Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig

Review by AJswoodshop posted 12-26-2012 02:17 PM 3568 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A few people asked me to do a review on my dovetail jig, so I thought I would do a review of my Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig. It’s a amazing jig, I’ve used it a few times and it is very handy to have.

-Includes the 4210 half blind template, and the 4212 through dovetail template. Each template works just how it should and I’m very happy with the results.
-The straight bit and dovetail bit (1/2’’ shank) are included with the jig and they are very nice bits.
-It includes two template guides to follow the fingers in the jig.
-It also can do box joints, sliding dovetails, and of course half-blind dovetails and through dovetails.
-The jig is very high quality, I would be very surprised if something broke.
-It also includes T-handle Hex wrench to adjust the jig.

I don’t have any negatives for this jig, everything works out perfectly for me. I highly recommend this jig, it’s a great jig for the price.

View AJswoodshop's profile

#1 posted 12-26-2012 04:25 PM

Good review AJ

-- Custom furniture

4185 posts in 1900 days

#2 posted 12-26-2012 05:30 PM

Yes sir, that is a keeper. I saw a good tip on the Woodsmith Shop TV show. You add locknuts under the knobs that hold the aluminum dovetail template in place. That way once you are adjusted to an accurate setting, the template won’t move.
I tried it, and it works well.

View Rick1911's profile

#3 posted 12-26-2012 10:15 PM

Thanks for the good review – mine arrives on Friday. Couldn’t pass up the deal on
$149 minus $20 instant promotion deduction – along with free two day shipping (with Amazon Prime) came to $129 – which is, I think, a real bargain.
THAT being said – it’s going to be 12 degrees Saturday morning – so my garage/shop might be a little too chilly to try it out. However . . . .

-- “Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”

View NiteWalker's profile

#4 posted 12-27-2012 01:11 AM

It’s a great jig. I grabbed mine last year when there was a $20 off $100 promo plus a $25 rebate. $105 out the door and I’m happy with it. :)

Thanks for the tips on the locknuts pinto, that will help.
There’s another post of a LJ who used a different angle dovetail bit with great results.
Here and here. Grab that advanced manual too.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View sedcokid's profile

#5 posted 12-27-2012 01:24 AM

Good review AJ

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View Pete_Jud's profile

#6 posted 12-28-2012 06:00 AM

I have two of these, one set up for pins, the other for tales mounted on the same board, and two PC routers dedicated to them. Good product.

-- Life is to short to own an ugly boat.