The most incredible value in the industry

Review by musicgioni posted 600 days ago 3167 views 2 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The most incredible value in the industry No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought a new Rikon 18” band Saw for my shop a few weeks ago. This is really my first band saw and I am very happy with it. I decided on buying a couple of after market blades by a very reputable manufacturer but I had so many issues with them that I send those back to woodcraft where I bought them. The third blade came directly from the manufacturer and for some reason did much better for me than the first two. Still, cuts with this 3/4” wide, 2-3 TPI blade were not as smooth as I would like. After seeing a video in Youtube about the Wood slicer blade I decided to order a 1/2” wide one for me. Well friends, this is the Saw Blade to have! All the Hype you have heard about it is true. The blade runs perfectly true and cuts anything I tried (up to a 5” oak I had at hand) like nothing. The best of all is that with the 3-4 TPI there is no oscillation what-so-ever and the cuts are so smooth that they almost look like they came from my table saw. I am a believer in the wood slicer blades and these are the ONLY blades I will ever use in my shop from now on. I am planning to also buy their 3/4” for cutting logs etc and I will sell the one from the other manufacturer soon.

Please do yourselves a favor and try these blades and you will see what I mean. For the money that Highland Hardware is selling these you could never find a better blade out there even if you spent 2 times more.

Happy Dust Making everyone

View musicgioni's profile

musicgioni

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

I too bought an un-named blade from woodcraft and like you did not care for it. I too saw the video about the woodslicer and I too concur they are the best. I usually cut my stock a little wide, leaving some extra for the planer…..not needed with the woodslicer, a little 150 grit love and they are good to go. If you are skered about spending the $30 dont be, they are worth every cent.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View WoodRasp's profile

WoodRasp

I have used the Wood Slicer Resawing Blades from Highland for years. They are by far the best blades to use for resawing dried wood. I agree with Highland’s statement! ”LEGENDARY

-- The WoodRasp - "Let your inspirations inspire me, and mine inspire yours”

Did you actually compare this blade to other 1/2” 3-4tpi blades , or just the 3/4” 2-3tpi no name brand ?
Obviously , the more teeth , the smoother the cut should be ,especially on a name brand blade : )

View knotheadswoodshed's profile

knotheadswoodshed

I was also a big fan of the Woodslicer, when I upgraded to my new Rikon BS, I found the same blades (as near as I can tell) from Spectrum Supply at half the price.

-- Randy - "I dont make mistakes, I make design change opportunities" www.knotheadswoodshed.com

Nice review. I have used Wood Slicer blades for yrs. I have tried a few different ones in the past as well. With that said, there was a review on here the other day that had some positive reviews and results as well. Being I just bought the riser kit for my 14 inch Band Saw I need to buy all blades on a bigger size. I plan on giving these carbide bits mentioned in that previous review. The price is right and I’ll be able to really compare them to a product I have used for a few yrs.

Thx for the info.

View mbs's profile

mbs

I can’t figure out why band saw blade manufacturers produce crappy blades. I have a bunch of them that aren’t worth putting on my bandsaw. I don’t know why I keep them in my shop.

I’d like to see an apples to apples comparison between the Diamond blade and the woodslicer for resawing and regular cutting. The review I did on the 3/8” diamond blade was not intended to be a resaw blade review.

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

Are they low tension like the Timberwolves? I kind of like that about them.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

374 posts in 2057 days

I like the Timberwolves myself. 3/16 for forming and 1/2 wet wood blade for cutting down logs to size on my 14” GS555. I have yet to try anything else.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Thanks for the review. I’m grabbing one of these for my 10” craftsman bandsaw.
I know it’s not a resaw machine, but works fine within it’s capacity.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View WoodRasp's profile

WoodRasp

Most of the resawing I do is with walnut stock in the 5-10” range utilizing the ¾ Wood Slicer blade. In my opinion, the tension of the blade has several different factors that need to be considered, i.e. saw horsepower, type of wood (hard –vs. soft) and the age of the equipment. I always respect the manufactures recommendation, but I know my equipment and I listen to what my equipment is trying to tell me. I do not use the tension gauge on either of my BS’s as the manufactures specs are to hard on the equipment. Amp draw on the motors and unnecessary load pressure on the bearings & tires. I pretty much follow the guidelines outlined in the attached link to a tee.

In a perfect world I would prefer the Wood Slicer in a 1” width as this would give even more control in the cutting process. I do not recommend the Wood Slicer blade for everyday use as it was designed for straight line resawing. You really can’t beat a ¼ or ½” blade for everyday use. If your intentions are to mill down logs (10-12”Dia) you really need to be in the 2 HP range or larger. Once you have setup the blade and saw properly your BS should sound like a well tuned sewing machine.

-- The WoodRasp - "Let your inspirations inspire me, and mine inspire yours”

View ArtistryinWood's profile

ArtistryinWood

I to have used the Wood Slicer Resaw Blade from Highland, it performed very well for about ten minutes. I ordered it to cut some veneer for a friend from a 10” wide piece of Quartersawn Oak. As i said it worked very well on the first board, i sliced of some beautiful 1/16” pieces, very smooth cut and with the thin kerf was able to get a few extra pieces. The next board had a knot and after it cut through it, lost its set and would no longer track straight. Now i know a knot in Oak can be very hard, but i put my regular 1/2” Timberwolf back in and finished the board with no problems. Disappointed

-- It seem's to me i could live my life, a lot better than i think i am. Andrew, Midland, Ont.

View Straightbowed's profile

Straightbowed

I use timberwolf 1 inch on my rikon 345 they cut great till you hit a nail but I took it off done a little touchup and it’s back to sawing ok but it’s time to retire it but it cut good for a while

-- Stevo, work in tha city woodshop in the country

View Greg's profile

Greg

Oh yea Straightbowed. The T-wolves gotta be put down out behind the barn once you hit a nail. I was happy with my T-wolf b4 that tho. I may have to try a Wood Slicer.

-- You don't have a custom made heirloom fly fishing Net? http://www.Sierra-Nets.com

View TimCoxRox's profile

TimCoxRox

Thanks for the review! It is perfect timing. I will have to pick up a few.

View musicgioni's profile

musicgioni

Hi guys, thanks for the many comments on this mini-review of mine. DUSTY56 of course I compared the Woodslicer to the “no name” or rather ” Name withheld” brand band saw blade I still have in my shop. There is NO comparison! The Woodslicer is CHEAPER, runs way smoother (no flutter, no wobble no jitter) and cuts as well but much smoother due to the extra tooth per inch it has. Trust me that the “Name Withheld” brand is BIG and much more famous than the Woodslicer. Still, after THREE of their bloody blades wracking havoc with my BS I have serious reservations with their prodcuts. By the way, I wrote a more “emotional” and lengthy review on my Rikon 18” at amazon.com and there I do name the manufacturer.

For now, I will keep the 3/4” 2-3TPI I have for log re-sawing (it seems to cut more aggresively than the WSlicer)and use the WSlicer for higher quality block re-sawing and every day cutting. I was seriously ready to send my TS back because of issues that were obviously NOT entirely the saw’s after all. If therey were the saw would not run OK with any blades at all. I did have some issues with the wheels being slightly un-balanced but Rikon changed them Immediately with NO comments. After that I saw the stock blade running beautifuly but the name brand blades shaking like balarinas. The WSlicer also runs straight as a blade (no pun intended) w/o any jitter at all and htis makes it cut as smooth as it does. Any jitter (unwanted motion of the balde will mess up the cut).

WoodRasp, in a perfect world I would like to have a 1/4” that does everything! I went the 1” route too and I did not like handling a blade that was trying to kill me! For a home shop there is no need for one in my opinion and after using the 3/4” I am convinced of that. The tensioning requirements of a 1” blade taxes most but the very best BSs. My BS can handle them but why tax the motor w/o need?

Happy new year guys! Keep making dust whenever you can…