Questionable Warranty

Review by Grumpymike posted 542 days ago 3768 views 0 times favorited 65 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Questionable Warranty No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a Ricon 10-325 bandsaw on November 23, 2011 And let me say that I was in hog heaven; however today I discovered that one of the guide bearings was frozen, and I called Ricon Tech Support to request a new bearing under the five year warranty. I was also informed that my saw was not under warranty.

The Tech Support Specialest I spoke with was a very well mannered and patient young fellow named Jarred, he informed me that these bearings “are a ‘consume-able’ part and not covered under the warranty”.
With that statement I questioned the fact that bearings are not covered under the warranty? and gave examples of motor bearings and drive wheel bearings etc.

Again I questioned the other bearings and his answer was “if the motor blew up we would replace it.” so I asked if the bearing on the motor shaft went bad? ... No real answer to this.

I feel that the guide bearings are an integral part of the machine, and should be covered under the warranty; and as they are not specified in the exemptions (“Blades, drill bits, sanding discs or belts”) of the warranty statement.

So here is the bottom line, The guide bearings are $21.99 plus shipping for a package of six; quite affordable, but should have been warranteed in my opinion.
Ricon will worm their way out of honoring their warranty any way they can, this is shown by the statement that my one year two month old band saw is not in warranty. Ricon’s 5 year Warranty is a farce.

Let the buyer beware … And don’t listen to the sales hype in the store.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

475 posts in 1904 days

Grumpy, I tend to agree with you.

I would contact the retailer from which I bought the saw. I would also get Rikon’s “not covered by warranty” answer in writing – starting by emailing their technical support (techsupport@rikontools.com) to see how someone other than Jarred answers the question. If the answer is still no, I’d file a complaint with the BBB then wait to see what happens.

A blade wearing out is one thing (that’s a consumable). A bearing wearing out is quite another, in my opinion.

Good luck!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I dunno. Guide bearings/blocks, tires, blades, belts- I kind of view those as consumables.
Even with that said, if I’m Rikon, and I’m selling $700 saws; I’d probably just comp the bearings as a customer service initiative.

View jim C's profile (online now)

jim C

Yea, I tend to agree with Jonathon. Spend the 6 bucks and move on.
It is aggravating dealing with companies that say one thing and then renege, so unless it’s big bucks just grin and bare it.

I have the Craftsman model of this saw. I use skateboard bearings. They are $13 for 8 bearings. Any skateboard shop or order them on line. I have found them to be of good quality and they are cheaper

-- Norman

View knotheadswoodshed's profile

knotheadswoodshed

I tend to think that all these “forget it and move on” attitudes are what these companies count on…
something I, myself am also guilty of…
just my 2 cents

-- Randy - "I dont make mistakes, I make design change opportunities" www.knotheadswoodshed.com

View Cole Tallerman's profile

Cole Tallerman

Ive used these for my powermatic bandsaw bearings. normal skateboard or roller blade bearings should work fine unless the rikon has an awkward size

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I just want my machine back in action ASAP. Calling a manufacturer and waiting for them to ship a $5 part is a waste of time. I’d rather just source the part locally and move on.
Now if a frame cracked or a motor crapped itself, that would be a different story.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

It is easy enough to reeplace the bearings yourself… but the main issue is the doubt and concern of the lack of customer satisfaction, support and warranty. That would certainly steer me away from any future Rikon purchases.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View jim C's profile (online now)

jim C

all good answers. Thats the price we pay for offshore cheap machines. Just repair them and understand they are made cheaply to sell for price and not longevity.
Those days are long over.

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

That bearing may not be shot. I had the lower thrust bearing sieze up on my big bandsaw a year ago. Not wanting to be down while waiting on a new one, I took mine out cleaned it, applied a liberal amount of “Break Free”, and worked it back and forth. It loosened right up and has worked fine ever since. The new one is still sitting in a drawer waiting to be used. Worth a try! I certainly wouldn’t buy a full new set of 6 bearings.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Monte Pittman's profile

Monte Pittman

Their lawyers are very good at writing warranties so that there is a minimal chance of them ever having to honor them. Keeps the share holders happy.

-- Mother Nature created it, I just assemble it. - It's not ability that we often lack, but the patience to use our ability

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

If the machine had guide blocks, would you expect the blocks to be a warrantied item? Now depending on use, a year and some is a short time for the bearing. Head off to your local Bearing Belt and Chain store get yourself a few guide bearings. May as well get a couple of thrust bearings while you are there.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View trasner's profile

trasner

Interesting because I have the same bandsaw and had the same problem last year (my Rikon is a 2010). They sent me a pack of bearings at no charge. I have called Rikon on a few occassions with questions or issues regarding my bandsaw and found their tech support to be second to none. Perhaps it just depends on the person you speak with. Personally I would call again and speak with another tech specialist or a tech manager and plead your case. Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

-- Todd

”Squeaky wheel gets the oil!” Try it on bearings as well !
I first use a penetrating oil until they free up , and then I either use 3inONE oil or router bearing oil in the handy needle tip dispenser. Most folks don’t realize that most penetrating oils evaporate fairly quickly : )

View LeChuck's profile

LeChuck

My experience with the same saw and Rikon’s support is that I found that the cast iron fence support bar wasn’t straight, not allowing the fence to stay parallel. I contacted them by email, and they responded (the guy in charge), asked my address and put a new one in the mail, with mounting screws and all.

-- David - Tucson, AZ