Carter MagFence II

Review by BigDawg posted 01-16-2013 08:21 PM 2935 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Carter MagFence II No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My 14” Rikon band saw is dedicated to re-sawing and other straight cuts. I was not happy with the original fence and I purchased this Carter magnet-based fence. I’ve worked with it for some and now I offer a review with both the positives and the negatives in my opinion.

As expected, the quality and the workmanship are outstanding. This tool is well made. The fence is held very securely with the 2 included 30mm MagSwitches. There are 4 places to hold the MagSwitches, so you can adjust it to fit virtually any size table.

Since the main purpose of my band saw is re-sawing, I also purchased the optional 5” UHMW face board.
After adding the face board, I checked it for square to the table. It was perfectly perpendicular to the table.
The Carter fence is 15” long and 3” high. In my opinion the Carter MagFence II fence is a very well made, tool. I am very happy with its overall performance.

One caveat, I purchased this fence at the woodworking show and it was on sale for $89.00 including the optional UHMW face board. The regular price is $99.00 plus another $24.95 for the face board directly from Carter Products.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

View jack1's profile

jack1

1953 posts in 2782 days

#1 posted 01-16-2013 08:44 PM

Looks like you got a great tool for a good price. Can’t beat that!

Jack

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

#2 posted 01-16-2013 09:32 PM

Good score! Band saw fence is very useful.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#3 posted 01-17-2013 11:19 AM

I purchased the first iteration of this mag fence… also at a woodworking show, also with UHWM face board. The second generation is far superior to the first. Using knobs instead of a lever on each end saves innumerable finger injuries as the lever snaps back due to the high quality of the magnet. I did try talking with the folks from Carter at the show the following year and they just were not happy to hear about it. I asked if I could “trade it in” since I thought it was an inferior product (as evidenced by the new model just one year later) and again, they were not interested. Carter is a great company… the first design of this fence was not one of their star products.
Buy the one reviewed here if you are looking…
Great review, BigDawg.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

15337 posts in 1944 days

#4 posted 01-17-2013 04:15 PM

I have been on the fence on buying this for a while. ( pun intnended ) LOL Nice review I think I’ll pick one up.

View Triumph1's profile

Triumph1

#5 posted 01-17-2013 05:44 PM

Shawn, I have the 14” Rikon also. The fence is so so as you stated. It isn’t square to the table. Like Ellen I bought the first version of the Magfence. I completely understand her finger injury statement. I plan on re-purposing it and picking up this new model. Thanks for the review.

-- Jeff , Illinois Please...can I stay in the basement a little longer, please!

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

#6 posted 01-18-2013 02:11 AM

Good post!

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View jdman's profile

jdman

#7 posted 01-19-2013 12:34 AM

You need to talk to someone at Carter, always ask for someone other than who answers the phone. push! They do not want to hear about an inferior product, Call the people who sponsor the wood working expo, they will pressure them, and remember the squeaking wheel gets the grease.

Sorry to rant but I hate people and companies who put out an inferior product. I am tired of China Junk and the people who sell such junk.

Good Luck and Regards.

JDman

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#8 posted 01-24-2013 08:04 PM

Thanks for the review… very helpful.

I bought, but have yet to receive, a Craftsman 14 inch bandsaw… and it does not come with a fence. So, I will be in the market for a good fence. I had looked at this online, and wondered about it. Also, I saw on line the older model Ellen mentions.. I could see a problem with the older version.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...