Too easy NOT to use

Review by Marcus posted 557 days ago 1838 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Too easy NOT to use No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m assuming like a lot of other LJ’ers out there, I tend not to use feather boards because they always seem like a hassle to get placed. When I am going to make a cut that would really benefit or I see a safety issue with, I would use them, but generally speaking, they sat dormant. I have seen these magnetic feather boards for a couple years and thought they were a bit of a gimmick, so disregarded them. Over the years though, good reviews keep piling up so with the 20% coupon I just got in the mail, I headed down to Rockler to pick one up.

I got home and like any kid w/ a new toy, I ripped the packaging off and went down to the basement to play. I was beyond impressed at the holding power of this little feather board. Yes, you can move it if you REALLY try, but for most wood cuts I do on the table saw, it has more than enough holding power. The real test I gave it was cutting an inch off of a 30”x62” solid hardwood desktop I was working on this. This is a big and unwieldy chunk of wood and because of the size and shape, its not hard to put a lot of pressure on the feather board with just a simple push of the corner. The Magswitch didn’t move, and I was sold.

I’ve used the board since on nearly every cut, and like it just as much as day one. Moving it or making an adjustment takes just a few seconds, so I have no reason not to use it. Storage for the thing is great, since I can just slap it on the edge of the saw. The only drawback I’ve found to the feather board is the price. Even with 20% off, this feather board was still $50. In my opinion, thats a pretty hefty price for a feather board. I am not sure what the mark up on them is, so it may be a reasonable price, I dont know.

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

Home Depot sells a similar product for about $30. it is called a RIDGID MagSwitch Plastic Featherboard on their site.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

I have the fence one
I love it. The fen e version works great on the bandsaw since you are cutting from the other side 9 times out of 10

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View Marcus's profile

Marcus

Thanks Chuck. That might just be a 5 star feather board if it works as well as the Magswitch for half the price.

Nice review, I have looked at them a few times. Price does seem steep for magnets. But once you have it I can see myself saying why did ai wait so long.

View Craftsman70's profile

Craftsman70

I have the Ridgid one and like it also. All the Home Depots in my area, southwestern PA, have stopped carrying them. I think their desicion not to carry them is not because they aren’t a good product, but they didn’t sell enough of them. My local HD’s no longer carry the Ridgid 4512 tablesaw nor any bandsaws. I wish I could use it on my fence, but its aluminum. So I’m trying to decide between putting slot down an artificial fence and use a traditional feather board, or buy something like board buddies.

View Mike's profile

Mike

I have the double feather board model that allows you to use it on the table saw or bandsaw. I can even position it with one hand if I need to. Overall a very good product.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com