Works like magic!!

Review by jayman7 posted 01-10-2013 04:04 AM 2543 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works like magic!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have endured years of having a completely unbalanced grinder to sharpen my turning tools. I tried truing the wheel on the front edge and side, putting shims to get rid of the wobble, and adjusting the bushings so the wheel sits dead center. Every attempt to eliminate vibration have failed. I spent countless hours trying to prevent the grinder from literally walking off the table and taking every tool with it while it vibrated. The vibrations were so loud against the table that I was forced to use ear protection. It drove me absolutely nuts. You have no idea.

I finally bit the bullet and spent $70 to get rid of the problem once and for all. Did it work perfectly? Yes. Was it worth it even with the steep price? YES! When I turned on the grinder after balancing each wheel, I was pretty hesitant but there was no vibrations to speak of. There was just that gentle hum that I see in all the professional woodworking videos. Wow!! Small price to pay for my sanity

Balancing took a little bit of time but it was relatively painless. The one hiccup was that one of my wheels were so uneven that the standard three balancing washers was not beefy enough to balance it. I had to use three larger washers instead and that was just barely enough to get the wheel to stay in any position.

The system also comes with very solid, machined flanges to eliminate the use of those pieces of $#!! plastic bushings that Norton sells with every wheel. The system also gives you two perfectly machined washers to use in place of the metal cupped washers that come with the grinder. This allows the flanges to mate up with the washers perfectly.

I expect the fresh grinds on my gouges to be more refined, leaving a sharper cutting edge and ultimately giving me a smooth cut on the wood. Can’t wait to try it out!

Bottomline: If you’re tired of your loud, vibrating grinder, do your sanity a favor and buy this kit.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

View doordude's profile

doordude

#1 posted 01-10-2013 06:10 AM

jayman i’m glad to hear you solved your own problem. i’ve never had a grinder/ grinder wheel be out of balance, that something needed to be manipulated to work properly. but i guess i’m so wrong, due to the fact there is a product to solve this problem. thanks for enlighting me.

View diemaker's profile

diemaker

#2 posted 01-11-2013 04:26 AM

jayman, thanks for the heads up on your grinder, I too have the same problem & as a matter of fact it looks like I may have the same grinder as you under a different name. Like you I tried everything I could think of to correct the vibration to no avail. I will look into getting this kit. thanks again

-- Ray, New Hampshire, http://Raydor@metrocat.net

View riverguy's profile

riverguy

#3 posted 01-12-2013 02:20 AM

Interesting take on that grinder. I have a 40 year old Dayton 8” commercial-build grinder that I bought new. It never vibrated, not with the original wheels or with any replacements through the years. When we moved a little over a year ago I needed a grinder while my old friend was still in transit, so I went to see the Orange Apron guys and ended up buying that what appears to be same Ryobi grinder as in your photo. I recall it was the only bench grinder they had in stock.

I turned it on the first time and it about walked off of the bench. No, make that LOPED off of the bench. I removed both wheels to see if there was anything obvious wrong. Nothing. I replaced one wheel and the vibration was way down, but the wheel was a good 1/16” out of true. I removed it and installed the other one, and it was the culprit. No matter how I installed it, it made the grinder jump all over the place. So I got out an old wheel from one of my boxes of stuff, installed it on the left side and the problem was fixed. The grinder was still slow to come up to speed, a result of an undersized motor, and it still did vibrate a bit, but it was doable as a one-wheel grinder until my good old, 40-yr-old real one came home.

I’d bet the whole thing has to do with Ryobi’s attention to detail. But then, my old grinder cost me over $100 40 years ago and the Ryobi was $60 in 2011 dollars!

-- Skip, Forestville, CA, http://www.sonomastainedglass.com

View OldTimeShopSmith's profile

OldTimeShopSmith

#4 posted 01-14-2013 12:10 AM

jayman,

I have the same problem with my grinding wheel. Where did you get the balancing system?

-- Scott, Illinois

#5 posted 01-14-2013 12:14 AM

Thanks for the interesting review.

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#6 posted 01-14-2013 07:34 PM

I have one and love it. Was expensive but worth every cent. I could not use a grinder without it anymore.

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#7 posted 01-14-2013 07:41 PM

Scott, I got mine from Lee Valley. They had a free shipping special at the time but unfortunately it expired already.

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

#8 posted 01-17-2013 01:45 PM

glad it works good! seems like a steep price for ryobi though…i just bought a porter cable for $79. i almost got the skil b/c i figure all it has to do is spin, and it was only $49, but the PC had variable speed and a little trough for water. works good so far! my old craftsman did the same thing as your old one…made the parts shake loose and fall into the wheel. scares the crap out of you lol.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#9 posted 01-17-2013 03:41 PM

Thanks for the tip.

helluvawreck aka Charles

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#10 posted 01-17-2013 04:13 PM

looks like a good idea for a product.

curious though – what wheels are you using on your grinder (that are so unbalanced)?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.