Log weight & BFT calculator for Android devices

Review by HalDougherty posted 01-15-2013 12:30 PM 1976 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Log weight & BFT calculator for Android devices Log weight & BFT calculator for Android devices No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been very impressed with this calculator I found on Google Play. Here's the link to the free app. There is a paid version that adds features, 1. multiple tally sheets & 2. the ability to e-mail the sheets to another device. I’ll be paying the small fee to upgrade this app. The grocery store now has a bunch of prepaid cards for sale and one of them is for the Google Play Store! If the link doesn’t work, just go to your Google Play app and search using the keyword: sawlog

To use the app, search the main database for the species you have in your area and add them to your short list. The main list is way too much to scroll through every time you get a new log. Then put in the length of the log and the diameter of the small end. The app calculates the size of the big end, but doesn’t calculate the small amount of lumber that can still be cut from the log or allow for bent, crooked or other defects. You’ll have to use your own experience to downgrade the log for defects. The app then calculates the estimated weight of the log and the estimated yield in board feet. You can then add the results to a tally sheet. The paid version allows for multiple tally sheets and e-mailing the results. It’s not that much trouble to carry a pad & pen and make my own permanent record, but… for $2.99 Ill just send them to my e-mail.

If anyone knows of other Android apps for sawmills, timber operations or woodworking, please post a review and share your knowledge with everyone here. Thanks in advance.

-- Hal, Tennessee http://www.first285.com

View HalDougherty's profile

HalDougherty

View TreeBones's profile

TreeBones

#1 posted 01-15-2013 03:39 PM

Very cool. The only problem is I don’t have any type of cell phone let alone one of the fancy ones….

-- Ron, Twain Harte, Ca. Portable on site Sawmill Service http://westcoastlands.net/Sawmill.html http://westcoastlands.net/SawBucks2/phpBB3 http://www.portablesawmill.info

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#2 posted 01-15-2013 03:50 PM

Thanks Hal, I just downloaded the free version on my tablet. I’ll play with it awhile before I pay for the full version.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View Post_Oakie's profile

Post_Oakie

#3 posted 01-15-2013 07:04 PM

Neat. Makes me want to get one of those fancy gadgets. When I started out with firewood, I had to count on my fingers & toes (which only got me to 21 or sometimes 22, depending…).

-- Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

View woodnewbee's profile

woodnewbee

#4 posted 01-16-2013 04:08 AM

Looks like an awesome app. I do a bit of saw work these days but could have used when I was a sawyer. Thanks I will use it.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#5 posted 01-16-2013 07:11 AM

looks better than the one I paid three bucks for thanks!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.