Clogs, Bogs, and Dogs

Review by pintodeluxe posted 01-07-2013 07:57 AM 1540 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Clogs, Bogs, and Dogs No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have become accustomed to long lasting sandpaper like Norton 3x, and Freuds excellent ceramic blend sanding disks for my random orbit sander. I was running low on supplies, so I grabbed these Dewalt disks one day.
Almost instantly the paper loads and clogs while sanding oak and Titebond II glue. The sanding was short lived, and I clocked about 8-10 minutes of sanding before switching pads. At first I thought the dust collection was excellent, then I realized it was only because these disks weren’t actually producing any dust.
For comparison sake, Norton 3x or Freud ceramic blend last about 45 minutes per disk, and cost less than the Dewalts.

Finally the universal 5 hole / 8 hole pattern is a joke, and it doesn’t fully align with my 8 hole sander. The Norton paper fits my sander, so the sander is a standard unit. Universal = one size fits none.

The velcro stuck well, but then again I was only using each disk for 10 min max.
Nothing else good to say about this product. Don’t waste your time.

I have switched to Klingspor, which is an excellent product. Abrasives as good as Freud, and with hole patterns that match your sander. I buy the VD900 series. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

#1 posted 01-07-2013 04:15 PM

Thanks for the review…I’ll stay away from this product !

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 01-07-2013 09:21 PM

Thank you. I thought the Diablo discs, with all those little holes that don’t suck up anything were bad.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#3 posted 01-07-2013 09:45 PM

The Freud Diablo disks do have the universal hole pattern, which is unfortunate. The abrasives on the Freud are vastly superior to these Dewalts.
I guess it’s time to order some Klingspor.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#4 posted 01-07-2013 11:56 PM

I buy mine from Klingspor. I found out a long time ago that just because something had a “brand” name on it, it doesn’t always mean it’s that great.

-- Life is good.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#5 posted 01-08-2013 03:09 AM

Pinto- Have you tried the Abranet discs? They are the best I have ever used: don’t load up and provide excellent dust collection. They also last forever (if you don’t snag and edge and tear them). Considering their speed and longevity, I think they are the best value in sanding discs.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm