A fun joinery plane

Review by johnjoiner posted 04-30-2008 06:23 AM 2951 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A fun joinery plane A fun joinery plane A fun joinery plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, I’ll point out that I have nothing to compare this to. I have never used any other plow plane, and have little experience with any other kinds of joinery planes.

This is easy and fun to use. No tools are needed to do anything on this. Blade removal and all adjustments are toolless. The only thing I can think of to complain about is access to some of the knobs. I’d say I have average sized hands and fairly dexterous fingers. But I had trouble getting at the knobs well enough to loosen/tighten them at times. Nothing serious though.

There are six adjustment knobs on this plane. One knob tightens against the side of the blade to hold it tight against the plane body. The second knob is on the blade lever cap. Third knob is for blade depth adjustment. The other three knobs are on the right side of the plane. One is for the depth stop, and the last two are like router collets and control the fence.

-- johnjoiner

View johnjoiner's profile

johnjoiner

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 04-30-2008 12:24 PM

thats cool. i can see what you mean about the knobs from the picture. thanks for the review.

#2 posted 04-30-2008 01:04 PM

John,

This is a nice review. I do not have one of these but may have to consider adding one to my collection of hand tools.

Thanks for the post.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#3 posted 04-30-2008 05:57 PM

Very nice looking tool! Thanks for the review.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#4 posted 04-30-2008 07:04 PM

I was hoping somebody would post a review on this plane; i’ve been considering the purchase of an old Stanley plow plane. I may now have to reconsider that….

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

#5 posted 05-01-2008 01:03 AM

This has been on my list… I got to check it out at the Woodworking show last week…

I still haven’t commited to its purchase yet…

I’d like to have the functions of this plane though! So, it’s staying toward the top of the list.

Did you buy it with all the cutters? Or, did you start with the 1/4” and will work in the other cutters as needed?

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

#7 posted 05-01-2008 03:37 AM

I have been meaning to post a review on this for a while. I think I was one of the first people to buy this one when Veritas came out with it. I have been using it for more than six months now and I love it. The adjustments are so easy and it is amazing how much I turn to it for rabbets and dados. I haven’t had any problems with the knobs, but I have pianist long fingers so that might be it. I found it to be great for doing half laps at the end of boards. If you score your lines when doing cross cuts it works like a charm with no chip out either. It’s very light weight, and just a blast to use.

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View johnjoiner's profile

johnjoiner

#8 posted 05-01-2008 04:52 AM

Dorje, I got the other cutters too. I’ve used a couple of them. I’ve used the plane for grooves for a panel, and for rabbets. Worked will on both.

-- johnjoiner

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#9 posted 05-01-2008 08:23 AM

It sure is a beautiful tool. Some day I will get one. Veritas makes nice stuff!

-- --Chuck

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

#10 posted 05-03-2008 10:23 PM

This is a nice looking plane. Veritas does make nice planes. I have an old Record no. 44 that does the same job, and I have about 6 different size cutters. What is the length of this plane? Judging from the size of you bench vise, it is only a little longer than the no.44.

#11 posted 05-03-2008 10:26 PM

A nice looking plane. I’ve got one of them that I won in a contest. They work great.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#12 posted 05-04-2008 04:18 AM

Nice plane and a good review. I like the Veritas planes as well. Karson – if I ever won a contest it would surely be for something of little or no value, Congratulations on winning yours.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Loren's profile (online now)

Loren

#13 posted 05-31-2008 07:23 AM

I think I will hold on to my Stanley #46 plane for now, but this
looks like a nice plane – though pricey compared to the
not-scarce Stanley #45 plane.

Plow planes are imperfect. If you are accustomed to cutting
grooves with a router you may like plow planes. If you usually
do it with a table saw you’ll find planes slow and fussy.

In my experience brittle hardwoods like cherry, maple, oak
and ash don’t take hand-plowing with a lot of grace. Confine
you plow-plane work to softer woods and you’ll marvel at the
smoothness of cut. Planing difficult woods will have you grumbling.

That’s my experience – and the #46 cuts smoother than most
due to the skewed blade.

I’ll pass on the Veritas. Lee Valley makes some good stuff. I guess
you have to look honestly at how much you prefer hand-work if
you are going to do it this way.

BTW – it’s quickest probably to cut a groove or two with a table
saw (bumping the fence over to get more width) and then
trim off the waste with an inverted chisel or a crank-neck chisel.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#14 posted 06-08-2008 03:20 AM

This plane was based on the Record 044 if I understand correctly. Another good used plane to pick up in this class is the Record 043. They can be found on ebay.

Fellow LJ Alf has a review of this plane on her web site as well

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov