was nothing to lose so I soaked it in WD40 and worked it free by hand. Then gave it a squirt of lube. It seemed like some gooey pitch had gotten in it. It’s as good as new now. I wonder if they cheap out on sealed bearings.

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View PaulHWood's profile

PaulHWood

#8 posted 02-01-2013 05:37 PM

Where did you purchase this and what was the sale price. Kind of in the market for one.

#9 posted 02-04-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Dave.

Paul got it at Grizzly before Christmas.