David Barron Tools Dovetail Guide

Review by rdwile posted 553 days ago 8106 views 9 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
David Barron Tools Dovetail Guide David Barron Tools Dovetail Guide David Barron Tools Dovetail Guide Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the David Barron Dovetail Guide last summer when I ordered a couple other things from David. I played with the guide and watched David's YouTube video on how to use it.

So then I figured I was ready to cut some dovetails!

I tried it out to get the hang of it on some scrap and then moved right into cutting the dovetails on my Tommy Mac Tool Chest. The fact that this was my first dovetail project ever in carcase construction is a testament to how easy this guide its to get used to. As long as you pay attention to alignment and are meticulous in cleaning out the waste material this makes easy work of cutting dovetails.

Before I bought this guide I tried out the LV guide which I found painful to use with its screw attachment which required a pile of fiddling to make every cut. The DB guide has a sandpaper type back that holds it in place while cutting and a strong rare earth magnet to hold the saw. You can use a dovetail saw,but David recommends a Japanese saw which cuts a very thin kerf and is effortless in even the hardest of woods, I tried both and agree that the Japanese saw is the way to go.

I cannot emphasize enough how easy this makes cutting dovetails, combined with a nice set of chisels anyone can makes nice dovetailed projects. You will not be disappointed.

View John's profile

John

good looking dovetails! I too find the LV jig clunk. David Barron’s videos are great I wish he’d post more

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

Here’s a link to an article on how to make your own. I made several without the magnet. Works OK but for me, I actually seem to do better on my own and doing tails first. Yeah, the ole tails or pins first argument.

Hope the link works.

View yellowtruck75's profile

yellowtruck75

I was looking on his website and didn’t see any place that you can order one of the guides. Is it possible to order one from the States?

rdwile

Because of shipping variations and I think the size of his operation, you can email him and he will confirm the total via email. Pretty sure Paypal is how I paid.

View abie's profile

abie

Lee Valley has a similar device
I am not associated with them.
Bruce

-- Bruce. a mind is like a book it is only useful when open.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

i ALWAYS CUT TAILS FIRST IT IS HOW i WAS TAUGHT SO IT MUST BE RIGHT ACTUALLY THERE ARE LOTS OF REASONS TAILS FIRST WORKS BEST BUT YOU CAN ASK ROY

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View iminmyshop's profile

iminmyshop

Nice looking dovetails. Is there some way to use this in the making of half blind dovetails?

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

I have seen David demonstrating these at a show. The beauty of the it is in its simplicity. No clamping and you can place the saw on the line and slide the guide up to it. Much quicker than the Veritas clamping one.

He also makes a dovetail alignment board which makes it easier to transfer the lines from tails to pins (or vice versa if you are so inclined) . This was shown in an issue of Furniture and Cabinetmaker with instructions on how to build one.

Also I purchased a small ebony palm smoothing plane from David which is a beautiful tool to use and look at. He does a very nice range of wooden planes with lignum vitae soles.

Ollie

-- Ollie, UK.

iminmyshop,

You can only use this guide for the side pieces in half blind dovetails. You can use it to make some starting cuts on the blind tail side, but does not help much. I just use it for the tails and do the rest freehand.

Hi Ollie,

As I mentioned in the review, the Veritas dovetail guide is a challenge to use, getting it positioned for a cut takes some work. This guide is very slick to use. I made some drawers (draws to you) today, and all you need is a small mark on the side piece, drop the guide in place and start cutting, could not be much easier.

I also have one of David’s small smoothing planes and it is always on my bench.

I have to make one of those alignment boards since David won’t ship the one he makes, it can really help with ensuring the pieces are at 90 degrees when doing layout which is a challenge with long narrow pieces like drawer bits.

Rich

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

Looks like a nice guide. I checked out his videos, very meticulous…and great results.