DeWalt finally hears a who...torx conversion

Review by joeyinsouthaustin posted 01-05-2013 11:21 PM 1902 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt finally hears a who...torx conversion No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The DeWalt 735 regularly gets positive reviews… This is sort of an addendum. I have championed this tool often, and Those who have kept up know I have a bias towards it. x y I run three of them now, and years of experience with the ins and outs of this loud but compact beast. The one knock this tool gets is the many complaints about the bolts stripping. While I have never done this, I will admit to feeling many times that it was _about to happen. And size of the factory key didn’t inspire any extra confidence.

This is really a review of the new wrench.
Well low and behold…. this new one I purchased came with all Torx style connectors, and a beefy wrench to boot. They maintained all the other great features, rare earth magnets in the handle, great pocket to hold it, and best off all, they changed all the bolts, not just the one’s holding the blades. I loved how you can tear this machine down to it’s bones with just that factory wrench, and that could have easily been overlooked at this upgrade. I went to the blades first thing. A lot of complaints point out that these seem to be quite tight coming out of the factory…and they were. However, I didn’t feel at all like i needed to hold my breath, as I twisted them suckers right out.

Many people have already made this change themselves…it was nice to see that someone, somewhere, at one of the big boys, finally did something with all that feedback….and to one of there better tools.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 01-06-2013 12:20 AM

Kudos!
I was originally set on the 734 but might get a deal on the 735. What’s the date code so we know what to look for when buying new?

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#2 posted 01-06-2013 01:32 AM

Can these be retrofitted?

-- Life is good.

View SCABrown's profile

SCABrown

#3 posted 01-06-2013 01:50 AM

I just looked on Dewalt’s Service net and they do offer a retro fit kit with the new screws and a wrench, it $18.78. http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/Detail/DW735X
Its about time. Thanks for the heads up on the change to Torx screws.

-- Aaron

#4 posted 01-06-2013 01:57 AM

Thanx SCABrown for the groundwork. My local Cert. DeWalt repair guy is getting back to me on the actual date code this change happened… So those who want can know for sure.. I will post the date of mine when I am back to the shop to check. There was no particular indication on the packaging. I didn’t find out till I opened it and set it up.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

#5 posted 01-06-2013 02:49 AM

torque them to about 90 KGF you will be fine with oil

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View Howie's profile

Howie

#6 posted 01-06-2013 12:58 PM

@Aaron, thanks for the info. Looks like a necessary upgrade although I haven’t had any problems.

-- Life is good.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#7 posted 01-06-2013 11:14 PM

I wonder if that $18 retrofit kit is ALL the screws (like for a complete tear-down)? or just the top cover and the blade screws?

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Scomel Basses's profile

Scomel Basses

#8 posted 01-07-2013 03:40 AM

I bought the Dewalt 735X in late November early December and have the new torx wrench and screws. I didn’t know mine was any different until I saw this thread. This was a nice surprise. I got it from Amazon for $479 shipped which is one of the better deals I’ve seen on this planer in a long time. The planer is awesome by the way.

View jasondain's profile

jasondain

#9 posted 01-07-2013 07:17 PM

I ordered the retro fit before xmas as I had a few stripped bolts and nicked blades to deal with. Retrofit just has the blade bolts, not the top so I have to keep the 2 wrenches :-(

I ordered and received the kit and made the conversion. It is certainly very nice to have the torx bolts instead of the allen bolts. Too bad the conversion kit doesn’t have the top bolts.

#10 posted 01-09-2013 10:53 PM

FOLLOW UP: I could not get a strong answer from my factory repair rep on when the conversion happened.. but we know at least lat nov. early dec. The bolts outside the retro kit can be ordered from the factory service center for about $.75 each, but you have to get into the drawing and get the part numbers together. For the most part they are all T-30 M6 1.32 screws, so you could get a bunch after market somewhere.

View paulkray's profile

paulkray

#11 posted 02-16-2013 06:39 PM

I bought my 735 a few years ago in refurbished condition.
The first time i went to change the blades the bolts were already frozen and I ended up stripping out most of them.
Maybe I got lucky but when I called Dewalt the service rep was already familiar with the problem of the the allen heads stripping out easily and sent me a set of the torx replacements for free.
I have had no issues with the torx replacements.