Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) UPDATE REVIEW

Review by Bradley Anderson posted 01-11-2013 08:37 PM 5974 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) UPDATE REVIEW Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) UPDATE REVIEW No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

First of all ill like to point anyone who did not read my first opening the box review on this please have a read
( http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3133 ).

So ive now been using this router (and im going to be calling it a router from now on for reason ill touch below),
now for 2 weeks but in those two weeks its had a good shake down and run time. Most of the two weeks use was in my full time job as a joiner making door, windows and stairs. So i thought ild put though some different types of work there and at home.

The first few jobs with this were simple round over’s on bifold doors and windows, the tool was so quite i hate to look to see if it was one when spinning at speed step 1 on the dial. I ran the tool at the low speed to see what bog down of the motor i got in some Australian hardwood (spotted Gum), what i heard was very little RPM drop and the finish cut was ok. The next past i turned the speed up to the full 30,000RPM which left and great finish on the round over.
The next task for this router was again at my full time job, this time routing out holes for bench top joiners in hardwood sills of bay windows in the factory. For this job i was using a 12mm straight bit, the final cut out depth was 19mm with a completed in 2 passes and ease. So far so good i thought.

The next job was back at home in my workshop, this time some inlay work on serving boards. As you can see in the picture of me part way though the work. Some the cut outs took me up to 15mins to cut out, in which time the tool got very hot around the mid section. To hot to hold for any amount of time this is the base was still fine to hold and i finished the job. The router was great for this type of work with the weight of the it just sat there until i moved it, i did fined it a little top heavy but worked great.

So for now on in for most little job up to mid sized work i will be going straight for this router. By far the best little router / trimmer i have used in my 10 years as a joiner.

Just my take…
Brad Anderson

-- Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes! - "Walter Blodget" https://www.facebook.com/bradandersonfinefurniturewoodworking

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

#1 posted 01-12-2013 08:42 AM

Hello Bradley,

I am using this router as a DIY user. And i agree that this is a great router. The mine is 220 V. Is the american type also 220?

-- My englisch is bad but how is your dutch?

#2 posted 01-12-2013 08:06 PM

Dutchy im in Australia so my router is 240v. Thanks for the comment.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#3 posted 01-12-2013 08:15 PM

The American version is 110v.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

146 posts in 1965 days

#4 posted 01-22-2013 11:05 PM

We have a 110v version, in the UK you can get both voltages. It is a very nice router indeed. Small but powerful, Variable speed, 3 different bases and normal Makita quality.

Ollie

-- Ollie, UK.

#5 posted 01-23-2013 09:52 AM

Yes Ollie it is great the Australian version only comes with the single round fixed base. Im now trying to fine somewhere to get the other bases from oversea. Makita do not bring them in to Australia

View Ton80's profile

Ton80

#6 posted 07-04-2013 09:55 PM

I just picked this router up last night and haven’t even fired it up yet but I have one negative observation. The included base has an opening that will not accept some common bits used for edge routing that I would otherwise fully expect it to be capable of since my burned out Bosch Colt was capable. With the bosh, the plastic portion of the base had to be removed and I cut a 1/4” piece of MDF with a larger hole to accept a larger round over or coving bit. With the makita, the aluminum portion of the base has a hole that matches the small plastic plate so there is no way to use a decent size round over which is already making me think I will be returning the router and either going back to the Bosch or taking a look at the dewalt and its base.

Can anyone comment on whether using the plunge base with the makita will allow for a larger bit opening with a shop made sub base?

-- struggling to make a living at what I love doing... thanks for making it so difficult Vampire State.

View Ton80's profile

Ton80

#7 posted 07-09-2013 03:17 PM

Still wondering if anyone can tell me about the opening of the Plunge base for the Makita RT0700. I spoke to their tech Support and I was told the opening is a 2-3/16 diameter opening which sounds quite large for a compact router. I can’t find any info or images on the web that will confirm this so I am hoping a member of LJ has this base and confirm that information.