The Best Plane Ever Made?

Review by BigDawg posted 01-04-2013 11:23 AM 2922 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Best Plane Ever Made? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this plane in October 2012. Since then I’ve used the plane on several projects to put it through its paces. My thoughts toward this plane are simple; it’s a great plane right out of the box.
I have sharpened the iron twice. The back of the iron was perfectly flat right from the get-go. All I had to do was hone the secondary bevel. My expectation of needing to flatten the iron was unfounded. The thick blade makes sharpening a breeze. I prefer to use an Eclipse-style honing guide and Shapton GlassStones for honing.
I decided to buy this plane new after losing several bids on eBay. The prices for used Lie-Nielsen stuff goes so close to new cost its phenomenal. This was also a factor in my decision to buy the plane new. I know if I decided to sell it for any reason, I’d get most of my money back. Now that I’ve used it, the thought of ever selling it has disappeared.
This is my first brand new plane. I’ve typically been a buy and restore vintage plane person, but the vintage Stanley #62 has a bad habit of breaking out at the mouth. I have been looking at the Lie-Nielsen planes for a long time. I had been lusting after having a premium plane that was made in America.
I really like the knob and tote on this plane. The satin soft finish of the American cherry is really gorgeous.
I’ve used this plane on three projects so far. These projects were all hard maple with lots of figure and gnarly grain. I had problems with tear out using my typical bench planes and had to do a lot of work with scrapers. I received the #62 right in the middle of the first project, and it performed very well. It didn’t totally eliminate the tear out in some spots, but it cut down the work with the scraper by a wide margin. I could not be happier with the performance of this plane.
The cost of this plane was a quit a bit for me to spend on a tool that I use primarily for a hobby, but it has more than proven it’s worth. I’ve always tried to buy quality tools, and this certainly fits that description. If you are serious about wood working, I highly recommend you buy one.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#1 posted 01-04-2013 12:28 PM

You did good. :)
I’m a veritas man myself, but I have a soft spot for the cherry knob and tote.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View RichTes's profile

RichTes

#2 posted 01-04-2013 02:43 PM

Did you use the plane like a jack for bulk stock removal or more for smoothing? Did you ease the corners of the blade at all?

Rich

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#3 posted 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

Although I’ve been making “stuff” most of my life, I didn’t start a serious, hobby-level workshop until about 4 yrs ago. I have two bench planes and three block planes. My #5 and #4 are old Stanleys and my blocks are newer Stanleys and a Record. I bought these planes, for peanuts, figuring they’d be good ‘nuff until I when/if I decided I needed something nicer. And they have worked fine.
However, I have reached a point where I’m considering an upgrade to an LN plane. I have all the machines I need (or at least can fit in my shop-LOL). So I have my eye on the LN #62 as well. It’ll be tough dropping $250 on a single plane. Especially since I only have $225 sunk into my table saw. LOL. But I’m confident that it’ll be the last jack plane I’ll ever buy, and I’ll consider it a prized-possesion for life.
Thanks for the review and additional encouragement to buy a really expensive tool. :)

View Arminius's profile

Arminius

#4 posted 01-04-2013 03:14 PM

I actually prefer the Veritas model for functionality, but the 62 is a gorgeous plane as well as being a great tool. You can an awful lot of capability for a small investment by picking up a couple of extra blades for different angles. There was a really good article in FWW perhaps 2 years ago about how you could basically do everything with a LAJ.

View BigDawg's profile

BigDawg

#5 posted 01-04-2013 03:18 PM

RichTes,

I currently have three irons. The first (which came with the plane is sharpened at 25 degrees. The second is sharpened at 33 degrees for smoothing work. The third is sharpened at 43 degrees for very wild grained wood or wood that tears out badly. Eventually, I will get the toothed blade for heavy stock removal. I mainly use it to level out end-grain cutting boards. I have a Stanley #4 Type 11 smoothing plane for ordinary smoothing work.

-- Shawn DuGay, Wallingford, CT http://www.bigdogwoodworks.com

View TDog's profile

TDog

#6 posted 01-06-2013 06:18 AM

Glad I saw your review of this plane. I have been considering buying it for about a year now but could not
due to the price and wondering of satisfaction.

I believe it does what LN says it does after hearing if from a hobby woodworker like myself.

-- "So many projects...so little time..." Psalm 23

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#7 posted 01-06-2013 08:35 AM

You are giving me an itchy trigger finger ;-)

View mbs's profile

mbs

#8 posted 01-06-2013 07:59 PM

BigDawg. I’m going to agree with you. I love this plane. I have approximately 15 planes and LN 62 is my go-to plane. I use it much more often than the LN #5 and they’re not that much different in size.

I like Veritas too. I have their #4 (or 4-1/2 – cant remember for sure). I like the LN #62 more. I’m about to pull the trigger on the Veritas jointer plane. I’m not a brand snob – I just like what works best for me.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View OSU55's profile

OSU55

#9 posted 09-12-2014 01:41 AM

I bought the LV LAJ due to a bit more functionality and lower cost. but the LN version is prettier to look at. Try your steeper angled blades for smoothing duties. I think you may put your #4 on the shelf.