Good turning jacket

Review by Kreegan posted 12-30-2012 09:00 PM 3806 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good turning jacket No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After the first time I turned green wood, I decided that I needed some kind of turner’s smock or coat. So I looked around at the available options, and didn’t really like what was out there. Everything was either too pricey or looked like it didn’t provide the kind of coverage I wanted. On a turner’s forum somewhere, I read that some people recommended chef’s jackets or welding coats. I looked at chef’s coats and didn’t find any with the kind of neck I wanted. So then I looked at welding coats, and that’s when I found the Black Stallion BSX Welding Coat on Amazon for around 30 dollars.

This coat is made of a very thick cotton, and comes in a cool blue and black design, with flames on the side. The coat is fastened with snaps. There are 2 on the sleeves so you can adjust to suit you. There are also 2 on the neck, so that you can adjust that as well. I have a 17 1/2 inch neck and find that the tightest snap is just right for turning. Not too tight and not loose enough to let shavings in. There are also snaps on the sides so you can cinch it up tighter around your torso. There’s a pencil pocket on the sleeve, and pockets inside. I use the pencil pocket, but haven’t really used the inside ones, so I can’t comment on those.

This coat is actually surprisingly good at helping to keep you warm. I usually wear it over a long sleeve t-shirt and that’s enough to keep me warm in my unheated garage with the space heaters going. I put it on for warmth even when I’m not turning. It’s not for outside wear or anything, but definitely helps keep you warmer than a thinner material would. It’s easy to clean shavings and sawdust off the coat. I just shake it off when I’m done and then hang it up. I haven’t washed it yet, so I don’t know how it will do in the wash.

My only real complaint with the coat is the sleeves, and I can’t really consider it too much of an issue, since this is a welding coat and not a specifically designed turning coat. The snaps work fine in terms of keeping the sleeves closed up so that shavings don’t enter, but they have a bit of a loose flap that I don’t like having around a lathe. I get around this by using some velcro straps around the cuff. If I knew how to sew, I’d replace the snaps with velcro, but this works in the meantime. Overall I’m really happy with this coat.

View Kreegan's profile

Kreegan

View RoodyJ's profile

RoodyJ

#1 posted 01-01-2013 08:49 PM

I’ve been looking for the same thing for several months. Just can’t see spending over $50 for what amounts to a large t-shirt with sleeves. I think your find is a treasure. Gonna get one today for myself.

-- Jim, Maryland

View Craftsman70's profile

Craftsman70

#2 posted 01-03-2013 07:26 PM

Curious, is that the XL that fit the 17.5” neck size? How was the length in the arms?

View Kreegan's profile

Kreegan

#3 posted 01-03-2013 07:36 PM

Yes, I have the XL and that’s what fit my 17.5” neck on the tightest snap. The looser one would likely fit around a 19” neck. The sleeves on the XL fit me just right. I’m 5’10”ish. I don’t have a dress shirt handy, but I think I wear around 35-36” sleeves. If you’re much over 6 feet, I think the sleeves might be a bit short.