Better than I expected.

Review by Rick M. posted 01-22-2013 10:03 AM 1943 views 1 time favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Better than I expected. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve always been skeptical of electric chainsaws but when a maple blew down in our yard I decided to give electric a shot. A gas powered saw would rarely get used and probably the next time I needed it, wouldn’t run. What I really wanted was an Earthwise, not a brand I’m familiar with but they have rave reviews. Unfortunately my only choice locally was Poulan.

Once home I filled it with bar oil, plugged in and went to work on a 14” wide limb and it zipped right through it. Spent the rest of the day sawing up a sizable maple and even felled an 18” trunk. My neighbor brought his Homelite gas saw and we were running about dead even but then he busted out the Stihl and left me in the (saw)dust. I tried sawing through some of the bigger trunk sections, 28-30 inches, but it was very impractical (the Homelite couldn’t do it either and even the Stihl was at it’s limits).

The only real problem I had throughout the day was the chain tension. Loosening I understand but sometimes it would get super tight, so tight the chain wouldn’t spin. I never did figure out what was causing the problem but it eventually settled down. One other issue is that sawdust packs up inside the saw and once in awhile I had to stop and dig it out with a screwdriver. I thought that might be causing the chain problem but they didn’t coincide. On the plus side, it’s lightweight, relatively quiet, a lot more powerful than I expected and no mixing gas.

View Kreegan's profile

Kreegan

#1 posted 01-22-2013 02:57 PM

Good review. I might pick one of these up. I have an occasional need for a chainsaw.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#2 posted 01-22-2013 05:49 PM

I have a Craftsman (Remington) which will cut through 12 inch rounds like butter with a fresh chain. Be careful as electric saws actually make more torque than gas saws and the chain will not stop as quickly if you dig into your chaps with the bar.

#3 posted 01-22-2013 06:43 PM

I have a similar Poulan chain saw that I bought years ago, it always worked well with plenty power but it also always leaked chain oil making a mess where I store it.

#4 posted 01-22-2013 06:58 PM

This one leaks bar oil as well. I’m tempted to take it back and order the Earthwise saw that I really wanted but it seems like a crappy thing to do—taking the saw back after I’ve used it.

#5 posted 01-22-2013 07:24 PM

Have them fix the leak

View Dave G's profile

Dave G

#6 posted 01-23-2013 01:51 AM

Ditto same experience for me with a Homelite. I bought the cheap 14” Homelite electric last year and was pleasantly surprised that it cut as well as my 14” Echo with far less trouble with gas and oil. What I like best was I could keep it out ready to go to trim a log that was too long for the wood stove and didn’t have to stockpile future chainsaw work. If all a person is doing is working his 3/4 acre lot then an electric is obvious choice. I guess I’ll put a review in for it instead of filling your review! Thanks.

-- Dave, New England - “We are made to persist. that's how we find out who we are.” ― Tobias Wolff

View Dennis Reynolds's profile

Dennis Reynolds

#7 posted 01-23-2013 01:57 AM

I have been thinking about an electric saw for small jobs. I also gave thought to getting a cordless one, like the Craftsman one in the C3 series. Then I have something that uses batteries I already have. I have a big saw for heavy work, I was looking just to trim a couple branches here and there.I am really up in the air about what I want after reading your review Rick M

-- Dennis Reynolds

#8 posted 01-23-2013 02:30 AM

I have an 18V PC reciprocating saw for pruning trees and it works great but once you get up around 4 or 5 inches it’s slow going. Just for pruning branches a cordless would probably be fine but I didn’t do any research on them.

View Dennis Reynolds's profile

Dennis Reynolds

#9 posted 01-23-2013 02:48 AM

Great idea Rick. I have a Craftsman 19.2V cordless reciprocating saw already! I will have to pick up some long blades for wood.

-- Dennis Reynolds

#10 posted 01-23-2013 03:34 AM

These work very well.

#11 posted 01-23-2013 04:20 AM

I have had my 14” McCulloch for over 15 years and really have put it through hell without any problems. I think this was one of the first electric one on the market and that’s why it is only 14”!

I typically sharpened a chain twice before I replace it and I am one my fourth chain!

Mine has the same problems Rick mentioned about the sawdust build up so I see they still haven’t solved that!

#12 posted 01-23-2013 05:25 AM

Supposedly the McCulloch and Poulan are the same saw.

#13 posted 01-23-2013 08:08 AM

Rick, I did not know that!

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#14 posted 01-24-2013 02:25 AM

For anything under 4 or 5 inchs around a sharp bow saw or Fiskars pruning saw beats digging out the chainsaw.

@ oldnovice – you should be able to get ALOT more uses from a chain than two sharpenings. You are throwing money away.

#15 posted 01-24-2013 03:34 AM

dhazelton I was cutting roots, along with a lot of dirt and rocks that’s why it needed sharpening and Farm and Fleet was having a sale when I still lived in Illinois so I bought a couple spares.

Only used it once since I moved to California as I loaned it to my son in-law 8 years ago and he is ”very” good at returning things!