MAster Mechanic 12V LiOn Drill/Impact Kit

Review by Dallas posted 447 days ago 2314 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
MAster Mechanic 12V LiOn Drill/Impact Kit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This kit comes with a 3/8” VSR drill and a 1/4” drive impact driver, two batteries, 50 minute charger and a canvas carrying case.

I’ve only had this kit about a week but it seems to have plenty of power for what it is, after all, it’s only 12V.

From the True Value Website:

Get two Master Mechanic 12V lithium-ion drills for one low price. Driver combo kit consists of: 3/8” compact cordless drill that features 2 speeds, 0-350 rpm, 0-1050 rpm, 17 torque settings, LED work light. Plus an impact driver that features variable speed, 0-2200 rpm/0-3000 bpm, quick release hex drive, auto spindle lock shaft, LED work light, rubber over mold grip & cast aluminum gear head. Set includes two batteries with power indicator, 30 minute diagnostic charger & nylon tote.

I’ve used my Milwaukee 14.4 1/2” drive for the last 12 years with no problem except that it is too big to get in some spots, so I decided to try this little kit.

Right out of the box the batteries were understandably only half charged, but topped up in less than the allotted time, (probably 30 minutes for the pair).

I decided to do a little test using only one battery to see how long it would take to wear one down.

I started out with an old hard SYP 4X4 and a box of 100 rusty 2 1/2” #12 Deck screws. (The screws weren’t really rusty, just corroded from laying in the bottom of a wet tool box on the tractor, the rust came from the water and old tools they were laying with).

Sad to say, I sank all 100 of the screws as fast as I could and the battery still showed 3/4-full charge. The part I was sad about was that my arm was tired. There isn’t enough weight to the drill to give you a lot of control over the torque.
I rested for about 15 minutes then pulled all the screws out and sank them again.
The battery still read about 2/3 charge.

Enough of this, I removed the battery and put it in the impact driver and after removing all the screws sank them in again, ...... twice. This was much easier on my arm as the impact worked pretty good.
The battery still showed about 1/2 charge so I removed the screws once more and started driving them in again, unfortunately about 1 out of 3 screws snapped off before I could sink them all the way, probably from metal fatigue.

Now I’m left with a holey 4X4 that has lot’s of metal in it if anyone needs to test out their metal detector.

The battery still wasn’t dead but I recharged it anyway just to have it on hand if I needed it.

This kit probably wouldn’t equal the same job a Bosch or DeWalt or MAkita or Milwaukee kit of the same size would, but the bottom line for me is that for the $50 -$5 coupon, it will probably serve me well in the shop and I won’t mind loaning it to any of the campers who need one here at the campground.

Definitely worth the $50

If you are in need of something light and reasonably priced, consider this little unit.

View Roger's profile

Thnx for the review. Sounds like a bargain for the money. In the shop, I think a 12v is plenty. My 18 PC is just a bit big sometime.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Thanks for the review Dallas. I was wondering if you would use this tool then report back to us on intervals like every 3 months or 6 months. I would be interested to see how it is operating in 3 or 4 years or more. Thanks again.

Dallas

Seriously Grandpa, I’m not sure how long the batteries are good for, however the tools themselves seem to be of a ‘higher’ quality Chinese build. The fit and finish is as good or better than my Milwakee 1/4 sheet sander or my Makita ROS. The chuck is a Jacobs chuck, although a low end model.

I was looking around earlier today and new batteries are available for anywhere from $25 -$35 which is a big savings over what my 14.4 NiCad Milwakee batteries cost.

Also, If I keep watch this stuff goes on sale frequently and a pair of new batteries with a new tool can be bought for less than the batteries alone. In fact, you can order this kit or buy it in the store for $49.99 and use a $5 coupon to bring it down to $45….. less than the cost of two new batteries.

If this thing lasts a year, I will be pleased. Any more than that is just gravy….. with the biscuits!

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Let us know on this please. I think this is a good thing. I would be interested in knowing when it fails and why.

Dallas

Well, it has been 75 days since I wrote this review. I’ve used both the drill and the impact nearly every day on tasks around the campground, from removing and reinstalling doors to hanging new signs, to building stuff in the shop and stuff for my wife… like a ###$$&@ garden bench.

I have been pleasantly surprised that both the drill and the impact are still going as strong as ever, although there is one caveat as noted below.

The day after I made the last post on this thread I dropped the impact driver from 25’ up a light pole where I was hanging a new sodium lamp. The tool hit the edge of a concrete/steel post I have there to keep campers from backing in to the light pole and the impact broke in two pieces.

I went back to the hardware store and was going to buy a new one, but the manager told me he had a floor model that they lost the carrying case and drill to and I could have it at no charge… (gotta love hometown hardware stores and mom and pop place). I exchanged my broken impact for that one along with two new batteries and an extra charger.
The impact has obviously been used but not with the batteries, they were still in sealed plastic bags.

So bottom line, I now have 4 batteries and two chargers and two tools that are working way above my expectations.
The drill isn’t nearly as strong as my Milwaukee 1/2” drive, but then it’s not suppose to be. The impact driver will drill 2” lag bolts in for about 2 hours on a charge and hundreds of 1 1/2” deck screws on a single charge.

So far, so good. Now if I can remember to update in another few months.