Momentary Power Foot Switch

Review by b2rtch posted 01-09-2013 11:01 PM 2657 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Momentary Power Foot Switch No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

How many time when starting your router or your drill press or other power tool did you wish you had one more hand to grab firmly on the piece you were ready to machine?

Often we present a piece of wood on the router just at right place to route it and then we need to let go of it to start the router and then the piece move. Or we hardly can hold one large piece , we do not feel very safe and then we need to let go of one hand to start the router or the drill press.

After I refurbished my Unisaw and installed the router table and the router a few months ago, I also installed this foot switch that I have been using since.
I feel much safer now when I start m y router because I can firmly grab on the piece to machine with both hands.
Two version of this switch exist: Momentary and Permanent.
I use the momentary.
I think that using this switch greatly improve the safety of using my router.
I very strongly recommend the use of this switch.

#1 posted 01-09-2013 11:04 PM

thanks for the review Bert.

-- Custom furniture

View ChuckC's profile

807 posts in 1975 days

#2 posted 01-09-2013 11:21 PM

Good review.
I use this with my Work Sharp 3000 when I hone with the felt or leather wheel.

View cutworm's profile

#3 posted 01-10-2013 01:21 AM

Thanks Bert. I can think of several uses for these. Great price as well. 15A too.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

#4 posted 01-10-2013 01:30 AM

I have a similar model that I’ve used on numerous tools. Nice review, Bert : )

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

#5 posted 01-10-2013 02:16 AM

I have this switch. I use it with my router assembly. Works great!!!

-- Max the "night janitor" at

View kajunkraft's profile

#6 posted 01-10-2013 03:51 AM

You all are pretty brutal at times. Why are you saying “good review”? This seems to me to be about a concept, ie: using a foot control vs. how did this product perform.

View RonInOhio's profile

720 posts in 1904 days

#7 posted 01-10-2013 05:09 AM

What is the difference between momentary and permanent ?

I assume …..
Momentary. You need to hold down the pedal to turn on the machine and keep it on ? When you take your foot off the switch turns off ?

Sorry didn’t bother clicking on the link. That explained it.

4995 posts in 2044 days

#8 posted 01-10-2013 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at these, but wondered if they held up

-- Norman

View tomd's profile

1930 posts in 2810 days

#9 posted 01-11-2013 07:37 PM

-- Tom D

#10 posted 01-11-2013 07:42 PM

You all are very welcome

View DamnYankee's profile

#11 posted 01-11-2013 08:51 PM

I have the permanent one on my lathe and looking to get one or the other for the DP and Router

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

#12 posted 01-11-2013 08:57 PM

I think that the temporary one is safer, if something goes wrong let go off it and everything stops.
I would not use a permanent on a lathe, if your sleeve or something get caught , you are in deep trouble.

View eruby's profile

#13 posted 01-11-2013 11:09 PM

I agree with your review. These are very useful and inexpensive. (if you catch it on sale and use the 20% off coupon). I use this switch with my scroll saw and the permanent switch on the router table. Both continue to work as they should. I didn’t like using the “dead man switch” for the router table because I had to alter the way that I stand.

-- Eric - Baltimore MD

View runswithscissors's profile

#14 posted 01-15-2013 05:46 AM

The scenarios you described show exactly why I’ve always liked trigger switches on routers—on the D handle PC 690, and on the PC big plunge (can’t remember the model #). I don’t understand why more manufacturers don’t use it. I can’t see a single downside to a trigger switch, except that it’s a bit awkward if using it in a router table.