Ridge Carbide Tool Ultra TS2000 Saw Blade

Review by BigDawg posted 551 days ago 4758 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridge Carbide Tool Ultra TS2000 Saw Blade Ridge Carbide Tool Ultra TS2000 Saw Blade Ridge Carbide Tool Ultra TS2000 Saw Blade Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I first bought my Ridgid TS3650 table saw, I knew that it would need a good blade to allow this saw to reach its full potential. I bought the Freud Fusion 40 tooth combination blade (3/32), and the Freud 24 tooth (3/32) glue line ripping blades. They both work very well. Bevels, miters (with miter gauge), and rips are done without taxing my 15 AMP motor too much.

However, here is the kicker! I then purchased a Ridge Carbide Ultra TS-2000 48-tooth general-purpose blade (3/32 kerf). And the results do NOT even compare. The machine cuts better than ever!

All I can say is the Freud make great blades, but nothing like Ridge Carbide. No saw marks of any kind. Simply put, the cuts shine. I wish that Ridge Carbide sold their blades on Amazon.com; would be great for business! The Ridge 48 tooth has nearly a 10th of an inch thick steel plate. No wobble, the teeth (carbide) are huge compared to Freud and other companies (meaning more sharpening). And their sharpening service is cheaper and BETTER than Forrest’s’.

You can always tell a good blade by signs of wear on the blade face! If you have a cheap blade, no matter how accurate the saw is setup; the name will eventually rub off due to the wood material touch the blade body (primarily this happens due to the way the carbide is ground). Plus, blade flex, wobble can cause even more premature wear and tear on carbide tips. On my Ridge blades, the name is still immaculate; nothing has been worn away yet. That shows how good these blades are! Spend the extra money and buy good blades. If you are getting scratchy cuts it is MOSTLY (not the only reason, but the major one) due to body flutter / flex!!

I used the Ridge 48 tooth for cutting phenolic faced (9-ply) ¾” plywood, both rip and crosscut with fantastic results. The Freud Fusion leaves some scratchy marks, a lot more than the Ridge! Birch and oak plywood are notorious for splintering. I had to play around with the height of the saw blade to get a minimal amount of splintering with the Freud Fusion 40 tooth. The Ridge cuts at ANY height without ANY issues!

I must say I like Freud blades but I really love this Ridge Carbide Ultra TS2000 blade. I also use a Freud 24 tooth rip 3/32 thin kerf (don’t waste your money on expensive ripping blades). The FREUD ripping blade for like 30 bucks does the trick). The Freud ripping blade works wonders on really thick wood (2 inches or more). Buy Freud blades and get great results. Buy Ridge Carbide; get the best results money can buy!

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

How long have you been using it and how much did you pay for it ?

View LexWoodWorks's profile

LexWoodWorks

2nd this review of ridge carbide…equal if not better to Forrest and Freud while being less expensive and made in the USA (NJ).

-- the lyf so short the craft so long to lerne

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

this sounds like your being paid by this company are you are these sponsored to you I have blades i like and endorse but for you to say something puts a Forrest to shame sounds suspect. EVERY BLADE MANUFACTURE USES Forrest AS A LEVEL TO ASPIRE TO For you to sell these is not a big deal I have a blade sponsor I promote their blades However I have never claimed a blade beat a Forrest that is a huge claim what do you base that on. do you have some evidence of this next to a Forrest blade ? Do you have some macro photography to show a finer finish?

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

My Freud blade’s cut quality surpassed my Forrest blade by far. Enough so that I’ll never buy another Forrest blade and sold the one I had. I’m sure that Ridge Carbide could do the same.

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

As a side note…I purchased this blade at the woodworking show for $129.00 on January 12, 2013. I didn’t compare the blade to the Forrest Woodworker blades as I have never used one.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

Another blade? I got Marples, I got CMT, I got Diablo, I got Freud, I got more blades than I’ll use before I die. Please, don’t make me go buy another blade!!

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

I’ve been using these blades since the early 80’s and will agree with BigDawg, these blade perform and stay sharp. I’ve laminated rip cuts for years with these blade and the best thing about them are the price at 89.00 for a 10 blade. Also check out there dado set great price with just great results. As well check the woodpecker tool web. site for sale on both the blade and dado set which come up quite often another source is Holbren Tools and of course Ridge Tools…nice review Big Dawg….BC

Sounds like a pretty good workhorse for the bucks. FWW did a review of the 40T back on 4-1-02, it received a pretty good rating

-- Norman

View Rick1911's profile

Rick1911

Thanks for the review. I’ve been using this blade for the past year – and it IS a great blade. Larger carbide teeth than other blades – and it does indeed cut better than my WW2. Like the reviewer says, smooth, almost polished cuts. I also send my dull blades to Ridge Carbide for sharpening. Woodpecker’s sells the Ridge Carbide Blade for $89 everyday. (www.woodpeck.com)

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

View dafus's profile

dafus

On sale for $80, presumably plus shipping.

-- This signature intentionally left blank.

View dhafelein's profile

dhafelein

I am looking for a new blade and have been searching for reviews on line. First I looked at Amazon for a Ridgid Carbide TS2000 blade and read a review by Jay Concepcion of Toronto, Canada, praising the Ridgid blade. Next on my search list is a Lumberjocks review of the same blade. In reading this review I see virtually the same review (with minor differences) only this time the author is Shawn DuGay of WallingFord, CT. This kind of “coincidence” makes me think these reviews are fake and generated to create free advertising. Caveat emptor!

View dhafelein's profile

dhafelein

Whooops! Got my Ridgid mixed up with my Ridge. My bad!

I got this bag with my dado head set at the WoodWorking Show. Hopefully some of you guys /gals can take advantage of ”mentioning this bag” and get a discount : )

View sheetzy's profile

sheetzy

I use all ridge carbide blades in my shop. they make the smoothest and cleanest cut. I love them. they are not cheap, but well worth the money to me. sheetzy

-- Sheetzy