Can it get any easier than this??

Review by ChuckC posted 01-25-2013 05:09 AM 2142 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can it get any easier than this?? Can it get any easier than this?? Can it get any easier than this?? Click the pictures to enlarge them

I always dread the time when I have to sharpen the blades on my jointer. For some reason I can never get the blades back in just right.

Rockler put this jig on sale from $33 to $25 so I picked it up. When it arrived I was surprised to find that it is all metal, no plastic, and well made (for what it is). Each leg has two magnets on the out feed side and one that picks up the blade.

Using the jig is simple. You have to find TDC for the cutter head and you mark that on the fence. I punched a small line on the fence so I’ll always have it there. You then rotate the blade to the mark on the fence and place the jig over the blade. There’s a mark on the jig that lines up with the mark on the fence and four magnets hold it down. Another two magnets on the jig lift the blade so it is exactly the same height as the out feed table and parallel with the out feed table. Tighten the blade. Repeat two more times and you are done. Total time 15 minutes. Now that I have the TDC marked it will only take 10 minutes going forward.

I ran some wood through and the jointer never cut so well. The jig does what it’s supposed to do so I give it 5 stars.

View Matthew Parker's profile

Matthew Parker

#1 posted 01-25-2013 05:14 AM

I have the same jig and totally agree. I paid full price but even then it works so well it was worth it.

View ichbinpete's profile

ichbinpete

#2 posted 01-25-2013 05:16 AM

I got it with a 20% off coupon when I bought it. I only changed my blades twice prior to getting it, and I never got them set right. This product just works.

-- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

View Richard's profile

Richard

#3 posted 01-25-2013 05:27 AM

Thanks for the review – I just got a couple of sets of knives for my jointer and was dreading replacing them. I am hitting my local Rockler tomorrow to grab one of these.

-- "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

View mbs's profile

mbs

#4 posted 01-25-2013 05:28 AM

I’m not trying to be a smart a$$ and I don’t have anything against the jig but to answer your question directly – “Yes, it can get easier than this”. Using a Byrd shelix head is much easier to change “knives”, and, in my opinion, you get a better cut than straight knives provide.

The shelix has small square, carbide inserts than can be rotated 90 degrees to get a fresh edge using nothing more than a screw driver type tool. Probably takes less than 10 seconds. There is no other adjustment necessary.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

#5 posted 01-25-2013 05:53 AM

^^ Huh?? This is a review for a jig that assists in setting up straight blades for a jointer. My comment “Can it get any easier than this” was directed at that. It was not my intention to review or compare aftermarket jointer heads.

Enjoy the Byrd…

View doordude's profile

doordude

#6 posted 01-25-2013 06:01 AM

chuckc great review, i just happened to be in rockler last week and bought the same jig, glad it worked well.
mbs: this jig is 25 bucks and we already have blades in the jionter. the byrd is great but you’re talking about another 200 plus bucks for your solution.

View LoydMoore's profile

LoydMoore

#7 posted 01-25-2013 01:54 PM

quess I am a tightwad. Built my own version for $4.

Six block magnets from Harbor freight and some scrap MDF.

Just make sure everything is clean and no magnetic chips are hanging around. Place three magnets in line 3” apart on the jointer table or granite surface plate. Next place a liberal amount of silicon on each magnet and press the MDF home. The router table or granite plate establish the magnets on a single plane and all the MDF does is hold the magnets in that plane while setting the knives. Make two of these and you have a hybrid version of the Rockler jig for 1/6 the price.

-- Loyd, San Angelo, TX http:www.moorewoodenboxes.com

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#8 posted 01-25-2013 05:16 PM

FWW had an article about what LoydMoore did, I also made mine, two pieces of wood and some magnets and it was done. In any case, for $24 it is a good deal and I would probably have bought it if I had known about it, I am not one for making jigs, my time is more valuable.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

View Bsmith's profile

Bsmith

#9 posted 01-25-2013 06:14 PM

Thanks Chuck, I’m headed to the Rockler site right now. Hope it’s still on sale.

-- Bryan

#10 posted 01-25-2013 06:34 PM

If you Google “Rockler coupon code” you can usually dig up a free shipping coupon code.

View david_larch's profile

david_larch

#11 posted 01-26-2013 01:03 AM

Just bought this – perfect timing. Thanks for the review I had been waiting to set up my new jointer till work slowed down.

-- www.alibiwoodworks.com

#12 posted 01-26-2013 03:07 AM

Can it get any easier than this??

I bought two Aluminum 9” levels with rare earth magnets (on bottom edge) from Harbor Freight to accomplish this with : )
They were on sale ($7.99) at the time and the price was less than the jig I was going to buy previously.
Works pretty slick : )

#13 posted 01-26-2013 03:26 AM

oooops .double post : (

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

#14 posted 01-26-2013 03:27 AM

LOL, he said easier not cheaper, huh?

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

#15 posted 01-26-2013 03:30 AM

Yes , Jorge . I typed ; Yes , have someone else do it while you go have a beer / coffee / snack / etc.. : ) Easier , no ? LOL