New Dust Collection System Grizzly 548, East Caroga Cyclone

Review by Bob A in NJ posted 01-26-2013 05:44 PM 6203 views 2 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Dust Collection System  Grizzly 548, East Caroga Cyclone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here’s my new DC system and includes a Grizzly G0548Z, East Carago Cyclone, Penn State Remote and Blastco Pipes, gates and elbows.

System works well, took a few weekends to get it all together.
Work flow:

Had to install new 220 breaker in the main panel.
Needed new wiring and 220 remote contol from Penn State Industries. The remote works very well, no issues. I tape magnets to the remote and attach it to the cyclone or lathe most of the time.

The 548 DC itself is very nice, went together very quickly with no issues with shipping damage. No need to call Grizzly other than to place the order. I’ve had very good success with all my Grizzly equipment. I added an extra handle on the top of the DC in order to easily turn the handles without hugging the filter. I knew it was going to be loud, any time you move that much air, it makes a lot of noise. Iwish I had the room to make a separate enclosure room to dampen the noise, instead, will just use my hearing protection more often when standing at the lathe. The noise is not too bad when using the table saw.

The East Caroga Cyclone is available in two sizes, this is the larger one for ~$200. Very well constucted, a bit heavy but its a lot of metal so no big deal. No issues with shipping and came in just a couple days. Had to figure a way to lift the cyclone while moving the trash can so I made a small block and tackle rig to make that task easy. Gary at East Caroga is a great guy and can be reached at gmacinty@nycap.rr.com. Check out his info on ebay or Youtube.

Also needed a new 6”’ x 8’ hose to connect the cyclone to the DC, that’s about another $80.

The Blastco pipes went together very easy in about 3 hours.

Added a small trash can onto the back on the miter saw which works great and gets everything the Festool does not collect.

The fixed hookup covers my lathe, miter saw and table saw with metal and/or flexible piping. I connnect my bandsaw, planer and floor clean up with flex hose as needed.

Check out the cyclone lid on the Festool set up. The small cyclone lid fits on a 3 gallon pail and works great. It’s fun to watch the dust being sucked in. The need to change the Festool bags will now become a rare task to do. These are available on the web and at Woodcraft.

Overall, system works as I expected. Very happy with it.

View Hacksaw007's profile

Hacksaw007

596 posts in 1910 days

#1 posted 01-27-2013 12:30 AM

Sweet set up. Too big for my shop…sob….. but looks like you got it all figured out for yours great job….

Mike

-- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

View mbs's profile

mbs

#2 posted 01-27-2013 01:38 AM

Looks good but how do you empty the can under the cyclone?

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

#3 posted 01-27-2013 04:46 AM

Are you rating just the DC 5 stars , or the whole system , Bob ?
So far you’ve told us the Grizzly is very nice and it’s loud and you had to modify it.
Thanks.

#4 posted 01-27-2013 05:58 AM

mbs, Hi, the cyclone is easily lifted by pulling the rope, the block and tackle rig makes it easy to lift and the clothes line holder keeps it lifted until released. While lifted, I just slide the trash can out, it’s just sitting on the wheels, and empty the can. Works great. Bob

#5 posted 01-27-2013 06:26 AM

Hi Dusty, Fair question, I covered a lot of ground on multiple tools. The 5 stars is for the Grizzly dust collector. I think it’s the best ” value for the money” in it’s price range. The unit has a good fit and finish, was packed and shipped well, easy to read and useful manual. The unit was easy to assemble and It worked right out of the boxes as expected . As for the noise, I knew it would be louder than my older Jet 1 1/2 HP machine. I also knew it would get about twice as much suction. I considered really stepping up and buying a clear view 5 HP machine but decided it was probably overkill for my small shop. The cost and even higher noise levels of the clear view system was also considered so I went with this choice of equipment instead.

The suction is very good for the “close by “machines. The table saw is the furthest away and after 3 elbows and about 6 feet of flex hose, the suction is less but I think any comparable model would have the same results from this far away. For the “close by” machines, like the lathe and miter box, no issues, suction is very good. Same with direct flexible connections to the planer and bandsaw. The saw dust flys through the piping with no issues. I’ve had nothing but success and good results with all my grizzly equipment. When I have had parts wear out, customer service was always very helpful. As for the extra handle I added, I would not take a star away for this feature. The added piece of conduit was less than $5 and it makes a big difference in how close you get to the machine while rotating the flappers in the canister.

As for the system overall, with the combination of machines, it’s working very well. I really like the metal cyclone also, well constructed, heavy duty, works great, very little saw dust in the Dust collector bag.

I mainly posted this project to show how to integrate various components and give others ideas on the DC topic. For instance, the blue trash can behind the miter box works great. The 3 gallon cyclone lid sitting on the festool vacuum works great and is a low cost way to get cyclonic action without spending $200 on the onenida festool cyclone option. And the lift mechanism for the metal cyclone works easily without effort. Hope this helps. Bob

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#6 posted 01-27-2013 12:10 PM

Great review, and a great job on the install!! Nice dust unit!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

#7 posted 01-27-2013 02:10 PM

Where do you buy your cyclone?
I goggled this name and I got nothing.
Thanks.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#8 posted 01-27-2013 04:20 PM

Nice review, Bob.

Lee

#9 posted 01-27-2013 05:07 PM

Excellent info , Bob. Thanks for the PM as well : )

#10 posted 01-27-2013 07:12 PM

#11 posted 01-27-2013 07:58 PM

Thank you for the link.
I was wondering if you were speaking about a different cyclone, one that I would not know of.

View WoodNDust's profile

WoodNDust

#12 posted 04-25-2014 02:59 AM

Bob – how would you rate the effectiveness of the cyclone?