Porter-Cable PC218C-2 PORTER-CABLE 18-Volt Cordless Drill & Circular Saw Combo

Review by kdc68 posted 473 days ago 1386 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable PC218C-2 PORTER-CABLE 18-Volt Cordless Drill & Circular Saw Combo No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this combo set for just over a year now. Overall they work good. The Nicad batteries aren’t as long lasting as I would have hoped. When I had the chance I upgraded to Lithuim batteries. That was an improvement.
The drill has its quirks. The chuck isn’t the best. Once in a while the driver or a drill bit comes loose when using it. I have learned to tighten the chuck after a few uses.
The cordless saw isn’t bad, but I upgraded to a better blade (the norm). The saw isn’t made to crosscut 2×4’s all day long, but does great when I cut a couple of sheet goods down to a managable size.
If you are a DIY person and if you want an inexpensive tool combo this is it. But if you are out on a jobsite all day screwing deck boards or ripping sheating for a roof then perhaps you should look elsewhere. The batteries are compatible with all their 18 volt tools. Be sure to have the correct charger though. They make a charger for either nicad or lithuim, and one thats for both. So thats a plus

Pros
Inexpensive, battteries and chargers work for all PC 18 volt tools.

Cons
Probably not professional quality, but great for the DYI’er

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

Thanks for the revue, unfortunately Portable-Cable are not the tools that they once were. The company that owns them also owns DeWalt. Rather then have the two compete, they lowered the quality of Portable-cable. The only exception is the Portable-cable routers. Portable-Cable was sold by Delta. In this market, it is very hard to find quality tools as it once was, at a decent price.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

kdc68

TheOldTimer- Correct. But I can’t complain too much here. I paid under $80.00 (on sale) for this combo. So in essence in I did get what I paid for

View whitebeast88's profile

whitebeast88

thanks for the review,i have the same set i guess i’ve had it 2 years and have been happy with it.like you the saw works good but drains the batt’s quick.i use it for quick cuts.the same problem on the drill with the chuck.but upgrading to it from a craftsman is nice in itself.

-- Marty.Athens,AL

kdc68

Whitebeast88 – Yep it is an ugrade from Craftsman. Considering I paid under $80 (on sale) I am happy with this combo despite the flaws

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I bought one of these about a year ago, paid $99. It’s OK, but more then two-three cuts on plywood with the saw and the battery is dying. Drill is better, but not my normal go-to. Overall, it’s a low-end set.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com