STEEL CITY DUST COLLECTOR Working great !!!

Review by gator9t9 posted 2310 days ago 5934 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
STEEL CITY DUST COLLECTOR Working great !!! STEEL CITY DUST COLLECTOR Working great !!! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Now mind you I have only had this machine for 1 month .and my shop is small, no planer to fill the bags ..but i love it so far …At 1.5 HP the power is terrific. The noise level rated in the book is 87db and actually it seems less when i run it …I did opt for the Shop Fox remote as it seems when ever I want to turn on my DC system I am on the other side of the room …so with 2 remotes …i attached to a stick and earth magnet on the back i can hang one from my bandsaw and another in my pocket and voila ..
I run this with a too long 16ft 4 in black hose with adapter to fit to machines ..of which i have none with 4 in dust ouputs .lol but i am getting little by little the adapters for STeel city and to my own Cannister shop Vac …

My only complaint so far is
I have noticed a bit of leakage from the bottom bag of the Steel City

All in all ….tho my review may be too soon to tell ….I love my STeel City Dust Collector ..
I will review again when i have to empty or change a bag …

and i know i have forgotten something but now i have to get ready for the WoodWorking Show …
Thanks all ..

-- Mike in Bonney Lake " If you are real real real good your whole life, You 'll be buried in a curly maple coffin when you die."

View gator9t9's profile

gator9t9

Thanks for the review. I am in the market for a dust collection system. This review has been helpful.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Great looking DC. I have found that with a bag you need to “beat” the bag with the system off. This will
get the dust off that has collected on the inside surface bag.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thanks for the review. I’ll be in the market for a dust collector when i start getting more big tools. this looks like a good one. thanks for the review.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19378 posts in 2477 days

Amazing, remotes for dust collectors but why not. Thanks for the post Gator

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

After using the bag filter system for years , I finally broke down and bought a JET with the pleated filter on top ! LOVE IT !!! It lasts so much longer between cleanings to maintain full suction power and minimal dust escaping through the filter itself like the bag types do… enjoy your woodworking experiences : )

ps. I am going to get a remote control for it as it is at the far end of my shop too …..one other thing…if you ever do get a planer / jointer , do yourself a favor and get one of those seperator / metal trashcan devices…they empty a lot easier than having to remove that bottom bag !!

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

looks great. I’m in the market for my fist dust collector because I am absolutly sick of all the dust in my shop. I will put in a duct system and then run it to all my machines. I will have to make a cabinet for my tablesaw much like a cabinet saw. It will have a hood underneith and shelves behind a door to give me some storage. I am looking at the delta 50-760 because of the award it got in wood magazine and all the great things I have heard about it. Yours looks really nice as well.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View jasonscreations's profile

jasonscreations

I recently bought my first big dust system as well. I know Harbor Freight is not at the top of the woodworking food chain, but a 2 hp, 2 bag vertical system (that looks like everyone elses’ just a different color) for only $160, can’t be beat. I love it. I bought a metal trash can and a seperator system from rockler to round out the system, and it works great. Especially with my new planer.