Floor mats are a good value but not the best I've used

Review by mbs posted 12-30-2012 10:23 PM 1314 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Floor mats are a good value but not the best I've used No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased two sets of floor mats from Rockler because they were on sale and I got free shipping. Each set was $20 for 20 square feet (6 pcs) which is pretty cheap at $1/sq. ft. I place them around my workbench but I don’t put them in front of my table saw because they could be a trip hazard. I’ve used these for years at my other shop so while I only gave them 4 stars, I like the value enough to buy them again.

They provide some cushioning to the feet and protect tools that are accidentally dropped on the floor.

The interlocking feature is ok but not great. At times they come apart when sweeping or blowing air under them. And, overtime, some of the interlocking ends can tear off.

One of the things I like about the mats is they’re light enough that they lift up a bit when blowing dust/chips off so they’re pretty easy to clean up around.

I actually prefer the heavier, industrial grade mats shown below but they’re $15/sq. ft. which is out of my price range for floor mats. I would give these mats 5 stars for quality but 1 star on overall value.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#1 posted 12-31-2012 08:41 AM

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2568 posts in 2082 days

#2 posted 12-31-2012 11:52 AM

Might I suggest that you look at Christmas Tree Shop or another discount house… they are about $12 for the 6 pieces and I bet they are the same thing. I bought a bunch for another area in my basement and ended up putting 2 at each work station. I agree about the heavier mats…I put one in front of my workbench and it is much easier on the feet, ankles and hips.
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Chris Moellering's profile

Chris Moellering

#3 posted 12-31-2012 01:26 PM

You can also keep an eye out at sporting goods stores or even Wal-Mart. I bought essentially the same thing (looks identical) about 2 years ago for a home gym corner in a basement. I’ve thought about using them in my workshop, but since it’s a “get it out/put it up” garage shop, just hasn’t seemed worth the effort.

They do make a difference when you’re on your feet for prolonged periods, though.

-- Grace & peace, Chris+

View dorr1's profile

dorr1

#4 posted 12-31-2012 01:39 PM

These are almost always on sale at my local HF, as a 4 pack. In my small unheated, cement floor shop, I put these down in a big ring around my tools. They reduce fatigue, insulate my feet, cushion dropped things, and they clean up very easily. If I decide to rearrange tools, no problem. They can be easily changed to suit your arrangement.

-- -Dan

#5 posted 12-31-2012 03:56 PM

HF has something very similar on sale for $10 for a 4 pack (normally $15)

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#6 posted 01-02-2013 05:35 PM

I been using my 8 pcs. (two packs) bought at HF for about two years now, and save that they pick up into the vacuum cleaner head too easily due to light weight, I love them. Back then, they were $7 a pack. Just would not pay $20 for a pack of 6.
When they get older, the bottoms get a little hard from being on the concrete, and with a little dust underneath, they will slide around a bit. Still, they allow me to stand for hours in my shop pain free. Overall, a good purchase for the egonomics.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

#7 posted 03-12-2013 04:53 AM

Update – I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in the shop lately. Today, I stood on these mats for 10 hours and I’m surprised that my feet aren’t tired like they’ve been in the past. My 6” square fell out of my apron today and landed on the mat. It was a nice, soft landing. I like these more and more each day.