Harbor Freight 300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base

Review by kdc68 posted 467 days ago 2495 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base Harbor Freight 300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I own 4 of these bases. Obvisiously I like them and think they are a good product. They are well made and glide easily across the shop floor. Assembly with the first one was a bit confusing. But after that the other 3 were easy. I’ve read from several sources that hardware is missing (specifically not enough nuts and bolts). All four I purchased had all the necessary hardware. The misconception is people think they need to place a bolt in every hole of the four corner braces. This is not true. The corner braces are all machined the same. Bolt placement is dependant on which corner brace is used where. They are inexpensive (20% off coupon is a perk) compared to similar products.
You can configure them tight against your machinery or build it oversized for machinery with a narrow base like a drill press. See photos.
I don’t exceed the 300lb but I think they could support more than that. They are thick, heavy and finished well with decent nuts and bolts. The big knobs turn easily, steadies your machine level and doesn’t move while in use. The only downside (minor), aside from the instructions, is machining your own lumber to 1-1/4”.

Pros
Heavy duty, oversized adjustment knob, fit and finish, nicely packaged and all necessary hardware, cost

Cons
Machining the lumber, instructions could be clearer

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

344 posts in 1932 days

What was the cost on these. I have a grizzly bandsaw that could use one of these under it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

kdc68

Scott Oldre – Where I live they are $39.99. If you can get a 20% off coupon that brings it down to $31.99 before tax

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

I have one of these. I find it a fine base for the price.

I originally used the base on my jointer, but bought a different brand (one with a foot lever) for the jointer and placed the HF base onto my RAS. I move the jointer everytime I use it and cranking the knobs was tiresome. The RAS will only be moved on rare ocassions (when the shop is rearranged) and the lack of a foot lever isn’t critical.

All in all though the HF mobile base is a good base for the price!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

I just ordered one a few days ago. Glad to see they are well-regarded. I’ve heard you can get 1” square “tubing” to use instead of lumber.

kdc68

Tedstor – The inside dimension of the openings on those corner braces is 1-1/4” x 1-1/4” So 1” square tubing would be a real loose fit and may not be the best chose for stabilty

kdc68

DIYaholic- Those foot levers are nice. I have one on my jointer as well

View OnlyJustME's profile

OnlyJustME

Depends on if the 1” square tube dimension is the inside or outside dimension. If it’s the inside dimension with a 1/8” wall you have 1-1/4” outside dimension. Not sure were in NoVA you are Ted but you can check out Potomac Steel you want some steel tube.

-- In the end, when your life flashes before your eyes, will you like what you see?

kdc68

OnlyJustMe – I guess to be sure one would have to buy the square tube that measures 1-1/4” OD to fit inside the corner braces measuring 1-1/4” ID.

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

I also bought one of these for my 1956-7 Powermatic 60 8” jointer…I think it exceeds the 300 pound limit by just a wee bit , but it’s not like I take the jointer for a spin around the block everyday. I made my stretchers from White Oak and Hickory and they seem to be taking it in stride. Even though I didn’t use all of the holes , I was still short 3 bolts and 4 nuts , plus I bought separate bolts that weren’t threaded all of the way to use for axles in the rubber / plastic tires , figuring the weight of the machine would eat the tires up in no time from the threads chewing at it from the inside out. Regarding the levelers / feet or whatever you want to call them , I just back mine off enough for ground clearance and then snug them to the floor when needed. It’s really not a lot of extra effort , but I do have the foot pedal variety on my bandsaw which I move quite often : ) I figured I would give mine a years use before I reviewed it.

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

View RibsBrisket4me's profile

RibsBrisket4me

Dusty, that jointer is SWEEEET!

-- http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Thank you Todd…I just rebuilt it over the Summer…been meaning to blog the rebuild , but can’t find the time just yet.

View dvo's profile

dvo

I have 8 of them. One is under my cabinet saw which I believe is way over 300 lbs and still rolls around fine on concrete. They are made for steel or wood. If you like them with wood runner then you will love them with steel square tubing (1.25”). Very solid and rigid for something costing around $26 (sale – 20% coupon) A little more work with steel but well worth it. I use 14 gauge tubing but 16 would be cheaper and should work fine(I can’t get 16 from my supplier). Go to a steel supplier and buy full 20’ stick of steel 1.25 tubing. If you are sourcing from the borg or similar places then it can get pretty expensive once the steel is included with the HF price.

kdc68

Dusty56 – Wow you brought that back from the dead ! Great restoration !!

kdc68

dvo – They are one of the best products from Harbor Freight IMO. Thanks for the tip on square tubing. I’d imagine that using steel tubing would eliminate the possibility of flexing that you may get with wood.

View slopjock78's profile

slopjock78

I also just purchased one of these for my “new” 2001 Delta band saw. I have not used it extensively so far, but in limited use it has performed exactly as I was hoping.

one of the good HF deals out there