Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer)

Review by Bradley Anderson posted 604 days ago 6365 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) Makita RT0700C Roumer (Router/Trimmer) Click the pictures to enlarge them

So this is my first power tool review, so I will be doing on my Christmas gift I got which was the Makita RT0700C router (Picture 1). On first looks the router looks to be a cross between a trimmer and fixed base router.

The router looks and feels to be very well built with an aluminium base and main body. The top of the motor is plastic with the power lead come out of the side, which makes it easy to turn upside down and change bits over. The motor on this tool is a 710 watt electronic variable speed which I think is a bit notchie when changing while the tool is running. The motor also offers soft start which seems to be 10,000RPM then to full running speed within a second or so. The tool has a spindle speed of 10,000 – 30,000RPM which makes it great for all types of wood and moulding jobs. The spindle has both a push button spindle lock as well as the standard two spanners for changing router bits.

The base is a standard round base 75mm with a nice clear viewing area. The base has a gear adjustment for height (See Picture 2). The base also has a nice tight fitting clear dust collector which hooks up to a 32mm hose. The power tool is supplied in an aluminium case with foam cut outs which hold the top great (Picture 3). My over all rating on this tool is great it’s a heavy tool at 1.8kg but for what ill be using it for is just fine, also at the price of $169AU is very affordable to both the home work shop and has the quality to go with it for the professional woodworker.

Just my take…

Brad Anderson

-- Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes! - "Walter Blodget" https://www.facebook.com/bradandersonfinefurniturewoodworking

View Bradley Anderson's profile

Bradley Anderson

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

146 posts in 1901 days

My mate has one of these. It is a great little machine. Much better than my Bosch gfk 600. The tilting base proves very useful, as does the variable speed and decent extraction.

Its on my shopping list now as we hardly ever use the old Bosch one when on site.

Ollie

-- Ollie, UK.

View shelly_b's profile

shelly_b

I really like the height adjustment on that. I have a bosch 2 1/4 HP in my router table and it’s a reall PITA to adjust the height. I have already stripped the above table hex for height adjustment. The threads are so small that the smallest amount of dust makes it really hard to adjust and a washer on the threaded rod broke also so now it doesn’t work at all. I have to manuallly adjust the height…other than that no complaints lol. I also have a frued but don’t have a plate for it yet so haven’t gotten to try it. I will have to look into this one b/c I am on the look out for a smaller router for trim/hinge work. thanks for the review!

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

Thanks for your thoughts on the Makita. I’ve been mulling that router myself.

These “just opened the box” reviews are pretty much useless and tell us basically nothing that we can’t read at the manufacturers site.
Let us know what you like and or don’t like about the tool after you put some hours on it .
Thanks and Happy New Year : )

112011 posts in 2204 days

View gvales's profile

gvales

I bought the Makita RT0700CX3 which comes with all the goodies! Love it. I have the Bosch Colt, was going to order the plunge base for it, but decided to get this instead for a few bucks more which has the plunge base plus all! I do feel the micro adjust is a bit sloppy, but easy, as to compare the colt to it, it micro adjusts very finely, BUT, the colt is sorta hit or miss on the tint threads…I feel they are stripped out sometimes.