Windsor design 60" workbench

Review by flyboiy posted 01-07-2013 07:16 AM 6895 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Windsor design 60" workbench No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

On sale for $139, how could I go wrong. You could not build this on your own for less. The felt lined drawers are roomy and strong. The top of the bench is roughly 1” solid oak, with 2×1 oak edging all the way around. As a matter of fact, the meat of the table is solid oak except for parts of the drawer and the bottom shelf. After assembly (2 hours) I was amazed at how sturdy it was. As with many wood projects that need to be assembled, I had some alignment issues, but not a big deal. The only problem I am having is trying to get the drawers to fit. I have tried everything! I slide the drawer in and it gets stuck about half way in. Has anyone had this problem?

View flyboiy's profile

flyboiy

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#1 posted 01-07-2013 02:58 PM

I have the same bench with similar issues with the drawers. The ones that actually do open and close are very stiff, I have to smack them good to close all the way. I figured it was because mine was a floor model and had been beat up a bit. I haven’t taken the time to try to tune it up so I’m not sure if it will be a permanent thing for me too.

Did you notice the provided pegs not fitting the dog holes the greatest? My pegs tilt quite a bit with even mild pressure which makes it hard to keep the workpiece flat on the bench. I’m thinking the round part that actually goes into the hole in the table is too short. If it were longer I think it’d work better.

My opinion with it is that it is a decent starting point but really needs some modifications before it becomes a good bench. I didn’t have to assemble mine though, so it may not be worth the hassle if you have to put it together as well!

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#2 posted 01-07-2013 03:32 PM

Welcome to LJ’s flyboiy!

Sounds like you have to make some adjustments to make
the drawers slide better. Take some measurements, side to side and diagonally, of the opening and of the drawer.

If the drawer opening is 16 inches then the drawer should be
15 inches straight back.

Have fun making adjustments.

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

#3 posted 01-07-2013 09:48 PM

I can’t complain to much about this bench for the price. I believe that I picked up the identical bench from HF for $120 (not to burst your bubble, I had a 20% off coupon). It works pretty well for small things but when I was starting to get into hand planes and saws it seemed to light for me and it would move around the floor of my garage a lot. Therefore I built a new bench, which I am finishing right now. My drawers work really well in mine though. I now use this bench for my stationary power tools (drill press, belt sander, and scroll saw).

Welcome to LJ’s, you won’t be dissapointed and don’t be afriad to ask questions!

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View RonInOhio's profile

RonInOhio

#4 posted 01-07-2013 10:27 PM

While you may not be able to build a bench with four drawers for that price, you can build one much sturdier without the drawers for that price or less. I saw this bench up close. It didn’t appear to be very sturdy. Certainly not for hand planing and the like.

I think its fair to point out also that this bench is made out of poor materials. The one I saw had numerous cracks running the length and the top seemed very thin.

Anyway, i still was tempted to pull the trigger. It does look good and is probably ok as long as its bolted down and you don’t use it for purposes it wasn’t designed for.

View bullhead1's profile

bullhead1

#5 posted 01-07-2013 10:34 PM

I have one as an extra table. Spray some silicone on the drawer slides. Thats what I did and it helped. I bought it for assembly purposes and because it had a vice. Would I buy it again? I got mine like GlennsGrandson with the coupon, I probably wouldn’t pay more than that.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#6 posted 01-07-2013 10:35 PM

Flyboy, welcome to LJs. I love your enthusiasm; may your abilities quickly outgrow this bench! :-)

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

#7 posted 01-07-2013 10:58 PM

I’ve got that bench and I like it. The drawers are sticky but I don’t use them much. I only have one complaint.

The dog holes are, I think, 10 mm in diameter. Standard dog holes are 3/4” which means that I have to find a way to drill all new bench holes in this thing.

It’s not very wide and the vise isn’t great but it’s a great bench for the money.

Harbor Freight may have changed it but my bench is made of rubber wood, not oak. Which is fine. I haven’t had any problem with it and it seems quite flat and stable.

One of these days I’m going to get another one of these and butt them up against each other to make a wider table.

Overall, I think this bench is a steal.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

#8 posted 02-16-2013 07:38 PM

I’m surprised you say it’s sturdy, but maybe they’ve improved manufacturing since I bought an earlier version some years ago. It had the same leg design, but a second vise, a long tool tray and only 1 drawer. It was so shaky I had to screw plywood braces and T-braces to stabilize it. After that and re-drilling the vise holes (which were misaligned) it worked fine. With most HB style items, factory quality control is weak, so scoring a good one may be a bit a of crap shoot.

View Fresch's profile

Fresch

#9 posted 05-28-2013 11:18 PM

Yes I see how old this post is; I am reading it for the first time.
I have two, one I use to reload ammo, the other is in my smoke house for food prep.. Work great, when you put the drawers in all the plastic must be forward, then push them in.
I have a hand built bench in my shop.