Shapton GlassStones Are All You Need

Review by BigDawg posted 602 days ago 2150 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shapton GlassStones Are All You Need Shapton GlassStones Are All You Need No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I owned a series of Norton waterstones previously, and while they worked well, they didn’t perform as well as I would’ve liked. Plus you have to make sure they get a good soaking well before your sharpening session, which creates a wet mess.

I took Bob Van Dyke’s sharpening class at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking in November. I had looked at the Shapton stones many times before, but I have always hesitated due to the high price tag. After the class I bought a set of 1000 and 8000 grit ceramic stones as a bundle so that they were cheaper than buying them separately.

After a quick lapping to make sure they were perfectly flat, I got to work honing my Irwin-Marples chisels. The 1000 grit was great since it removed a good amount of metal pretty quickly while still leaving a decent shine. Then I proceeded to use the 8000 and got a perfect mirror. I’ve never been able to achieve that before and it only took a matter of minutes!! I used my Eclipse-style honing jig and polished up the bevel to the same mirror shine. I could shave off the hairs off my arm like I was using a shaver! And the chisel pared through end grain like butter.

And that brings me to another great feature of the stones; you just spray them with some water and off you go without any presoaking.

Bottom line; don’t be too put off by the price tag if you can afford it. I recommend just getting the 1000 and 8000 grits since I don’t think you need anything more or less than that. I don’t think you could get a better shine than what these waterstones give you. All you need are these two stones for all your honing needs. They will last forever in my shop.

BigDawg

I bought a 8000 just before Christ-mas, I love it.
I also bought a coarse and a fine diamond stone.
Together they do a fast and fantastic job.

View CessnaPilotBarry's profile

CessnaPilotBarry

+1!

I’ve used these, but don’t own any. They’re outstanding products.

-- It's all good, if it's wood...

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

I have the same exact stones and course 4×10 diamond plate to keep them flat. Perfect combo.

View ichbinpete's profile

ichbinpete

was watching woodwhisperer and marc suggested the 1000 and 5000 as stones you should have. any reason to go with 8000 over 5000?

-- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

BigDawg

When I took the class with Bob Van Dyke, this is what he suggested when it came to the Shapton GlassStones. Marc Spagnuolo uses the traditional Shapton stones in his setup. Van Dyke’s system is basically the same one that Lie-Nielsen demonstrates on YouTube and in several articles in Fine Woodworking. The 1000 and 8000 combo are for the final honing. If the primary bevel needs to be “re-ground” I do that on 120,180,220 sandpaper on a granite surface plate before the final hone on the Shapton stones.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

I like the Shapton stones a lot. I recently bought the 15k Shapton Pro stone and it’s awesome. For plane irons, I notice a large difference using this over my previously-finest 8k stone. For chisels, not so much… the 8k does a fine job there. It’s tempting to get the 30k stone, but at many hundreds of dollars it will have to wait a while.

-- Allen, Colorado

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

I have the Shapton ceramics and sounds like they work just as well as the glass stones.

View mbs's profile

mbs

where is the best place to get them?

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

BigDawg

I purchased mine from Woodcraft. Prices seem to be the same from every vendor I researched.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

i tested these stones they came in like third place because they dish to fast they are overpriced and they are thin plus you have to buy or make a stand these stones came in third behind the Naniwa superstone and the winner was the naniwa Chosera stone the best stones made today by far. FWIW I am selling off three of these stones in the want ads area as a set i was going to keep them but the chosera stones wear so slow and cut so fast that i wont need new ones for a long time

-- when I am not on Lumberjocks I am on @ http://thisoldworkshop.com where we allow free speech

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

Well thank you very much Mr. Run on sentence.
Maybe we should have a special section, we could call it ask “thedude50” section. This way we would never have to wonder what tool or technique is best, we can all just “askthedude”
Think of all the time and money we’ll save not purchasing the wrong items or tools (with the money we save we could chip in and buy him a punctuation mark or a contraction)....

I agree that the dude is a pain, that we want his opinion or not we get it every time.
For sure I shall never buy anything from him.
I hate people who think that they always have to give their opinion and who believe that they know it all.

View thedude50's profile

thedude50

so you hate your self bert you think you know everything and you have no experience at all.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

wow, lots of “Dude hating” there. Don’t like it? Don’t read it. Bert, you’re always so desperate for responses in all your forum threads, I figured you’d appreciate any response you can get.

Thanks for the review BigDawg. I’ve been thinking about picking one of these up. I started using a King waterstone (6k) that I picked up a few months ago, and I like the process of finishing with the waterstone. Now I’ve been thinking about upgrading the product I use, and this is at the top of my list.

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN -- Stanley #45 Evangelist - www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

Please be respectful, everyone, and stay on the topic of woodworking.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)