Shop Fox W1706 Review - Satisfied Customer

Review by DamnYankee posted 568 days ago 3079 views 0 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Shop Fox W1706 Review - Satisfied Customer Shop Fox W1706 Review - Satisfied Customer Shop Fox W1706 Review - Satisfied Customer Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently purchased the Shop Fox W1706. I was driven to purchase this bandsaw for a combination of reasons – price ($580), reviews found on-line and by personal contacts (almost no negative ones found), features.

The saw came with a quick tension release, fence and miter. I purchased the riser kit as well.

As I just recently pruchased it and have not used it very much this review will focus on set up and initial impressions.

The set up was EXTREMELY easy as it was nearly fully assembled. I had to attach the saw the to base, attach the table to the saw and install the blade, and that was about it. The blade tracked “out of the box”. Initial test cut (pine) produced a consistent ~1/16” resaw. All before final tuning.

Adding the riser block, the instructions left a two details out. 1, it tells you specifically not to remove the blade guard (left side – guard that runs from top to bottom wheel) until step 13. You need to take it off long before then. 2, the instructions do not tell you to face the “UP” label on the riser towards the back of the saw. I initially had if facing the front and the wheels were barely out of coplanar. Once I switched the block around they lined up perfectly.

Overall the only long term issue I forsee is that the roller guide adjustments for the bottom guides are a bit difficult to manipulate as they are behind the table trunion adjustments. For those of you with big fat fingers this will be very difficult.

Features included: Quick tension release, fence, miter, closed cabinet, sealed roller guides, 4” dust collection connection, lock-out lock

DamnYankee

View DIYaholic's profile (online now)

DIYaholic

You can tell it’s a virgin saw (new), It’s dressed in all white!!!

Congrats, on your new saw!
I’m sure you are going to luv putting this saw through it’s paces.
I’m courious, what is the resaw capacity?

We need to see some resawing, some curves etc…...
Now then, how many bandsaw boxes have you made, or are slated to be made???

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Thats a nice looking machine. The cast iron wheels are a very attractive feature. Many 14” machines come with aluminum wheels.

111999 posts in 2175 days

Thanks for the review,cool looking saw.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

365 posts in 2029 days

Looks identical to the GS555 which I like. Resaw to 12” on the GS. I also didn’t have very many memorable issues with putting mine together. When buying one of these, it would be a outright shame not to install the riser block at the same time. I find I use it for a lot of log sawing for turning blocks, and you can’t do that without the riser.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View Dave's profile

Dave

Great review and I am glad you are happy. If there is one power tool I use it is a band saw.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View JL7's profile

JL7

Good for you Rob…...looks like a dandy. Enjoy.

-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.

View kdc68's profile

kdc68

1940 posts in 874 days

If I’m not mistaken here but I think the Shop Fox (similar to the Grizzly) is an upgrade compared to the G0555 and G0555p. I own a G0555p and it performs great as should your new Shop Fox. Congrats to you !

-- Measure "at least" twice and cut once

View bullhead1's profile

bullhead1

I have the same saw and have had no issues with it. I’ve done both resawing and cutting out curved items. I wish I would have got the riser block right away. I’ve only have three blades so I’m waiting until those need replacing then I’ll probably get it. Thanks for the heads up on the install of the riser block. After you change blades a few times I got used to adjusting the bottem guides. Happy sawing!

View eddie's profile

eddie

nice band saw choice DY , give me the fever to replace my ole ridgid ,looks like a workhorse

-- Jesus Is Alright with me

View Roger's profile

Looks like you got a gr8 deal. A bit o tweekin, and she’ll be fine, and you’ll be very happy.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

DamnYankee

In discussion with the very helpful staff at Leveane Equipment Supply here in Charlotte, NC, the Shop Fox and Grizzly, while two different companies, are owned by the same people.

According to them the Grizzly line is targeted towards “residential” use and the Shop Fox “industrial” use (light use verses heavy use).

The parts are nearly interchangable though the Shop Fox suppossedly is a bit more robust with better fit and finish. As I don’t have the two side by side I can only go by what i was told and can see in on-line pictures.

Additionally, I like that Shop Fox is sold through a local dealer verses mail order.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

That’s a nice looking bandsaw .Congratulations! How’s the performance of it?

DamnYankee

So far I’m very pleased with the performance.

View woodshaver's profile

woodshaver

2734 posts in 1950 days

Amazon.com gives you a magnifier to view the saw. From what I see it’s really close to my G0555P.
My Grizzly is a 2 speed but it don’t have cast iron tracking wheels, and your base is closed where the Grizzly is open. The Fox or the Grizzly are very good choices! Two things I would like to see on the Grizzly is a light and wheel brushes. I had to add those to my saw.
All in all I really like my saw and I’m sure you will get many years of enjoyment from your new Shop Fox
Congrats!
Tony

-- Tony C , My high school shop teacher said "You can do it"... Now I can't stop!

DamnYankee

Tony, this BS is also two speed.