Workshop heating

Review by BoxBuilder posted 12-28-2012 10:58 PM 4863 views 1 time favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Workshop heating No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When we built our home about 18 years ago I had a workshop added in rear of 2 car garage. 340 sq. ft. with 10 foot ceiling. Spent a long time looking for a good heat source. Tried kerosene heater but hated the odor. Saw an ad for the Envi heater (see eheat.com) & ordered 2 with thermostats. About $280 for the 2. Easy install – 2 screws, hang them & plug in. They claim each will cost about 4 cents an hour. Weather here has been mid 30”s for past month. Took about a week till all the machinery warmed up but it is now 60 to 64 in the shop & very comfortable even working in just a light shirt. They also have hardwired models. I leave them on all the time. No noise, no fans just even heat. And they do not get too hot to touch. They sugest mounting so the bottom of heater is about 8 inches from the floor. If you have a similar situation I would suggest a look see. They even give you a 30 day return window.

#1 posted 12-28-2012 11:54 PM

Winter solved!

View BurtC's profile

BurtC

#2 posted 12-29-2012 12:17 AM

Interesting… Will have to look into these. What of the fine air born dust get into heater?
I currently use a couple of the oil filled heaters and they keep my shop to 60 degrees when I’m not in there.
I then fire up a space heater to bump temp up 8 degrees or so.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#3 posted 12-29-2012 03:10 AM

It took a week for the equipment to warm up? I have a garage door that gets opened and closed in the winter. Is there a setting that can warm a room faster?

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#4 posted 12-29-2012 03:56 AM

Thanks for the review; I’m currently looking into heating options myself. :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

#5 posted 12-29-2012 04:43 AM

Fine dust can be blown out ith the compressor I have. Took about a week but there had been no heat for several months. I have been pleased with the results so far. The thermostats work quite well but they do not give great heat on a moments notice. 60 to 64 degrees works well for me.

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#6 posted 12-29-2012 05:07 AM

How does it stack up against opening and closing garage doors? My shop shares the space of a 3 car garage, and it gets down to below zero where I’m at. Not that I’m out in the shop when it’s that cold, but when it’s around 20-30 in the winter it would be nice to use the shop with some heat.

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

#7 posted 12-29-2012 01:08 PM

I have a garage/woodshop that’s about 750 sq. ft.
I live in the Chicago area so the wind and temps can get pretty extreme.
This is a natural gas 45,000 BTU hanging furnace I had installed. It takes about 1-1/2 hours to heat the garage from 32 to 64 degrees. Once up to temp., it cycles about every 15 minutes to maintain the temp. It’s only on for maybe 5 minutes when cycling. The unit cost is about $600.00+ installation.
Unfortunately, the garage is not insulated and no way I’m going through that giant job. The garage is finished in drywall and painted.

#8 posted 12-29-2012 02:27 PM

Lab7654
My shop is behind the garage with a separate door so opening & closing garage doors is not an issue.

#9 posted 12-29-2012 02:28 PM

Jim C
That looks like a great heating solution as well.

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

#10 posted 12-29-2012 04:15 PM

@Jim C, I have considered different natural gas heaters. Do you have a feel for how much it costs to run it? I understand that this depends on a lot of variables.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

#11 posted 12-29-2012 04:29 PM

Jesse
I really don’t have any figures, but it is the most efficient for the climate here in Chicago.
I’m sure if my garage was insulated properly, whatever my cost’s are now, would probably be cut in half.

View toolmantim's profile

toolmantim

#12 posted 12-30-2012 03:46 AM

Hey, jim C, Wow, that’s some heater. Being a EnergyStar rated contractor there are numerous options today you might want to explore in an attempt to contain some of that heat your generating with that unit. You would be surprised at whats involved to bring up the R-value in your walls and ceilings. Over the course of a few heating seasons, the savings will end up paying for itself. And now there are ways that involve very little damage to existing drywall. You might want to look into this. Good luck.

-- " My favorite Place in Life, The Shop "

#13 posted 12-30-2012 04:25 AM

Hey Toolmantim,
I’m open to ideas, do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#14 posted 12-30-2012 03:41 PM

JimC… I looked at that for my shop (30’X40” pole barn) but at the time the cost was an issue. So now I use a torpedo style kero heater to do the initial warm up on the shop and then I use this to keep the area I’m in just warm enough so I can shut down the kerosene heater and not have the smell…

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#15 posted 12-30-2012 04:03 PM

ok,,, having trouble adding an image this morning. Trying again… this is what I use for a space heater. I welded a small cart so I could roll it around as I moved about in the shop.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward