A great deal

Review by Purrmaster posted 466 days ago 2498 views 0 times favorited 45 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great deal No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using this blade for a few months now. It’s lived in my miter saw most of that time and I just tried it out on the table saw for rip cuts.

I’ve been very pleased with this blade, overall. The titanium nitride coating does seem to reduce friction and give a somewhat cleaner cut. The blade is nice and sharp out of the box. It cut more easily and cleanly the Kobalt blades I had been using in the miter saw. And the rip cuts it did were good too. The saw didn’t bog down as it had with some other blades.

The best part is this thing is less than $15 at Harbor Freight. Even less with a 20% off coupon. At that price you can keep a couple of spares around when you need a fresh blade.

The only reason I didn’t give it five stars is because the sharpness did seem to wear out somewhat more quickly than other blades. If I could have given if 4.5 stars I would have.

There are better blades but I’m not sure if there are better blades for the money.

Note to SawStop owners: The titanium nitride coating does not interfere with the SawStop safety system’s detection or trip the brake.

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

a point RE price and comparing to other blades:

This blade uses C2 carbide – not really resharpenable, so this would be considered a throw-away blade. C2 compared to C4 or C6 carbide also doesn’t keep it’s edge that long. so comparing this with a higher quality blade that keeps it’s edge sharp longer makes this “ONLY $15” throw-away blade rather expensive long term.

IMO- This blade might be a good candidate if you have to cut some materials that is risky that you wouldn’t want to ruin a ‘good’ blade with, but for general long term woodworking work, I’d stick with a C4 blade with large teeth that can be resharpened and have a better balance – long term, it WILL be cheaper.

just my $0.02

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

”While this may not be an apple to apple comparison” – no it’s not

”Is this blade 800% better than the HF blade?” – that depends on how much your shop time is worth. once a blade starts to lose it’s sharpness it cuts less and tears more (more cleanup for you).

I am not a big fan of “throw away products” in general, and there are also other high quality blades other than just WWII…

don’t get me wrong, I don’t have experience with this blade to really tell how it performs but I also have not seen any test cut pictures in this review to point out how this really performs – for one person “works well” could be that it cut through the board, while for another person it means a tear-free burn-free clean cut, but based on specs, just putting the facts out there for people to be more informed.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

lumberjoe

I’m with PurpLev on this one. I bought one to rip some 2×6’s that I knew had staples in them. It was the cheapest carbide blade I could get my hands on. I’d rate the cut quality and efficiency right up there with the crappy 40 tooth blade that came with my Ridgid table saw. It’s about the quality that a manufacturer included blade on a DIY’er/Homeowner type tool comes with out of the box.

If you want a cheap blade that will perform reasonably well for a decent length of time, the Freud Diablo 40 tooth (D1040A) is about 30$ on amazon. It is easily twice the blade, if not 3 or 4 times the blade. If you want an even better blade, spend another 8$ and get the 50 tooth 1050X

109347 posts in 2079 days

Thanks for you review

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

I have had this blade on my mitre saw for the past 6 months and am very happy with its performance.

I consider circular blades to be a consumable as I have never experienced consistent success with “sending them out” for sharpening (at a cost of $10 + shipping). I’m happy to spend $30 or less on a blade that will give me several months of service and then to simply replace it after that time. To spend only $10 to $12 for such a blade is a major bonus.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

My Lowe’s has the 10” Marples 50T with the non stick coating, and the oversized precision ground carbide teeth on sale for $34.75. With my military discount that’s $31.27.
I think I can safely say the Marples is probably 3-4 times the blade to the HF for only twice the money.
And I’ve looked at the HF blade, the teeth are in no way oversized.

Still, if I was to have to cut up some old telephone poles, knowing I would trash a blade, this might be a good option.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

Tennessee, HF regularly sells the 40 tooth blade for $12.99. With the 20% discount (which is not limited to just military), it’s $10.39. So the Marples blade is 3 times the blade for 3 times the money, not 2. I’m just sayin’.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

lumberjoe

That marples blade is easily 5x the blade that the HF version is. It’s one of my favorites for general purpose/casual work.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

The HF blade is junk. Not worth the energy to make the trip there. Still can’t believe how some people rationalize buying this garbage.

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

Some of us rationalize it because of budget. If I can get a blade for $10 or $15 that allows me to continue woodworking as a hobby now instead of waiting til the next paycheck, well, maybe the cut’s not the greatest and it doesn’t last the longest but that’s 2 weeks I can keep woodworking. Maybe the “junk” blade isn’t worth the saved $ to you but on an extremely tight budget like mine it’s very valuable. As a cancer survivor that is still after 5 years trying to pay for medical bills that would make you vomit in your mouth I appreciate every dollar I can save, so thank you Purrmaster, I appreciate you taking the time to review these blades. I need a new 12” for my miter saw so maybe I’ll look for one next time I’m there.

It’s good life practice to try to be more understanding of people that you have no idea what there circumstances are and be appreciative of those that take time out of their lives to help inform others whether you agree with their opinion or not.

What’s the hook angle on that puppy ?
Looks pretty aggressive to be used on a miter saw from here.
Does it say anywhere on it that it is for use on one ?
You say that it’s already noticeably duller after some use on a chop saw and some rip cuts.
Thanks for letting us know about this cheapy. I have some rough framing to cut up : )

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

lumberjoe

smitdog, I am a very budget conscious guy as well. Some things will cost you more in the long run. For a really casual user, a 30$ diablo or a 35$ Marples blade could be a lifetime blade. The HF blade will probably get you through a project or two before the cuts become unacceptable and dangerous.

This is a disposable blade you use when you are pretty sure you are going to saw through something that is not wood and will ruin it.

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I can say this for sure. They are better than Marathon by Irwin. I put one on my miter saw and thought I had a bearing or something going bad. Had a cut thicker on the edges and smaller in the middle. I bought a blade at HF just to see if it was the blade and it was. I continued to use the HF blade for about a year before it started to dull. I was satisfied with it. I have a 40t on one of my circle saws as well. They don’t cut like the CMT blades I have but they aren’t junk in my opinion. For $12 I don’t care if it’s disposable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not sure why anyone would compare it to a blade at 10x the cost. My Honda isn’t a BMW and I’m ok with that.

-- "Actions speak louder than words but not nearly as often." - Mark Twain

GO HONDA !!

Sounds like it meets your needs, so it is a great purchase for you

-- Norman