Dust Collector Grizzly 0548ZP

Review by Pie posted 573 days ago 3616 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Collector Grizzly 0548ZP Dust Collector Grizzly 0548ZP No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well another year has come and gone and I must have been a real good boy this year. Look what Santa brought me! It arrived in 2 boxes early November and sat in my garage until I was allowed to open it on Christmas Day. What a torture and a display in self control that was. I was drooling like a rabid dog, wanting to tear into it and hook it up etc. but my wife said I had to wait till Santa arrived. I still can’ figure that one out. Why would Santa drop off my present in early November just to make me wait. LOL Anyway, I was in the middle of a workshop (basement) renovation and wasn’t ready for it anyhow. So Christmas arrives and I have my renovation job at a point where I can hook this DC up and let it rip. And MAN-OH-MAN does it rip. Sounds like a jet engine taking off. But it sucks like a, like a well, well like a Dust Collector (got to keep it clean). Assembly was very easy and took maybe 30 minutes, one problem was the flange on a piece was slightly bent but that was an easy fix. The instructions were well written and all the parts were there plus an extra plastic bag. I went to Woodcraft and bought a remote switch with it, which makes it nice.
Pros- easy assembly, suction is wonderful, looks nice, on casters, 3 ports, no dust noticed through the filter.
Cons- bent flange, louder than I thought. I have to wear ear muffs more often which is probably a good thing.
It’s not running continuous so the noise isn’t bad. My workshop area is 36’ x 10’ so I am bot sitting right on top of it. I was thinking of building an enclosure to help with the noise but that will be later on down the road.

So now I have to run the ducting etc and finish my renovation. I went from a home made cyclone with a shop-vac attachment to this so its a major improvement. So this DC with my $150.00 garage-sell find “Jet AFS-1000 Air Filtration Unit” really keeps this dust to a minimum. Oh yeah plus my dust mask.

-- Pie

View Pie's profile

Pie

183 posts in 2006 days

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

I got the same one earlier this year. It does a great job, almost have the first bag full. I had to use a tap on one of the flange holes other than that everything went together jus fine.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

You know you got something special when it comes in 2 boxes …

Thanks for the review. Do you think you will put a separator on it?

View mbs's profile

mbs

Your wife should be charged with cruel and unusual punishment for making you wait.

I recommend you make a Thein top hat separator for the unit and your filter will work MUCH better and last a lot longer. Just what you needed – another project!

Good luck.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

Ditto what mbs said about the Thein pre-separator. A friend has the same DC, and he made a corner closet
for it with real fine filters to exhaust the air. It quieted the DC quite a bit, but he still refers to it as his monster
in the closet.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Pie's profile

Pie

183 posts in 2006 days

I think I will put a separator on it since it will save on the filter. I was wondering if anyone wrote Grizzly about the minor problem they had with their dc. I realize the issues are minor but it may help with their quality issues. Also, what material did you guys use to run your branches to your other equipment? I am thinking of using a combo of 5’ metal ducting and clear hose? The clear house being the branches. I want t to do it correct and save money at the same time.

-- Pie

View MJCD's profile

MJCD

A Recommended 2013 DC upgrade list:

Be religious about using it; spend some money on good blast gates (I could use some myself); use a pre-impeller Thein Separator (or Oneida Super Dust Deputy) to eliminate the bulk going through the impeller, and install a HEPA filter (Wynn Environmental is a good choice, but there are many) as soon as possible.

None of this has to be done, but this will significantly improve your already significantly improved dust collection.
MJCD

-- Lead By Example; Make a Difference

View Bob A in NJ's profile

Bob A in NJ

Hi, I just got this model also but the green version. Everything went together well, no issues at all with fit or finish, good instructions. The only thing I don’t like is the handle to shake the dust out. It’s only on one side of the drum. Since it’s against the wall, you cannot turn it 360 degrees without hugging the filter.

To correct this issue, I went to Home Depot, bent a piece of 1/2” conduit from the plumbing isle at a right angle. The conduit comes in 5” sections. Once home, I cut the conduit to the same dimensions of the handle taking into account the extra length needed to span the length of handle. I attached it to the current handle with 3 hose clamps. Now, it’s easy to turn the flappers without hugging the filter. I agree this thing sucks well, its a bit loud but it’s worth it to get the dust out.

Will be running 4” metal runs to connect it to my miter saw, table saw and lathe this week.

Very happy with it.

-- Bob A in NJ

I know someone who built an enclosure just big enough for the unit on the outside of their shop to get rid of the noise

-- Norman

View MitchG40's profile

MitchG40

I know this is an old post, but I am now tortured with the decision of which DC to purchase. I like the G0548ZP, but wonder if I will regret not going for the new cyclone DC instead. I’m only a one man shop (hobbyist) so I am not sure the cost of the cyclone is justified. This one seems to have a ton of CFM,... probably ore than I will ever need. All I know is that I want to plumb lines thru the 21×21 shop so I can easily use the DC instead of moving it from tool to tool. Also, I am really bad about buying a tool that I can ‘afford’ at the time and then lusting over the upgrade until I go out and buy that too. Ugh!! So torn.