TS-Aligner: Decent Product as long as you do not have to deal with Ed.

Review by bpatters69 posted 01-04-2013 09:53 AM 3114 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
TS-Aligner: Decent Product as long as you do not have to deal with Ed. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For those who are not familiar with the product, here is a link:

TS-Aligner

So here goes my review and final conclusion on Ed Bennett’s TS-Aligner. The product itself works fairly well but I cannot speak for the integrity of Ed as a business person. I have been trying to contact Ed for the past 2 months to confirm that he received my TS-Aligner as I had sent it back to him for re-calibration. I had exchanged emails with Ed and he had given me permission to send him the TS-Aligner and to include a check for $10 and he would re-calibrate the unit.

I have still not heard back from Ed. The only positive is that he has not cashed the check as far as I know.

Perhaps I should have known better but I did not see this until I had corresponded with him and gained his permission to send the items back for calibration.

Quote:
”The waiting list for TS-Aligner products is very long. Please don’t ask me how long – answering such questions is a waste of time and makes the wait longer for everyone. I have provided a description of the process below. Each step involves elements that can cause indefinite delays beyond my ability to predict or control. People who have more resources (facilities, labor, funding, inventory, etc.) can easily produce delivery estimates. I can not so please don’t ask me to. Call me to find out where I am in the process. Call me with questions about woodworking or machinery. Call me about the weather. Call me to make sure that I didn’t die or flee to Canada (living the good life on TS-Aligner money in Saskatchewan!). But, don’t call me asking for an estimate on delivery. If you pester me about it, I’m likely to get annoyed with you and give the most definite answer I can: “never”. ”

Not very professional. “Never”?....

In my last correspondence which was this morning, I asked him to either return my items with or without calibration or to allow me to return the entire unit. Per his website:

Quote:

”It’s always good business to have happy customers. Happy customers generate more business than all the advertising in the world. I only want happy customers. If you don’t find one of my products useful or valuable, then the worst possible thing I could do is make you keep it. I don’t want unhappy customers. If one of my products makes you unhappy, then I don’t want you to end up getting stuck with it. That places a great responsibility on me to ensure that my customers choose my products because they are the best possible choice. So, I must do my best to provide all the information needed to make the right purchase decision. That’s why my web site is packed full of detailed documentation. Since the TS-Aligner introduction in 1991, only five customers have asked for (and received) a full refund.
Some might think this makes me an easy mark. I say that they should think again. I’ve noticed that some people like to “manufacture” issues of dissatisfaction so that they can obtain “freebies”, or “consolations” for their “inconvenience”. If I do something wrong that causes you trouble, I’ll do whatever I can to make it right. If there is something I can do to optimize my product in your application then I’ll do whatever I can to make it happen. But, I won’t be the victim of what I call “retail terrorism”. I won’t pay a ransom (freebie) to save the hostage (the sale of my product). I’ll sacrifice the hostage (buy back the product) and eliminate the unhappy customer. ”

I guess these are just words to Ed.

Thanks for listening and buyer beware but I would stay away from the TS Aligner and not make the same mistake that I did. Besides there are a lot of great competing products and they are delivered in a timely manner with much less attitude. There are also a lot of shop built solutions that are cheap and just as good.

View freidasdad's profile

freidasdad

#1 posted 01-04-2013 01:15 PM

WOW! good luck and thanks for the heads up . I recently purchased a Sawstop and am now in the market for
this type of accessory.
I hope you get your money back soon. I’m afraid Ed isn’t the type to stay in business very long.

-- My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am---author unknown

View IrreverentJack's profile

IrreverentJack

#2 posted 01-04-2013 02:14 PM

sent it back to him for re-calibration

Why did you think it needed recalibration? I can’t imagine any explanation for Ed’s strange business behavior. He does, however, let you know what to expect (or not expect) from him on his site. I don’t think a lack of integrity is his problem. I’m pretty sure you will get your tool or your money – just don’t hold your breath. -Jack

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#3 posted 01-04-2013 02:30 PM

I agree, not a lack of integrety, he’s just a d-bag.

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

#4 posted 01-04-2013 02:45 PM

This is review is enough to keep me away from one. Im more than willing to buy a product that may take a little work to get right as long as the customer service is great. If I know that dealing with the company will be a hassle, I tend to just stay away no matter the product.

View elingeniero's profile

elingeniero

#5 posted 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

I bought the iGaging product. Pretty happy with it, although it’s not as cool looking as the TS-Aligner.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#6 posted 01-04-2013 03:16 PM

Ed needs to hire someone (anyone) to manage his email traffic. A prick like that should not deal with the general public. Perhaps he’s one of those social morons that doesn’t realize that his written policies, while honest, make him sound like a jerk.

View lj61673's profile

lj61673

#7 posted 01-04-2013 03:40 PM

Here is the solution:

Real company. Real customer service. Great product. No douchebags.

View taoist's profile

taoist

#8 posted 01-04-2013 04:07 PM

I tried to order from Ed but after about a month of silence I found his product in another place:

View rlamb007's profile

rlamb007

#9 posted 01-04-2013 04:35 PM

Thanks for the Heads Up. This sounds like a company to avoid.

View dpoisson's profile

dpoisson

#10 posted 01-04-2013 07:32 PM

I’m sorry to be the one to come out and say it: But this is not a review of the product.

Did the product work? Any shortcomings? What are it’s strong points and things that could be better?

I’m not saying the customer service behind the product isn’t worth mentioning (especially with the examples given above), but it sounds more like you got frustrated with Ed’s bad CS and decided to rant about it in the review section.

“The product itself works well” is not a review.

Peace.

-- http://picasaweb.google.ca/dpoisson

#11 posted 01-04-2013 07:49 PM

“The product itself works well” is not a review.”

dpoisson,

Fair enough. It is not a complete reivew but customer service is one component that makes up a product or service. So here is my reivew. The fact that I have gone to so much effort to get the unit back should tell you that I value the product. I bought it several years ago and for $150, the value to benefit is about even. I do not regret buying the product. I do regret trying to deal with Ed as a business person.

I have used the product for checking things like checking my blade and fence against my miter gauge. I have used it to check the runout on my drill press. To that end the product works. The three bearing adjustment system which allows the unit to move back and forth in the miter gauge works well. I have used the gauge for set ups such as various beveled cuts and it worked fine for that.

Can I recommend this product? No. Why? As lj1673 and taoist have stated, there are other products which perfom better. The term “product” entails the actual physical product and service. So the product works but the service fails miserably. Why would you want to put up with someone who will not even return your calls, emails or faxes?

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#12 posted 01-04-2013 08:44 PM

I know a guy like this who makes guitars, and he struggles constantly also. Some people were just not cut out to deal with the retail public. Even I have been an ass to people on things I bought, and later had to admit that they were nice and tolerated me, so now that I deal with the retail public, I try to keep my mouth shut and give the customer what they want. Ed must have missed that class. Too bad, because it seems like he has a product that is right in the mix, and could sell a lot of them if he knew how to market and talk to customers.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View mrg's profile

mrg

#13 posted 01-04-2013 09:35 PM

The Peachtree TS Aligner Jr is made by InLine Industries in Massachusetts who also makes the Dubby. The one in the review is made by EJ Bennet in CA two different products and companies. They both do the same thing.

Look up both products and you will see that they are different.

You stated that you bought the product several years ago. A dial indicator you spin the face to zero it. What needs to be calibrated?

-- mrg

View jim C's profile

jim C

#14 posted 01-05-2013 01:42 AM

I have to agree with mrg…..what has to be calibrated??
It’s a dial indicator running in a slot to check parallelism at the blade.
I can accomplish the same thing with a $20.00 indicator base and a $25.00 dial indicator from harbor freight. I could even make one out of wood with a couple of dowels running in the miter slot.
And people fall for the red anodizing on aluminum with shiny pins to shell out inordinate bucks for a useless, unneeded tool.
Ed is a jerk and won’t be around long, but by having asked the question in the forum of “how to indicate a blade parallel to a miter slot” would have saved you money and having to deal with Ed as well.
Many here could have guided you to a simple solution.

#15 posted 01-05-2013 02:06 AM

I understand that there are some very good and far less costly solutions out there. I bought this jig several years ago and I was not as knowledgeable nor did I have the same skill that I have today. Not that I am anything special but I have moved from a beginner to an intermediate woodworker. Anyway, not to bore you with my background, I just wanted to explain why I bought the jig. Shiny anodized aluminum aside, i thought the jig would make up for my lack of skill which is a common mistake for beginners.

There is a set screw on the cross bar that keeps the indicator in alignment. For whatever reason, I tried to adjust at some point. I am not sure why I did it. Anyway, that is what needed to be calibrated. I was communicating with Ed at the time and he seemed friendly enough so for $10, I said what the heck, let him set it back to the factory setting.