Best bandsaw blade I've ever used and very reasonably priced.

Review by mbs posted 12-28-2012 11:16 PM 5936 views 10 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best bandsaw blade I've ever used and very reasonably priced. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hal Taylor turned me on to Diamond Sterling blades. I’ve been using them for a year now. I bought the 3/8” 3 TPI, .032” blade and I love it. It is much, much better than the Olsen blades. I prefer the Diamond over the Tri-master (I believe) too. I think I paid around $100 for the Tri-master and I got the Diamond Sterling from here for around $20. I’m not affiliated with them at all.

I had to cut some wood on a friends bandsaw who didn’t have the Diamond blade and I almost quit halfway through. what a struggle it was. The Diamond blade cuts easily and leaves a smooth surface!

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#1 posted 12-28-2012 11:46 PM

Thanks for the review. Can you compare these to a Woodslicer? It’s my go-to but nearly double the price.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

#2 posted 12-28-2012 11:51 PM

Did you use the Olsen, or the Olsen All-Pro blade?
Just curious, as I have been pretty happy with the All-Pro for resawing.
Nice review.

#3 posted 12-29-2012 12:57 AM

Interesting and I will give them a try. I just bought the riser kit for my Grizzly 14 inch Band saw and need some bigger blades. I have used timberwold for ever but if these are as good as your saying it will save some $$$$.
Thx for the info.

#4 posted 12-29-2012 01:00 AM

I don’t recall the specific Olsen blade I used but I’ve never been satisfied with any Olsen blade. Maybe I didn’t purchase they correct one. And I’ve never used a Woodslicer although I’ve heard good things about them. I don’t do a lot of resawing and the resawing I’ve done was basically cutting a board in halves rather than making veneer. The 3/8” Diamond blade did a nice job of it.

I’d like to hear others comment about their experience with Woodslicers and Diamond blades.

View Woodendeavor's profile

Woodendeavor

#5 posted 12-29-2012 02:03 AM

I have been praising the Diamond blades for some time now on the forums. I learned about them from the same person you did, Hal Taylor. I had primarily used Timber wolf blades before and decided to buy a 3/8” diamond for some curve work I was doing thinking that if the blade was just mediocre I did not spend too much money on it, I never put the Timber Wolf back on. I tell anyone and everyone, make the change and never look back

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#6 posted 12-29-2012 02:30 AM

At that price I need to try one of these. Others have bragged on these as well. And I’ve already got too many BS blades! Thanks for the review.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#7 posted 12-29-2012 03:51 AM

The price listed is the shortest blade. They increase in price based on the length just like other manufactures.

View LeChuck's profile

LeChuck

#8 posted 12-29-2012 04:55 AM

This is encouraging. I recently bought that same blade and planning to try it soon…

-- David - Tucson, AZ

View bugz's profile

bugz

#9 posted 12-29-2012 04:06 PM

I have run these for 2or 3 years now, I also run the 3/8” 3 tooth blade, I resawed 10” walnut this morning on my 14” rikon, with Carter guides, was one planer pass from being perfect. They are resonable priced and the service from Hal Talyor is top notch.

-- Bob, Lewistown, Montana. Kindness is the Language the blind can see and deaf can hear. - Mark Twain

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

#10 posted 12-29-2012 08:26 PM

How quietly do these blades cut? One of my favorite aspects of the Woodslicer is the relatively quiet cut – are these also quiet or similar to other blades?

View Dunelm's profile

Dunelm

#11 posted 12-29-2012 08:41 PM

These look very interesting. The 3/8” seems to be popular but is the 1/2” better for straight (not curved) resawing? If others have had good success with the 3/8 maybe that’s the way to go.

-- Bruce -- Canada

View cabbie's profile

cabbie

#12 posted 12-29-2012 09:12 PM

I’ll have to give these a look. I’m thinking of getting a Woodslicer, but this sounds like equal or better performance for much lower cost—win/win!

Jim

-- Jim, Altadena, CA

View Stormy's profile

Stormy

#13 posted 12-29-2012 11:27 PM

OK I just bought one.

-- Stormy: Sometimes the wood just tells you what it wants to be.

#14 posted 12-29-2012 11:46 PM

Live4ever – I don’t do enough blade changing and bandsawing to have noticed the noise level of the blade. And I haven’t used a woodslicer. I recently watched a video of the woodslicer and I was impressed with the surface finish.

#15 posted 12-30-2012 10:57 PM

I have used nothing but Timber Wolf blades. I just received a new one and for the first time I am not thirllled wiht the cut of this blade. I will try one of these for sure.

Thanks for the review and possible new blade

-- Norman