Rigid 4510, a Beginner's Perspective

Review by bbasiaga posted 01-03-2013 04:58 AM 4193 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rigid 4510, a Beginner's Perspective No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been lucky enough to be collecting some tools to help me expand my project capabilities from rough carpentry to some finer work. I recently got a planer, and today added a table saw. Previously I had made very good, and I’d like to think creative, use of a straight cut guide for my circular saw and a compound miter saw. After having worn out my CMS, I was preparing to purchase another, and decided to instead give it a little TLC and buy a table saw.

I read many reviews and decided that the Rigid 4510 was the one for me. I have a small area to work in and needed the portability of it. A floor standing model just isn’t in the cards for me at this point. So understanding there would be some limitations, I got what seemed to be one of the better options on the market.

I spent today setting up the saw and wanted to give my impressions. They’ll go pretty much in the order I remember them, which is close to the order in which I experienced them.

1. Pro = the saw feels very solid. I noticed this right out of the box. The table is thick and feels solid, and is nice and flat. My only experience with table saws prior this was with a couple of friends’ saws that were in the $200-300 dollar range. This one felt much sturdier and had a bigger and nicer table.
3. Pro – once assembled the stand is very solid, and it is easy to fold up and put away.
4. Pro – the saw has little places to store the anti-kickback pawls, the guard, push stick (included with the kit), miter gauge, and even the fence. There is nothing to keep track of. It all fits in its place when the saw is put away. This is awesome.
5. Pro – The instructions for squaring the blade, setting the correct angle and stops, and squaring the fence were much better than those for putting together the cart. The blade stop for 90degrees was set properly from the factory, but the gauge needed to be calibrated. The blade was square front to back. The insert was properly leveled. I did have to square the fence, and so far it seems to be holding very well.
6. Pro – The bed extension is handy and smooth.
7. Neutral – I read much about these saws being loud, mostly in comparison to stand alone table saws. I don’t have a basis for comparison but it was not overly loud with hearing protection in, the wife did not complain inside the house (i work in the attached garage), and it did not wake my sleeping daughter. Good enough for me, I guess.
8. Neutral (undecided). I was cutting some 1/2” plywood for my first cuts (see below) and I felt like I had to raise the blade excessively high in order for the anti-kickback pawls to allow the sheet to pass under them. I didn’t measure, but it seemed the blade was at least half way up if not higher. Maybe its my lack of experience, but it didn’t seem best to have the blade so high. I removed them for this cut.
9. Pro + Con – (and this one is out of order b/c the last one just made me remember it, I did have the guard in place before running the saw the first time). The pawls are easy to attach. They have a little push button and a lever and lock in place easily. The guard, not as much. It also is lever operated – raise the lever, insert the guard in to a slot on the riving knife, and then lock it down. Seems like it takes me three tries each time to get that darn thing to actually attach. Maybe I just need practice….

I made a few cuts for a project I’m working on. It was easy and smooth. The very best part was that the cuts were repeatable, and I didn’t have to move and re-clamp my straight edge each time! Makes me wish I had one of these a long time ago.

Over the next few months I intend to make a couple of sleds and jigs for mine. I am hoping to make a set of end tables out of hardwood and will benefit from a cross cut sled and a tapered leg sled for this project. Hopefully I’ll be able to come back and add a second part to this review after I have some more experience.

Overall first impressions – very good tool. Its pricey, but it seems solid and capable. I would say if you are like me and considering a table saw but don’t have the space for a floor standing model, look hard at the Rigid 4510. Compared to what I have seen for portable saws in the past, this one feels much more like a ‘real’ tool. We shall see how it performs over the next month or two.

Thanks,
Brian

-- Part of engineering is to know when to put your calculator down and pick up your tools.

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

View Craftsman70's profile

Craftsman70

#1 posted 01-03-2013 05:32 AM

Congrats on you new saw. I heavily compared that one with the Dewalt 744 and Bosch over the summer and like that tool a lot. I’d say the only con I saw was the tape-measure. That aside, I think that saw is a better value than the Dewalt or Bosch. In the end I bought a used contractor saw from CL and am questioning that decision this winter as I try to cram my tools in to the garage tight enough to get our cars in. As it stands, my contractor saw is buried until spring. If I’d gotten something more portable like you bought, I’d still be able to drag it out and use it during the weekends.

View woodshaver's profile

woodshaver

2817 posts in 2078 days

#2 posted 01-03-2013 06:16 AM

Great review Brian,
I have the older copy of this same saw. It does the job ok. I like it. I once had an old cast iron Craftsman belt drive table saw. I had to sell it during a move. I ended up with a 2 car garage for a work shop so I chose this saw for the same reason you did “space”. It will do all I need it to do for now. But a belt drive is so much smoother and more solid and runs with much less noise. I have everything on wheels in my shop so if I have to get my truck in there I can shift everything to one side.
Hope your new saw works well for many years to come!

Tony

-- Tony C St Augustine FL, My high school shop teacher said "You can do it"... Now I can't stop!

View TonyInGuam's profile

TonyInGuam

#3 posted 01-03-2013 10:07 AM

Brian, I have the same saw and I think it’s great for the price. If you look in the manual you’ll find that the riving knife has two settings. One is for the guards and such, this setting is much higher. The other setting is much lower and would require you to raise the blade up very high for the kickback paws to clear the material,which is probably where yours is set. Enjoy the saw, Tony

-- Tony

View jap's profile

jap

#4 posted 01-03-2013 02:27 PM

“2. Con – the instructions for assembling the folding cart SUCK. Big time. There is some small text, and one small exploded parts diagram, and even a guy like me with an engineering degree couldn’t decode it. So I had to fall back and look at the picture on the box while gleaning what details I could from the instructions. ”
that’s interesting…cause i believe my R4510 came fully assembled.

-- Joel

View SamScavo's profile

SamScavo

#5 posted 01-03-2013 08:00 PM

Glad to hear you are having good a experience with the Ridgid…I just bought the comparable model from Porter-Cable I have only used it once and like it a lot. Their assembly instructions suck too.

View Larry's profile

Larry

#6 posted 01-04-2013 12:29 AM

I had one that I bought reconditioned and it was a real workhorse, it is one of the few portables that will take a regular dado blade set up. Sadly mine bit the dust a couple of years ago when I turned it on the commutator on the motor blew apart cracking the motor case and spitting out parts, looked for a replacement motor and they wanted as much for the motor as I had paid for the saw to begin with. All said though it paid for itself several times over. Good luck with yours.

View Willeh's profile

Willeh

#7 posted 01-04-2013 12:48 AM

I have the same saw and after over a year of heavy use, am very happy with it. Even the factory blade is decent. Mine came fully assembled tho..

-- Will, Ontario Canada. "I can do fast, cheap and good, but you can only pick two... "

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

#8 posted 01-04-2013 05:16 AM

Universal motors are used on most bench top saws and miter saws. As a rule, they are much louder than induction motors. I just bought a 1960 vintage Delta radial arm saw (almost said “radio alarm saw,” which I saw in a CL posting one time). It’s the one with the swiveling turret for doing miters, which I always thought was an intriguing design. When I run it, I can hear nothing but the soft whistling of the blade, it’s that smooth. I suspect the bearings are plain or sleeve bearings. Ball or needle bearings are of course much better, but they do rumble, even more so if they’re getting a bit worn.
Anyhow, not trying to hijack your post. Congratulations on the new saw. I’ve never used the Ridgid, but I’ve had a Ryobi and a Craftsman. The Ryobi actually was a pretty good saw; the C’man a piece of junk. Both had universal motors.
What planer did you get?

View bbasiaga's profile

bbasiaga

#9 posted 01-04-2013 04:27 PM

I got the Dewalt 735 planer.

I’m jealous of those of you who got your saw completely assembled. Would have been another half our of cutting I could have done if mine came that way!!

-Brian

View otindashop's profile

otindashop

#10 posted 01-05-2013 09:20 PM

Brian:

I just got this saw a few months ago and…I totally agree with you on the “instructions” for the folding cart. Whereas the cart is a clever and sturdy design, it is a rascal of a shin bumper to assemble.

The saw is what it is all about and I love ours as it folds up nicely and stores everything perfectly on board it.

A good blade makes all the difference in any saw, so I got a couple of Freud’s to boot.

Have fun with yours. I really like ours. It is a great value for the money.

Burt

-- Read and Write, thank a teacher...Speak English, thank a Veteran.