Porter-Cable PCB660DP 15"Floor Drill Press with Laser Guide and Light

Review by kdc68 posted 593 days ago 7982 views 4 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable PCB660DP 15"Floor Drill Press with Laser Guide and Light Porter-Cable PCB660DP 15"Floor Drill Press with Laser Guide and Light No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this drill press for a year now and have no complaints at all. I have drilled through everything from 1/8” steel plate to 3” hardwood, and used drum sander attachments. Putting this together was easy, even by myself. The fit and finish was perfect. The lasers were dead on. There was zero play in the quil from the top of the 4” stroke to the bottom. The depth stop was dead on and easy to set. Changing speeds is easy and diagramed for my needs. My only complaint (very minor) is the machinist style top. My remedy was to make a 16” by 24” table top from two pieces of 3/4 melamine. Equiped the top with “t” tracks and replacement 1/4” hardboard inserts for through cuts and one each bored for my different sized drum sander attachments. I also added a fence with a stop for repetitive drilling and mortising. For mobility, I added a HF mobile base. I gave it a wide stance for stability when I need to move it. This a great drill press and is a great addition to my shop.

Pros
High quality, Durable, laser, Work light, 4” quil travel, 12 speed, 1 hp, 5/8 chuck

Cons
machinist top

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Very nice.
I was recently in the market for a new DP a conducted an exhaustive search and comparison of dozens of different models. My personal conclusion was that the Porter Cable was the best on the market- unless you looked at powermatic and other industrial models (which cost 3X more). I really admired the 4” quill stroke among the many other features the PC offered. I was days away from pulling the trigger on the PC when I lucked into a comparable, mint-condition Grizzly 7944 for $100. Honestly, the PC is a nicer machine over the Grizzly and is $150 less expensive when shipping is figured-in.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

Very nice made table top

I am curious how did you attach it the drill press?

1961 posts in 903 days

Steven H – The machinist top has “t” slots milled in the table. One slot on each corner on an angle forming an X at the center. The top I made is two pieces of 3/4 melamine. The first piece I laid out lines from each corner to form an X just like the machinist top. I measured out from the center of the X to an equal measurement on all four lines and drilled a counterbore deep enough to except a washer and a nut. Then proceeded to drill through holes the diameter of the hex bolts that fit the machinist top “t” slots. When done I placed 4 hex bolts into the “t” slots of the machinist top. I placed the melamine top onto the machinist top manuvering the hex bolts until they dropped into the holes. I fastened the bolts down with washers and nuts. The counterbores ensured that the nuts were below the surface. Because the melanine top is oversized I was able to fasten the second piece of melamine to the first along the perimeter from underneath. I don’t remember for sure the length of hex bolts I used , but seems like they were an inch long. The diameter is uncertain too, but the heads fit into the slots perfectly without much play.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

You did good.
The porter cable is arguably the best value on a floor standing press. The ridgid used to be a contender, but they jacked the price to $500; not even close to what it’s worth (I own the ridgid).

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

1961 posts in 903 days

NiteWalker – Thanks. I researched all makes and models. The price was right (on sale to boot) and it really performs well

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2059 days

I have this drill press and I agree with your evaluation. It is a very nice machine with a lousy table. I too fitted it with a new one.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

1961 posts in 903 days

ellen35 – The OEM top may be great for a machinist, but hey, we are woodworkers !

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

i also have this dp and love it! no complaints from me:)

View dnick's profile

dnick

Thank’s for your review. This goes on my wish list.

-- dnick, North Hollywood, Ca.

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

I too have this drill press. I agree with everything in your review, including the table. I checked quill runout with my “AlignIt” jig and there was .002” runout over the 4” stroke of the quill which I found acceptable.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View Ottacat's profile

Ottacat

I bought this drill press after this review brought it to my attention.

Very nice and full featured drill press for the money. I like the 4” stroke which has proved critical on a couple of recent projects over the 3 1/2” stroke on other ones I was looking at.

On the con side, I find the sliding nut thingy that sets the depth of the stroke to not be solid and that if one presses too hard it can slip. I also found he solid table doesn’t easily lend itself to attaching 3rd party table / fences. I bought one from LV and right now I’m clamping it on until I can build a DIY clamping system on the bottom. Given this a baked over Delta you’d think they could get some of these things right. I don’t know what percentage of drill presses are used by woodworkers and what percentage by metal workers but you would think that these could be better designed.

I truly wish SawStop would make a complete line of tools, they are about the only company I’ve seen that has actually decided that standard woodworking tools are for the most part extremely poorly designed and engineered (even without taking into account any safety systems).

Anyway, given it’s competition I’d still buy this DP again and recommend it to others.

View jimintx's profile

jimintx

Glad I found this review. I am thinking about what to do with my 25 yr old Craftsman. Maybe refurbish, maybe replace.

1961 posts in 903 days

jimintx….thanks for the comments….good luck with your drill press solution

View redSLED's profile

redSLED

On my wish list. I’d also make my own similar table. Thanks for the write up.

-- Perfection is the difference between too much and not enough.

1961 posts in 903 days

redSLED….I owned this a year before I wrote this review and still today after about two years of ownership I think this is a great drill press for the money